//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 85 atc 250r rear shock

--

85 atc 250r rear shock

my dad has gifted me his 85 atc250r and im a little bigger then i was when i rode it when i was younger but was wondering what the rear shock weight capacity is or if there is a bigger rear shock i could put in it since im about 285 with full gear

--
    Yep, you're too big for that shock.

The good news, is that there are "heavier" springs and revalving still available for that particular shock

Off the top of my head, I would say call or visit Schmidty Racing Suspension, RaceTech, PEP, etc. They all should have everything you need. A new spring and a shock nitrogen recharge/rebuild/revalve (for your weight and riding style) would be your best overall performance avenue.

--
    Race tech will ignore you big time. They do not want anything to do with ATV ATC rear shocks. Kevin over at jogaca suspenion works is by far one of the most honest builders i know. Hes done the following shocks for me. KFX700 rear shock, KFX450R front shocks, YFZ450 front shocks, Raptor 660r rear shock. Warrior 350 rear shock, Works performance banshee front shocks.

My last price with buying shocks off him and building revalving and shipping for a ATV was $705! Normaly a rear shock rebuild re spring and revalve for me runs under $175 shipped. Give him a call, dont email, dont facebook him dont text just call... heres my last set.

"Servicing, repairing,rebuilding ATV, MX, SxS shocks. Specializing in rebuilding OEM adjustable shocks to work, look and perform better." 480-262-3216

--
    ironchop would i be able to do that all myself sorry never messed with read shock other then adjusting them

--
    oldskool83 is 703 bucks cheap never priced having someone else rebuilding a shock

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    Yep, you're too big for that shock.

The good news, is that there are "heavier" springs and revalving still available for that particular shock

Off the top of my head, I would say call or visit Schmidty Racing Suspension, RaceTech, PEP, etc. They all should have everything you need. A new spring and a shock nitrogen recharge/rebuild/revalve (for your weight and riding style) would be your best overall performance avenue.
    would i be able to do that all myself sorry never messed with read shock other then adjusting them

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    Race tech will ignore you big time. They do not want anything to do with ATV ATC rear shocks. Kevin over at jogaca suspenion works is by far one of the most honest builders i know. Hes done the following shocks for me. KFX700 rear shock, KFX450R front shocks, YFZ450 front shocks, Raptor 660r rear shock. Warrior 350 rear shock, Works performance banshee front shocks.

My last price with buying shocks off him and building revalving and shipping for a ATV was $705! Normaly a rear shock rebuild re spring and revalve for me runs under $175 shipped. Give him a call, dont email, dont facebook him dont text just call... heres my last set.

"Servicing, repairing,rebuilding ATV, MX, SxS shocks. Specializing in rebuilding OEM adjustable shocks to work, look and perform better." 480-262-3216
    is 703 bucks cheap never priced having someone else rebuilding a shock

--
    new works shocks would of run me $1300, new elka $1100...so yes $705 was crazy cheap. But i didnt just get them rebuild, I bought shocks off him also. I didnt have a good shock to even send him. normaly when he has rebuild just rears for me it runs between $150-175 for all that plus being build to my weight. You don't even want to do a rebuild one a shock, anyone 1st time costs to learn or essed up parts...etc....let the guys who have it down to a sceince do it. I don't even waste my time for the few bucks it costs.

When i want a shock built i send it to Kevin @ jogaca suspension werks in AZ

When i want that built shock rebuild with just new seals later I give to a local guy in my state called Brad @ KB5 industries. I like how Kevin can pretty them up very nice, most will just rebuild with new seals.
    Last edited by oldskool83; 07-08-2020 at 11:06 AM.

--
    For F*CK sakes old-school, stop lying to the guy

Race Tech still supports ATV shocks and I've never had trouble getting phone help or ordering stuff through them for my ATVs. I went with Schmidty Racing last January but prior to that, no issues

$700 to rebuild a shock is outrageous just for a shock rebuild. A revalve costs more, of course, but a basic rebuild would be ridiculous at that price unless they rechrome your pitted shock shaft, polished the shock body, and powder coated all the fasteners

Finally, Aaron I bet you never even had an R shock apart or you wouldn't have made it seem like rocket science to rebuild one. Since I HAVE had one apart, I'll gladly educate you..... Here what's in an R shock

1) a nut, 15mm if I recall
    2) some seals
    3) a shaft bushing
    4) a valve body (round, aluminum, had holes in it)
    5) circlip
    6) oil

This is LITERALLY Mechanical Aptitude 101 here.... If you can't change some seals without messing them up, you indeed need to send off everything you own and sell your tools to the neighbor kids.... If you can't afford to mess up $45 in parts, oil, and nitro gas if you fail, sell your ATVs, Oldsmobile, because the hobby is too expensive for you

thatoneguy...... Here's the parts that you might mess up inside the shock body if you try to do your own shock rebuild and get it wrong. The procedure is in my 250R restomod thread. You'll be out $35 worth of parts, $5 in oil, $5 nitrogen recharge at worst case, to save yourself $700. You can decide which route is best for you....I just can't understand telling a guy to shell out $700 when you might waste $35 if you try it yourself. Your results may vary, of course
    Last edited by ironchop; 07-08-2020 at 05:05 PM.

--
    Oh so ya wanna talk politics ..........oldstool ?.........pay your plumber before he beats your azz

--
    Not lying to the guy. I personally called race tech, emailed etc. They did not want to service a rear shock I wanted built or help with getting me a new shaft. I just got passed off to someone who could help...after 3 phone calls and 3 emails with no replys or call backs it was clear that the dead ATV link on their said ment they do not want to deal with it.

I did not pay $700 for 1 rear shock to be built. You guy need to please read above what I wrote.. I specificity said Kevin built 3 shocks for me all in which I bought off him also. Normally i send him shocks I have, in this case I had a very bad rear shock with a wasted shaft. I did not have front shocks for the ATV i was building so i asked to buy them all off him in a package deal. He has shocks in stock at all times.

That price included everything, buying them, re-value, re-spring and all coatings / new bushings plus shipping back to me in 3 days. I specifically said twice above Kevin normally charges about $150-175 for rear shock re-valve /re-spring / any powder coating and all new bushings. That's really not a bad deal. The guy above needs the shock built for his weight so a simple shock rebuild is not going to cut it. He needs different valving...that would be anything from racing or riding in a corn field that's flat. He will rebuild a different spring weight...he might way dual rate or triple rate, he may need just a single rate spring. Either way its more then a $35 kit for him.

Now go to race techs site, click on ATV tab...it takes no-ware, wait a little it will do nothing. Has done nothing for months. That is no lie. I spoke with two other suspension builders and both said they do not use race tech anymore for ATV related shock builds as they just so not really want to support the atv stuff...it's dirtbike or side by sides it seems...add the covid-19 on top of this...nothing gets done quickly with them if you can get a hold of them.

Schmitty is good...no issues there. You will pay for his services...a good bit more then KB5 and Jogaca suspension werks.

Links attached. The guy can decide how he wants to go. In my case I've never paid for shocks until they were on my door step ad Kevin want calling me to make sure everything was ok. Brad KB5 knows me for years also. His services are also top notch as he supports a national race team all from his own garage.

There are many places that can rebuild his shock...local honda dealer. There are only a few places who can dial it in for him and will want to.

http://www.kb5ind.com/index.asp
    https://www.facebook.com/Jogaca-Susp...3322231579405/

The poster can pick who he wants to use or if this is even in his budget...maybe he will saw screw it and just but a nice new ekla shock set up for him.

But again $705 got me TWO front shocks and ONE rear shock. They were works performance shocks he did for me, rear shock was OEM.

--
    Edit........ Not worth the effort

Original poster......I rebuilt my own and it cost me less than a third of all quotes I got plus shipping both ways.

I'm assuming that since you asked if you could rebuild it yourself, you probably know your way around a toolbox. Instead of assuming you're unskilled and telling you that it's too complicated for you to perform on your own without even knowing if you're handy with mechanical things or not, I'll tell you that in my opinion, it's pretty simple and straightforward
    Last edited by ironchop; 07-08-2020 at 07:01 PM.

--
    I'm speaking with Sydney Ruge, service manager at Race Tech right now. She answered my message I sent thru the website in under twenty minutes requesting more info about the TRX/ATC shock I'm wanting rebuilt.

She wants to know if it's stock.....I guess that's better than telling me they only do dirtbike and SxS shocks

I'll give you an answer in a minute, OP

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Where's my answers and call backs for warrior shock service and rechome...I was ignored but it's fine since I had bought works shocks build for my machine rider weight etc. That the original guy wont be able to do like a shock building company. A $35 rebuild of seals is fine, but if he does not a leaking shock he needs revalving, figuring out spring rates etc not everyone is versed in that. A stock shock on different lenght arms is gonna feel different.

He has the tools to decide how he wants to go. Me I have two companys to run. Im sending shocks out to people who have always done me good.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    Wheres my answers and call backs for warrior shock service and rechome...I was ignored but its fine since I had shocks build for my machine rider weight etc. That the original guy wont be able to do like a shock building company. A $35 rebuild of seals is fine 8s he dies not a leaking shock but revalving, figuring out spring rates etc not everyone is versed in that.
    Maybe they don't do warrior shocks anymore

How can someone die from a failed rebuilt shock? That's extreme, dude. Maybe I misunderstood what you misspelled.

In the case of the shock I helped my buddy rebuild on his TRX last year, they told him what shims and what order they go in, going off the answers he gave them about his weight, machine, riding area, riding style, etc. We put the RT stuff in and the seal kit from Schmidty and he was off riding again. All of it over the phone.

RaceTech also has instructional videos on YouTube about how to rebuild an offroad coilover shock and how to install Race Tech valves/emulators.

I didn't revalve my R shock. I just rebuilt and replaced everything that's still available for purchase on the entire shock, so it was even less work than his identical TRX shock was to do, but I'd be comfortable installing RT stuff in the future.

(There are alot of great builders and suspension companies out there. I only speak of Schmidty and Race Tech because that's the only two I have actual done business with. I'm not recommending anyone over anyone else (learned my lesson) I'm just stating my personal hands-on-the-shock experiences.)

Aaron I agree that a revalve needs to be figured out by a pro, but I contend that alot of mechanically inclined people, you included, can get some phone consultation and then install the proper valving yourself using their products if you wanted to do it yourself. I'm sure some suspension builders have proprietary valve designs that they don't offer for sale seperately to the public like RT does. We just used their products because they were available so we could do it ourselves since I had one apart before and the savings was pretty substantial

Ok Sydney emailed me back. They still do ATC/TRX250R rear shocks that are stock, but she said that front TRX250R shocks "are not rebuildable" ..... The 86 TRX rear shock and the 85/86 ATC shock are the same except the reservoir and hose, so that will help the OP find parts

Original poster, I guess we should ask how well you handle a wrench, so to speak. You think you're up to it or send it off? I'll shut up now and support either.

Still trying to find my thread. I got pics of all this

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //