//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 11 years.....ytm!!!

HEAD09 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

11 years.....ytm!!!

hey guys,
    well thanx to covid...i finally got it together, almost?! see before i moved up here, I already power coated and painted just about everything, rebuilt the motor
    and change out every bearing....put it all in boxes and threw in the barn. so what happen? life, busy or whatever something more important, besides i had the triz.
    Have to get some decals from Brian, front brakes to put together and some other stuff.

the bad: well i screwed up... put the wrong shift cam in no reverse or neutral light-DX. The engine had no 4th gear when i got it and my motorcycle mechanic friend
    said he would rebuild for me...so he did the bottom end and put a wiesco piston in it and did the valves. shes got 165 psi on the compression test.
    shes runs awesome....but my questions are when it running i pulled the oil fill plug to see the blow by and she coming out a lot i only have a 1 hr on this DR?
    second: when i shut the motor down i hear starter clutch still spinning, and when i down shift from 3 to 2 it doesnt slow it down, acts like im pulling in the clutch,
    and 2nd to 1 also.Any info would be great!thxClick image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail (1).jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	263478Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail (2).jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	263479Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	263480

--
    Where to begin... let’s start with DON’T take the dip stick out of a running engine or oil will come splashing out. If you think you have blow bye you can remove the rubber hose from the crankcase that goes to the intake hose to check, but unless your burning a ton of oil I wouldn’t bother.

Are you holding the shift lever down when you down shift? That, a sticking shift lever, or a bent push rod are the only things that would cause the engine to freewheel when downshifting. The other could be an improperly adjusted secondary clutch, but if that was the case you would’ve never gotten up to speed in the first place.

--
    What forks are those?

Sounds like the one way bearing/clutch is having issues. Sometimes blipping the throttle when it doesn't grab, will make it do so. That pretty much tells you it's bad.

Lord have mercy... that Cobra muffler. I think they found a way to make something louder than a straight pipe.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

HEAD09 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    well thx for the info...shift fine nothing seems wrong with it. it gets up to speed great...i notice today that it grabs when you did get some throttle...yeah it"s a cobra. lol!i tried to
    find one for a month. wanted a stock one! They are tri z forks. and i put a 2003 polaris pred. rear shock on it. so i guess i need to get one of those...bearing clutch is that the starter
    clutch i was talking about? thx

--
    Not the starter clutch, the one way bearing (clutch) in the centrifugal clutch housing.

Try shutting if off in gear and it probably won't make that sound, as if something is winding down. In neutral, it may be letting the clutch basket spin for a bit because that one way bearings isn't stopping it against the engine, it's just letting everything freewheel. When in gear, the transmission and clutch basket is held stationary by the output.

Just something to try, and isolate where it's coming from a little better before taking anything apart. There's enough friction in everything that even though the centrifugal clutch isn't engaged at idle, it may still be spinning the transmission input if it's in neutral and the clutch basket has enough mass that'll it'll spin for a bit if not stopped by the one way bearing.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    well thx! for the info....appreciate the help.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //