//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Valve spring compressor?

--

Valve spring compressor?

Okay guys, project 200x, as you may have figured out by now, is my first time digging this deep into an ATV engine. Needing to remove valves to inspect. I'm not keen on spending 50 or more bucks on a tool that I may only use a few times. I attached an image of a cheap compressor. Wondering if anyone has used anything similar and how it worked?

Fair warning- I'll probably be blowing this forum up with questions and advice the next few weeks!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Fullsizechevy9 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by agedatc View Post
    Okay guys, project 200x, as you may have figured out by now, is my first time digging this deep into an ATV engine. Needing to remove valves to inspect. I'm not keen on spending 50 or more bucks on a tool that I may only use a few times. I attached an image of a cheap compressor. Wondering if anyone has used anything similar and how it worked?

Fair warning- I'll probably be blowing this forum up with questions and advice the next few weeks!

C clamp and a socket with a spot cut out on each side to get the retainers in and out is how i doit

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

--
    Thats the one ive got. It works fine.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E78ED9CF-8465-4DAD-B768-B97CF2A0B55B.jpeg 
Views:	5 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	263509 It doesnt see much use but does get the job done.

shep

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullsizechevy9 View Post
    C clamp and a socket with a spot cut out on each side to get the retainers in and out is how i doit

Thanks. I was thinking about a mcgyver option.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Shep1970 View Post
    Thats the one ive got. It works fine.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E78ED9CF-8465-4DAD-B768-B97CF2A0B55B.jpeg 
Views:	5 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	263509 It doesnt see much use but does get the job done.

shep
    Thanks shep.

Fullsizechevy9 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Thanks. I was thinking about a mcgyver option.

Works like a charm grind a releif on each side of a socket to get the retainers in and out put one end of the c clamp on the bottom of the valve and the socket on the spring side and tighten up until the spring is compressed enough to get the retainers out then back off and your done just reverse it to go back together i had all that laying around and it does the same job just as good as a valve spring compressor unless you do them all the time then yea its worth buying one but c clamp has always worked fine for me

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullsizechevy9 View Post
    Works like a charm grind a releif on each side of a socket to get the retainers in and out put one end of the c clamp on the bottom of the valve and the socket on the spring side and tighten up until the spring is compressed enough to get the retainers out then back off and your done just reverse it to go back together i had all that laying around and it does the same job just as good as a valve spring compressor unless you do them all the time then yea its worth buying one but c clamp has always worked fine for me

Will a 4 in. Clamp be wide enough?

--
    Will a 4 in. Clamp be wide enough?

I dont think so you need enough space for the head and a socket that is long enough to compress the spring enough until the retainers are free i used a deep well 5/8 socket and i beleive around a 8in c clamp might have been 10in i would take a measurement to be on safe side but you can get c clamps cheap at harbor freight a 10in will do it for sure

--
    I use the same kit, it works perfect. I had homemade kits in the past but they only did a few models.

I think the kit is about 30$, how much is your time worth?? Grab that kit, works great...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

BarnBoy is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    I agree with DC, I actually bought the same kit and it works great.. You can tell its not top of the line but works well and beats cutting up sockets and little chunk of pipe to Jimmy rig something all to pieces. Buy it.
    1984 HONDA ATC200M - OG, mid-restoration
    1981 HONDA ATC200 - future build
    1981 HONDA ATC185S - parts
    1984 ATC200X - roller, future build
    1984 Honda ATC250r - in a million pieces- ISO grab bar, PM if you have one

Da velder

--
    This is a cheap & easy solution. Scrap of copper pipe about 1.25" long. Works with any QuikGrip, F clamp, C clamp, etc. Works perfectly and costs about 10 cents.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200717-012018_kindlephoto-25712918.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	263646

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200717-012012_kindlephoto-25661259.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	263647

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //