//ArrowChat Code
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Kawasaki KLT 250 prairie

--
    Oh i also forgot to mention, previous owner said he did have the speedometer somewhere and that if he found it he would bring it to me. Said hes not sure he had the cable though. He believes the speedometer said around 400 miles.

--
    I think that these probably have sealed bearings. The others that I've worked on all did. For a front tire, you may try a Kenda Front Max. If there isn't a lot of clearance between the tie and the front suspension, you may try going with a 10" wide tire instead of an 11". When the rear brakes on my 1983 ATC185S were bad, they would hang up and start dragging. One of the linings had come loose from the backings and one had slipped between the other one (still attached) and the brake drum. This is just my experience and i'm not saying that your would act the same way. I prefer to have working brakes both front and rear.

--
    I think the front is a 22x10, it is narrower than the rear 25x12 I know ther much. I’ll have to double check the sizes but it needs another new rear as the older one isn’t staying aired up for much more than 10-15 minutes of riding now and the front is just worn down too much for my liking.

I will look into the Kendra tire, I may end up just getting a pair of knobbies from a store near me and out then in so as my least it’ll have 2 matching ones for the rear. I can’t seem to find a matching Carlisle.

All the Carlisle I’ve looked at do not look like the one I have currently, they all seem to have little cups cut into the knob whereas mine is just solid.

--
    I think you and the machine deserve to get 3 new tires and be done with the guess work on front end plowing and handlebar pull. Your riding experiences will greatly improve and you'll only increase the cool factor of that survivor. As mentioned, dig into those front brakes and bearings and discover exactly what you're dealing with. They are a pretty simple setup. X2 on Bruce for the repro graphics too, they do awesome work! If you could get that speedo you mentioned........!
    Trikes
    1970/71 US 90 (Aquarius Blue)
    1970/71 US 90 (Future Project)
    1972/73 US 90 Camo Project (110 Big Bore)
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1977 ATC 90 w/83 110 motor (Fugly)
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

1965 Marketeer 3 Wheel Golf Cart with 1986 Honda 250 drivetrain

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-coopool
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-coolpool

--
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteZer0 View Post

All the Carlisle I’ve looked at do not look like the one I have currently, they all seem to have little cups cut into the knob whereas mine is just solid.
    That's called 'dimpled.' It's increases traction. The CST C829 tire is a dimpled knobbie.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    I was wondering when your friend was going to notice this thread and this sweet survivor Kawi and chime in.
    He has been really busy with work and racing his dirt bikes on the weekends, plus he has some type of involvement with Elsinore Raceway that just reopened, so he doesn't have any spare time right now. He is going to help me some with my 3 wheeler next week if he gets some time because there are some things I'm not able to do. Right now he spends any time he can squeeze in on an 86 Kawasaki 250 Works bike he recently bought. He seems to have an obsession to make it super lite and told me that he already lightened it by around 6 lbs, and he had a rear axle made for it out of some super high tech ballistics grade aluminum he scored, but he still wants to try and get 3 or 4 more pounds off it. He said that his friend that ran the racing department at Kawasaki might have some magnesium hubs for it too. I told him about this Prarie because I knew he worked at Kawi, so he looked at the post and said it was really nice but that he hated them because of the type of testing they made him do on it. He said one of the tests he had to do was ride it up and down some freezing cold stream in the mountains in the middle of winter for a week straight to try and drown it but that it wouldn't die, and his boots had disintegrated by the end of the week and he had to get new ones, lol.

--
    Oh i also forgot to mention, previous owner said he did have the speedometer somewhere and that if he found it he would bring it to me. Said hes not sure he had the cable though. He believes the speedometer said around 400 miles.
    My friend says that speedo is worth a lot of money, so you should hound the guy until he finds it.

--
    I think the front is a 22x10, it is narrower than the rear 25x12 I know ther much. I’ll have to double check the sizes but it needs another new rear as the older one isn’t staying aired up for much more than 10-15 minutes of riding now and the front is just worn down too much for my liking.

I will look into the Kendra tire, I may end up just getting a pair of knobbies from a store near me and out then in so as my least it’ll have 2 matching ones for the rear. I can’t seem to find a matching Carlisle.

For normal riding you should get 4 ply tires. I think bike bandit or one of the other big stores has good deals and cheap shipping.

--

Kawasaki KLT 250 prairie

Didn’t get. A chance to check the front brakes, I went ahead and orders new shoes for the front. Should be here Friday the. I will tear into it,

Going to try and get a new rear tire this week sometime. Anyone know if the KLT shared the same oil filter with any newer kawasaki/Suzuki 250 or bigger?

I did find a spare z400 filter I had laying in the garage I forgot I had but I don’t want to take off the cover if the filter isn’t interchangeable.
    Last edited by AbsoluteZer0; 07-15-2020 at 01:19 PM.

--
    Also I may have just picked up another Kawasaki.

Was talking with a guy at work about the 3 wheeler and he said my son has one he’s been trying to give me so he texted him and told him I can have it.

Said he believes it’s a Kawasaki 185. So I might be picking up KLT 185 3 wheeler to mess around with.

All I know is it’s been sitting for quite a while, I said as long as everything is there and it’s not missing any vital parts I would forge sure be interested in it.

Looks like this I’ve attracted Kawasaki 3 wheelers. Now if only I could attract a tecate for dirt cheap

--
    Whatever brand and model you like, sticking to that and accumulating spare parts is the way to keep costs down in the long run. Even really rough ones are usually good for a few parts. What I do is clean the parts to ready-to-use condition, then pack them away.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    Whatever brand and model you like, sticking to that and accumulating spare parts is the way to keep costs down in the long run. Even really rough ones are usually good for a few parts. What I do is clean the parts to ready-to-use condition, then pack them away.
    I tend to do this too. All except for the clean it to ready to use part. I kind of slack on this.

--
    well i did not end up getting front shoes as the shop informed me when i stopped in yesterday that the front shoes were on backorder on the invoice they looked at yesterday.

I did not get a tire yet either as we are getting ready for a fair and the kids decided to leave the hose run all night which in turn drained my cistern so i had to spend all morning hauling water. I will get a tire exventually, i may just end up ordering one from bikebandit so i know it'll get here without interuption lol.

I noticed tires for the front have been marked backordered as well for a 22x11x9 front tire.

--
    I just changed the oil, according to the manual it says 1.5 quarts. That’s what I put in, the sight glass shows about half way in between the marks.

I assume this is the correct amount to have it is between the low mark and top mark. Not all the way up to the top mark correct?

--
    I grabbed some castrol 10w40 motorcycle at the local shop. Basically the same oil I use in my rzr but in weight recommended.

I looked at several brands they had but none said anything about wet clutch that I could find but assumed most were meant for wet clutch or not.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //