//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Smoking Honda 200 es

--

Smoking Honda 200 es

I now what it’s going to be but I thought I ask anyway. I’ve got a Honda 200 es unknown hour, and very rough condition when I got it have been slowly rebuilding it as money would allow, have it running now smokes on start up and continues to smoke even after it warms up, compression test when cold shows 130 psi. What’s the diagnosis.

--
    Valve guide seals, 130psi tells me its not rings. While the head is off clean it and lap the valves.
    Pull the head, replace the seals, reinstall.

MrC.
    mrc_builds on YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmw...confirmation=1

My Addiction
    85 200m "Tallahassee"
    84 200x "SouthPort"
    84 200x "Van Halen"
    84 250r "lucky"
    85 250sx "Enterprise"
    85 350x "The Money Pit"
    85 350x Code Red
    86 250r "Unicorn"
    86 trx250r
    88 Lt250r Suzuki

mrc_builds saves trikes like Jimmy Swaggart saved souls back in the day -said Patriot1

BarnBoy is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    If you're gonna pull the head why not just do a top end? 50 bucks for a bore/hone and 60 bucks for a shindy piston/rings. Then its like new.
    1984 HONDA ATC200M - OG, mid-restoration
    1981 HONDA ATC200 - future build
    1981 HONDA ATC185S - parts
    1984 ATC200X - roller, future build
    1984 Honda ATC250r - in a million pieces- ISO grab bar, PM if you have one

Da velder

--
    Do you have a local old school shop that's boring a single cylinder for $50?

Seems like most new places won't touch them for that price when they can make more money by machining multiple items with a single setup.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    No shops in my area will even touch a 3 wheeler.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by nutcase67 View Post
    How do they know it's a 3 wheeler?

And why do they care?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by nutcase67 View Post
    I have heard this a lot lately, I can't get a straight answer on why. I think its one of two things.
    1. Liability lawsuits, they fear if they fix it and you get hurt, since everyone knows they are "illegal" their liable somehow.
    2. Today's mechanic's are more part changers than diagnostic type mechanics, not bashing anyone one, just It seems now a days shops only want to work on newer stuff they can plug their computer into.

Try to take a carburetored car/truck into a shop for a tune up/repair? watch them scratch their heads, same thing. best bet is find an older lawn mower repair guy, he still knows carbs and single cylinder engines.
    Unfortunately there a dieing breed as well, since mowers are becoming disposable.

Learn to fix it yourself, with this site, a manual and youtube, there's not much you couldn't do.

MrC.
    mrc_builds on YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmw...confirmation=1

My Addiction
    85 200m "Tallahassee"
    84 200x "SouthPort"
    84 200x "Van Halen"
    84 250r "lucky"
    85 250sx "Enterprise"
    85 350x "The Money Pit"
    85 350x Code Red
    86 250r "Unicorn"
    86 trx250r
    88 Lt250r Suzuki

mrc_builds saves trikes like Jimmy Swaggart saved souls back in the day -said Patriot1

--
    Quote Originally Posted by MrConcdid View Post
    I have heard this a lot lately, I can't get a straight answer on why. I think its one of two things.
    1. Liability lawsuits, they fear if they fix it and you get hurt, since everyone knows they are "illegal" their liable somehow.
    2. Today's mechanic's are more part changers than diagnostic type mechanics, not bashing anyone one, just It seems now a days shops only want to work on newer stuff they can plug their computer into.

Try to take a carburetored car/truck into a shop for a tune up/repair? watch them scratch their heads, same thing. best bet is find an older lawn mower repair guy, he still knows carbs and single cylinder engines.
    Unfortunately there a dieing breed as well, since mowers are becoming disposable.

Learn to fix it yourself, with this site, a manual and youtube, there's not much you couldn't do.

MrC.
    It has nothing to do with any of this. 3 wheelers are not illegal or even restricted in any way any longer. Common policy for any motorcycle shop is to not work on ANYTHING that's 10 years old or older unless a specialty shop. The reason is because it's almost always more expensive, then when the owner of said $500 vehicle gets a bill for 800 they never show back up then the bike shop has 42 old piece of shlt bikes out back. the kind of people that get into this old junk do not generally have a lot of money, and reality is that it's not even worth it to a shop to chance it.

--
    Contact Zforce on ebay. He does all this stuff cheap through the mail.

--
    That's $80 for the bore/hone in southern Michigan, but still a good idea. for those having problems finding a place to have it done, smaller classic cycle dealers, and Non-retail honda shops are good spots. I drive over an hour for the guy I use.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //