//ArrowChat Code
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Kawasaki KLT 250 prairie

--
    Another small update. For some reason the headlight and tail light weren’t working. Tried tracing wires to see if there was a plug or fuse somewhere.

Ended up finding the headlight was actually unplugged. The one side of the plug is actually broke but the contacts were still good so I managed to get that plugged in and when I started it up they still weren’t working for a minute then I jumped on to take off and both headlight and twilight started working.

At least I know those are now good to go. The front end is tweaked a little bit so when you ride it you have to turn the bar to the left a little bit. Not sure what was bent or how it was bent but everything else is good. 1 wheel drive it handles great but once I lock it in 2 wheel it just feels like I’m riding an all time 4 wheel drive lol.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteZer0 View Post
    Here’s the walk around video and cold start

https://youtu.be/NGUm9H7MicA
    That is a very nice looking bike. Thanks for doing the walk around.
    A couple things....
    If you want new stickers for that bike, Bruce Alleman from Blue Line Graphics could likely make those side and rear stickers. He does very good work. Second, make sure you either use non ethanol gas or If you use gas with ethanol, drain your carb if it will be Sitting for extended periods of time.

That frackin’ thing is a time capsule. Take care of it.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    It may be the two different tires on the back that's causing you to have to ride with the bars turned a little bit to the left. Check their height and/or circumfrance.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by yaegerb View Post
    That is a very nice looking bike. Thanks for doing the walk around.
    A couple things....
    If you want new stickers for that bike, Bruce Alleman from Blue Line Graphics could likely make those side and rear stickers. He does very good work. Second, make sure you either use non ethanol gas or If you use gas with ethanol, drain your carb if it will be Sitting for extended periods of time.

That frackin’ thing is a time capsule. Take care of it.
    That’s exactly what the guy told me, he said try not to run ethanol gas. I said yeah I don’t think it needs any Cam2 race fuel lol.

Right now it’s got almost a full tank of 93 octane that I had from when gas was super cheap here so it’ll be good for a bit. So far I’ve been getting it out every day taking it for a ride. My son constantly asks me if we can get the 3 wheeler out.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    It may be the two different tires on the back that's causing you to have to ride with the bars turned a little bit to the left. Check their height and/or circumfrance.
    The left rear is worn down quite a bit and the right is basically brand new. That’s kind of what I was thinking was maybe that new tire is causing me to almost ride sideways. I’m gonna look around locally and see if I can’t source a tire identical to the one that’s on it now and if cheap enough grab one for the front as well.

--
    If all else fails, you could let a little bit of air out of the new tire and that should get it going straight. I'm glad to see that you and your son are enjoying the trike. It makes me want to dig mine out and get it running.

--
    As far as engine oil goes. I was looking through the manual and it says SAE 10w40 so am I right to assume any type of engine oil will do?

Obviously just conventional no synthetic blends

--
    Use oil that's compatible with a wet clutch. Personally, I go with a manufacturer brand or something like Valvoline ATV/UTV oil.

--
    Just had a big rain storm and decided to take it out and test it on my muddy trails. Still handles great but way better when it’s muddy, I don’t notice the pull it has like when it’s dry out.

Still going to take a bit to get used to making slight downhill corners, just been going slow with it but I can get it to slide a little bit, for sure not as much as one with a shock and smaller tires but still pretty fun.

The ole back is gonna have to get used to just tire give, ive woken up every day this week with a stiff back lol.

--
    Yep. Soft, two ply tires, low air pressure, and slow speed are all your friends with a hard tail.

--
    Any recommendations with a front tire? I feel like it just likes to plow the front when trying to turn while giving it throttle.

I don’t know if a matching knobby is going to help or just a completely different style tire. Obviously it has a smaller front tire so it’s gonna get pushed around - little bit but I want to try and minimize it as much as I can.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteZer0 View Post
    Any recommendations with a front tire? I feel like it just likes to plow the front when trying to turn while giving it throttle.

I don’t know if a matching knobby is going to help or just a completely different style tire. Obviously it has a smaller front tire so it’s gonna get pushed around - little bit but I want to try and minimize it as much as I can.
    Quote Originally Posted by rpeters View Post
    That model does not like to slide,
    My friend that did the testing on those said that no tire you put on it will greatly reduce the front end push, although a different tire may reduce it a tiny bit, unless your existing tire is original and is as hard as a rock from drying out over the years, in which case a different tire will help more.

--
    My friend that did the testing on those said that no tire you put on it will greatly reduce the front end push, although a different tire may reduce it a tiny bit, unless your existing tire is original and is as hard as a rock from drying out over the years, in which case a different tire will help more.
    I was wondering when your friend was going to notice this thread and this sweet survivor Kawi and chime in.

To the OP, I'm glad to see you riding it and fixing it. Definitely rare machine in a condition like that one here in the Midwest and I hope you get alot of enjoyment out of it.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    I figured being a hard tail its gonna be tough to overcome any kind of front end plowing. Im not sure if the original tires were dunlop or not but thats whats on the front and 1 on the back. If your friend would like to see any more pictures of it I'd be happy to take them if he wants to see anything in particular.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    I was wondering when your friend was going to notice this thread and this sweet survivor Kawi and chime in.

To the OP, I'm glad to see you riding it and fixing it. Definitely rare machine in a condition like that one here in the Midwest and I hope you get alot of enjoyment out of it.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
    It's hard to not want to get it out everyday and just ride around. My son asks me consistently every day when i get home or wake up in the morning if we can get it out and ride around lol.

I might take apart the front end this weekend and take a look at the front brakes. I can tell its trying to do something but its not enough to slow it down or stop it unfortunately. Could be maybe the pad separated from the shoe and its just sliding around inside.

I also got to looking at the manual that was provided here about greasing the rear but i dont see any grease fittings to grease, only thing i see when i slide open the inspection cover is what looks like a bolt with a nut on the other side going all the way through the carrier/axle. Also didnt see one on the front for so im assuming sealed bearings or just re-pack when needed?

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //