//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Please help! 1985 Honda Big REd 250ES front axle stuck

MotorCity is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

Please help! 1985 Honda Big REd 250ES front axle stuck

Hey all,

I took the front wheel off my Honda big red. I'm thinking its the first time its been off in 35 years. I'm selling .
    my rare hondaline ATC speedo to a member, and am trying to remove the axle and speedo gear assy from my front axle. This damn thing will not budge . I've hit it with some PB blaster and gave some good wacks with a heavy . I'm afraid of damaging the threads wacking it with the .

should I maybe remove the brake hub from the rim and attempt to get the axle out this way (not having to deal with a tire in the way?

I've done a little search on here, seems heat and PB blaster/Kroil is the way to go? What should I concentrate the heat on? I've heard the axle through brake hub is normally a tight fit...being together for 35 years isnt helping...

any and all input appreciated.

couple pics are attached.

thank you in advance. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0094.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	2.85 MB 
ID:	263554Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0095.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	263555

--
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorCity View Post
    Hey all,

I took the front wheel off my Honda big red. I'm thinking its the first time its been off in 35 years. I'm selling .
    my rare hondaline ATC speedo to a member, and am trying to remove the axle and speedo gear assy from my front axle. This damn thing will not budge . I've hit it with some PB blaster and gave some good wacks with a heavy . I'm afraid of damaging the threads wacking it with the .

should I maybe remove the brake hub from the rim and attempt to get the axle out this way (not having to deal with a tire in the way?

I've done a little search on here, seems heat and PB blaster/Kroil is the way to go? What should I concentrate the heat on? I've heard the axle through brake hub is normally a tight fit...being together for 35 years isnt helping...

any and all input appreciated.

couple pics are attached.

thank you in advance. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0094.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	2.85 MB 
ID:	263554Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0095.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	263555
    That might not come off without breaking the unit or axle or fork... I did a 250sx breaker bar heat cold spraying everything in the world...... Would not budge broke the fork tube... Maybe dry ice but I warned you it's old and guessing never broke loss in your ownership...Once again you might just be playing with fire and your top dollar speedo money.. Just my experience good luck...Your welcome

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

--
    as you can see, the wheel is allready off the fork tubes. there is no danger in breaking the fork tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadSaA View Post
    That might not come off without breaking the unit or axle or fork... I did a 250sx breaker bar heat cold spraying everything in the world...... Would not budge broke the fork tube... Maybe dry ice but I warned you it's old and guessing never broke loss in your ownership...Once again you might just be playing with fire and your top dollar speedo money.. Just my experience good luck...Your welcome

--
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorCity View Post
    as you can see, the wheel is allready off the fork tubes. there is no danger in breaking the fork tubes.
    Be careful it's been on there awhile good luck..Paitence I had a bad experience with one front end just saying take it for what it's worth.

--
    You're going to have to be really patient. A lot of ATC owners have been down the same road with front axles.

First, it's apparently stuck in the brake plate. Kroil (Aerokroil) is your slow, but trustworthy friend. Spray and let soak at least overnight, then maybe spray some more and let soak another day or two.

Heat, cool, repeat. Heat cycling will do more than just heating and beating. Don't beat on the aluminum brake plate!

You may be in for double whammy if the axle is stuck in the bearing spacer. What'll happen if that's the case, is once the brake plate loosens, driving the axle out with remove the bearing with it because the spacer is stuck on the axle. It's not the end of the world and you can cross that bridge later.

You need a brass or at least a brass drift. That's to protect the axle splines. Ideally, a pneumatic with a pointy type bit to center in the divet on the axle, would work best. You can't swing a hard enough to match the cyclic power of a pneumatic. If you have access to a press, that would be your best choice.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Thanks ATC King. Appreciate the feedback.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //