//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Kawasaki KLT 250 prairie

--
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteZer0 View Post
    Yeah I don’t plan on riding through mud holes or anything with it. Just get together with some friends and ride trails. I was just curious if it handled like any other trike in the woods. Easy to slide, take bumps etc but like you said about the tires being a major factor.

Once I get it running ill test it out with varying psi on the little bit of trails I have around here and see how it feels. Most my buddies trikes are ragged out so I would assume the shocks are done for on then anyway so I should be used to a tougher ride.

I was just unsure since there is no rear suspension and only tire give for absorption how it would compare to riding one with a shock.

They like to go at a decent pace I’m just worried about keeping up, I think most of the trails they have out there I didn’t get out of 2nd gear on either trike I rode that day. Some small hills but nothing major to climb and I already told them I’m not hill climbing anything lol.
    That model does not like to slide, and you definitely will not be able to keep up with a trike that has a rear shock like a 200x and a decent rider.

How much is the seller asking for it?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by rpeters View Post
    That model does not like to slide, and you definitely will not be able to keep up with a trike that has a rear shock like a 200x and a decent rider.

How much is the seller asking for it?
    Only $1000, probably just keep an eye out for a cheap 200 to woods ride. Still picking up this one as I’ve never seen or heard of one before.

--
    I might be all right as far as trail riding goes, I just found out that 2 out of the 4 trikes don’t have rear suspension either so I should be able to keep up lol.

--

Kawasaki KLT 250 prairie

Just got home with it and did a quick clean on the carb and jets, drained what seemed like 5 gallons of gas out of the tank. Gas was clean but for sure old as al get out, battery is huge but I’m going to look around on my breaks tomorrow and see if I can find one by the weekend.

It did at some point get a new grey right rear and tire and rim but front the left rear ar eoriginal, I did notice that someone had out silicone over one of the holes on the carb, I’m assuming the idle air maybe? Smal recessed hole on the side.

Rolls super easy when pushing around, going to get a new fuel filter tomorrow if I can as well since it had one between the tank and fuel pump. Other than that I’m excited to throw some fresh gas in it and a battery and see if she will live again.

--
    Dang, that thing looks even better now. Has to be one of the nicest, original condition Kawasaki Prairies out there.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--

Kawasaki KLT 250 prairie

Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    Dang, that thing looks even better now. Has to be one of the nicest, original condition Kawasaki Prairies out there.
    It’s not without some bumps and scraps but it’s in really good shape. It is an 84 according to the tag.

He told me not to give him a dime until I can get it running and make sure everything is good.

--
    That’s a nice original bike. I like it! Look forward to your updates.

--
    Small update, I took a picture of the battery and sent it to a friend of mine who works for a company that gets discounts on parts etc and had him pick me up I’m assuming the same battery for 43 plus tax so I should have a battery by tonight.

Might stop and get some more carb cleaner and do the carb one more time then fill with fresh gas, throw the battery in and hope for the best.

This is the battery that was in it, thought I was going to have to remove the rear tire to get it out lol.

--
    I can't fathom why someone would silicone a hole up on carb? I suggest downloading the free online manual before you start taking things apart and re-assembling. It's important to follow factory settings and torque specs. Personally, I don't use anything but a Yuasa in any of my ATV's. Expensive in Canada, (~$130.00), but I've only ever put 2 in my 22 year old quad.

https://threewheelermanuals.com/kawazaki
    Last edited by coolpool; 07-01-2020 at 09:20 AM.
    Trikes
    1970/71 US 90 (Aquarius Blue)
    1970/71 US 90 (Future Project)
    1972/73 US 90 Camo Project (110 Big Bore)
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1977 ATC 90 w/83 110 motor (Fugly)
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

1965 Marketeer 3 Wheel Golf Cart with 1986 Honda 250 drivetrain

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-coopool
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-coolpool

--
    Quote Originally Posted by coolpool View Post
    I can't fathom why someone would silicone a hole up on carb? I suggest downloading the free online manual before you start taking things apart and re-assembling. It's important to follow factory settings and torque specs. Personally, I don't use anything but a Yuasa in any of my ATV's. Expensive in Canada, (~$130.00), but I've only ever put 2 in my 22 year old quad.

https://threewheelermanuals.com/kawazaki
    The only thing I took off the carb was the bowl and jets to spray them out to make sure the holes flowed freely with no obstruction. It actually didn’t have much tarnish on it at all. I didn’t mess with the silicone or other side screw.

I’m only guessing that it was the idle screw as it was recessed in the side of the carb, choke side and I vaguely remember something about the idle screw being there or around on that side of the carb. Might have been leaking slightly or something so they sealed it I’m not sure.

I will snap a pic of it tonight once I get home to show what I’m looking at. Other than that the carb looked relatively clean inside and out.

I’ll probably just re spray the jets and carb one more time, then put it back together and see what it does with the new battery.

--
    Gotta let the battery charge overnight before I can give it a go. Just hooked the fuel line back up with fuel filter so that’s ready to go.

Only thing I can figure with the silicone is maybe if it is the idle screw the vibration was causing it to back off so they did that to stop it from backing out idk. Hoping by tomorrow afternoon I can slap the battery in and give it a go. I’m hoping it will fire right up without much effort since it’s been taken care of.

I’m going to try and ‘prime the line’ by blowing into the tank before I dip the key on to try and help it out as much as I can since it’s been a while.

--
    Also at this point im just wanting to make sure everything is good to go and checks out then I’ll order an AGM battery to use once this one dies out.

I want to make sure the clutches aren’t stuck, it will run the way it sits and I don’t need anything else currently.

I’m super excited and impatient sometimes and this is one of those times where I can’t wait to find out how everything is as good as it looks on this ole classic.

--
    Never thought to ask but what engine oil would you guys recommend I out in it? Once I know it’s running I want to change the oil because it’s hard to tell the last time it’s been done and he said he never changed it when I bought it 5-6 years ago

--
    So fresh gas, new battery and jet clean it fired right up, rode it around for a good while then started to cut out like it was starving for fuel.

Can’t hear the pump click on now either when I turn the key back on, wondering if the pump literally just gave out.

Burns a little bit of oil but man does it run good

--
    And now I believe it’s good, I assume it has a relay for the fuel pump also? I tapped what I thought was a relay and the fuel pump itself with a ratchet a couple times and it started working again.

Just took it out for another ride and it didn’t cut out at all so at least I know what happens when the pump starts acting up.

The front end is definitely a very neat setup, I like how it arcs when going through dips or bumps rather than just shocks trying to absorb it all.

For sure needs another new rear tire as the one goes flat quicker than previously thought but man I’m excited to have a rare, running and riding, almost completely all original 3 wheeler (even if the old girl smokes a little).

I don’t think I’ve had this much fun just riding around in a while. My kids get a kick out of it and are willing to jump on the back and ride around.

I’ll have to upload the video I took of the very first time I tried firing it up after slapping the new battery in it and one of me taking a little ride (it was when the pump was acting up so ignore the cutting out parts lol)

It is for sure a heavy SOB but I think I’m in love.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //