//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Re ringing the big red 250 es

--

Re ringing the big red 250 es

I bought the bike siezed. Got it unlocked but comp is only 100lbs.

Just wondering if a ring job can be done with engine still in the bike? I think i recall many moons ago i did my 200m bike that way

Fullsizechevy9 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by roonie View Post
    I bought the bike siezed. Got it unlocked but comp is only 100lbs.

Just wondering if a ring job can be done with engine still in the bike? I think i recall many moons ago i did my 200m bike that way
    Alot easier just to take the engine out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

--
    that didnt answer my question as to if it can be re ringed with engine in

Quote Originally Posted by Fullsizechevy9 View Post
    Alot easier just to take the engine out

Fullsizechevy9 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Only 1 way to find out good luck

--
    So much bs trying to do it in the frame but hey your going to be the 1 fighting it not me

--
    I'm not sure that it can be done on either the 250ES or the 200M. Since Honda used studs and nuts to hold down the head and cylinder instead of long bolts like Yamaha did, I'm not sure that either one can be removed in frame. The rocker covers can usually be removed in frame on the 185/200 models, but I'm not sure about the ES/SX.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    I'm not sure that it can be done on either the 250ES or the 200M. Since Honda used studs and nuts to hold down the head and cylinder instead of long bolts like Yamaha did, I'm not sure that either one can be removed in frame. The rocker covers can usually be removed in frame on the 185/200 models, but I'm not sure about the ES/SX.
    Yes thats why i tried telling him it would be easier to take it out pretty easy to take out and alot easier to work on but he didnt want to hear that i think he wants to hear it can be done in frame which it may if you can unscrew the long studs and pull them out then you may be able to get the job done if you cant do that no way you will be able to but all you have to do is un hook a few things take out a few bolts and you got the engine coming out and will save you alot of headache

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    To be honest if you cant look at it yourself and determine if you have enough room in frame to get the job done it may not be a job you want to tackle on your own

--
    I think everyone else already answered it, but just my two cents worth...

Short answer is NO... The way these engines are built you won't be able to slide the jug up off the studs while in frame, not enough room, and if you try to remove the studs your likely to damage the bottom end, because i have seen those studs thoroughly corroded into the aluminum, so your likely to take the threads out of the bottom end when you take out the steel studs.

Second part of this is you said it was seized... I assume you mean it was stuck, as in rust in the cylinder from sitting a long time. If it was truly seized, aka starved for oil and overheated, your going to need more then a ring job, your going to have to rebuild from the ground up to replace bearings. But lets assume you meant it was simply stuck from cylinder rust and sitting, which is pretty common finding one of these wheelers after sitting for 20 years or so...

If that's the case your going to want to pull the engine out of the frame, pull the top end completely off, remove the rocker cover, head and jug, and at a bare minimum give the jug a good hone with a ball hone and then re-ring the piston. If it was stuck from rusting you could have some pitting in the cylinder, but if your lucky it was just surface rust and maybe a partially stuck ring that is now causing the low compression. But you need to inspect the cylinder to see if there is pitting or scoring on the walls, if so your going to need to bore and hone and go oversized on the piston and rings.

But taking a step back.... Did you get it running? Low compression or not, at 100lbs it should at least run, may not run great but i have seen them run with less. Get it running, dump some ATF in the cylinder or marvel mystery oil, let it soak overnight, then with the plug out crank it over blow that crap out of the cylinder then get it running and take it for a good toot around, see if things free up better, and let the rings rub everything down. If its a stuck ring and it comes free and the compression comes back up and there isn't excessive smoking from oil burning, take into account there will be stuff burning off for a while from getting it unstuck, then let it ride a while and keep an eye on the oil. It may come back around on its own. I have had some that were stuck and surface rusted come back to nearly perfect after some riding. Some did eventually need a rebuild because they were smoking bad, but it sounds like you got this thing with a lot of unknowns. So i would get it running and ride it a while, see what else is or isn't working, last thing you want to do is put money into the engine and then find out the rear end is shot or the trans won't shift, or something else. I always get them running and do a full eval on them before tearing into the engine. Then your stuck moving forward, if your determined to bring it back then thats not a big deal, but if your not ready to get pulled into a project then find out where you stand first.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1984 Honda ATC200ES "Big Red"
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"
    1988 TRX300FW "Project Quad" Still in progress....

--
    I guess none of you guys have actually done it lol .
    Yes the topend comes off with very little issues .
    You must have all the head bolts / studs loose and both the valve cover and cylinder comes off easily .
    I have rebuilt a lot of 250sx and es model with out removing the motor .
    The trick is to leave the rear head bolts in loose while removing the head .
    The 200m motor must be removed from the frame to service the top end .
    Last edited by shortline10; 07-20-2020 at 02:18 PM.
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    I've done it multiple times, i just did a 250ES a couple years ago, and i wasn't able to get the jug off in frame. Fought it for about two hours but everything was seized or corroded, gave up and pulled the engine from the frame and done. You said must have the studs loose.... That's the kicker, every time i have worked on one those studs are practically welded into the bottom end, and stuck in the jug so that nothing will slide, so you must have gotten really lucky, i always had to pull it from the frame so i get more access to work on it. I was taking into consideration that the poster doesn't sound to have a lot of experience, taking it out of the frame is definitely a lot easier to work on it, and its pretty darn easy to pull one of these from the frame and be done with it.

I've rebuilt a few 200ES, my personal one i did twice because of a crappy ring set, there is no way possible to do those in frame. You will tear the threads out of the bottom end trying to remove the studs to remove the jug in frame.
    Last edited by kb0nly; 07-20-2020 at 02:50 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1984 Honda ATC200ES "Big Red"
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"
    1988 TRX300FW "Project Quad" Still in progress....

--
    If it was seized, you need more than rings.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //