//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Thread chaser or thread die.

--

Thread chaser or thread die.

Any opinions on using a thread chaser opposed to a die on axel threads? 14mm 1.50 pitch
    90 nickolson Bored and Stroked "The Good"

Big Bore 110 Pauter frame "The Bad"

90 Bored and Stroked “vey’s frame” "The Ugly"

110 JSC frame Bored and Stroked
    flat track build. “Shop trike”

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

Fullsizechevy9 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by DAM shop View Post
    Any opinions on using a thread chaser opposed to a die on axel threads? 14mm 1.50 pitch
    The split dies work very good they flex and open up more for if your starter thread is boogered up also a 3 corner file will do the majority of your thread work a set of different sizes and you can fix just about any thread that is worth fixing with a little filing beats having to buy a different size die everytime you run into odd sizes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

--
    Thread file...they make metric ones..... I've been in machining and machinery repair for a long time and a thread file is indispensable.

I just had to clean up mashed threads on an 84 200ES rear axle. One side the hub nut threads were dinged and also those fine axle nut threads had a smashed spot. Three minutes with my combo metric thread file and I was screwing hardware back on the axle.

There are four thread pitches on each file (file has four sides)

Trust me, it's THE quickest and most useful tool for cleaning up OD threads and I use them at least one a week. If you can use a file without butchering everything, this file is for you

--
    May bad.....you get EIGHT different thread pitches on a thread file....four on each end of the four-sided file as well

--
    Another vote for a thread file. I've got tap and die sets and thread restorer sets (like taps but not as aggressive and not for cutting threads).

The thread file gets used more than anything. More of fixing a bad spot or two on the threads than having to deal with a strip tease.

The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Thanks guys looks like the thread file it is.

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

Fullsizechevy9 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Thanks guys looks like the thread file it is.
    I personally like my 60degree 3 corner thread file all u need is a few different sizes and you can cover any thread pitch standard or metric you dont have to buy a bunch of different sizes and hope you have what you need when you need it they will fix just about any messed up thread if you know what your doing and if they cant it needs a die to reform/chase the threads

--
    One more vote for a thread file.
    The harbor freight tap and die kits are good for "chasing threads" but suck at making new threads. But for the price they are worth having around.
    YAMAHA 450 HYBRID
    85 350X- RED
    85 350x -BLACK
    86 350x-WHITE (with Goki)
    85 250r
    83 atc 70
    84 atc 70
    84 atc 110
    09 yfz 450
    2006 Arctic Cat Prowler
    RZR XP 900

--
    Very interesting. Not that I use them everyday but would have thought a DIE would have been the key.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

BarnBoy is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    If you can get it started I'd use a die. But a thread file is super handy esp if the first bit it too boogered to start the die.
    1984 HONDA ATC200M - OG, mid-restoration
    1981 HONDA ATC200 - future build
    1981 HONDA ATC185S - parts
    1984 ATC200X - roller, future build
    1984 Honda ATC250r - in a million pieces- ISO grab bar, PM if you have one

Da velder

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Canadian View Post
    Very interesting. Not that I use them everyday but would have thought a DIE would have been the key.
    Depends on the situation if the start of the threads are bad you may need a file just to get the die started and a 60deg 3 corner thread file will file any v thread there is its very versatile you dont have to buy a new one for every pitch you run across 1 can handle just about anything long as its just a few bad spots if the threads are really bad it would be easier to chase it with a die but if its just a few bad spots a thread file is the way to go i use them all the time at work im a machinist so im always fixing stuff that the young hands mess up getting valves and pumps apart not paying attention or just plain dont care in their eyes thats what the machinist is for when most od the time you can get the job done without messing certain things up

--
    Just tried the thread file I got from Graingers, I really haven’t had the time to really spend on it but I do d give it a go. Seems like a does a real nice job without having to worry about filing to deep. The part I’m having the most issue with is the start of the threads. I think with a bit of patience I’ll be able to get it.

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    Just tried the thread file I got from Graingers, I really haven’t had the time to really spend on it but I do d give it a go. Seems like a does a real nice job without having to worry about filing to deep. The part I’m having the most issue with is the start of the threads. I think with a bit of patience I’ll be able to get it.
    Start ahead of the starter thread on some good threads and file backwards towards the starter threads

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //