//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 86/87 200x grab bar options

jasong_10 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

86/87 200x grab bar options

Does anyone know where I can find an OE-appearing grab bar for an 86/87 200x? The only thing the 87 that I picked up this spring was missing was the grab bar and taillight. My father-in-law made one out of square tubing for now, but I would really like to get an OE, or aftermarket OE appearing one for it. I've looked all over and haven't found anybody that even makes any grab bar for the 86/87.
    Jason

85 ATC 250R - restored stock other than 18" rears, nerf bars, Honda key switch, 14T front sprocket, and white tank and plastics (except rad shrouds)

87 ATC 200X - restored stock other than 18" rears and nerf bars

84 TRX 200 - rough but complete budget restore for wife and eventually daughters to bum around on

Eton Viper 50cc - oldest daughter's current ride

--
    Other than the OEM Honda ones, PRM ATV (which is now closed) used to make aftermarket "standard style" grab bars for the 86-87 200x. Both the OEM Honda and the PRM's show up on ebay but they get snatched up pretty quickly. Below is an image of what the PRM bar looks like. I ordered this one a long time ago without the whip mount and used on my 86 for a while. That was back when they would powder coat them any color you wanted. Also pictured is a NOS stock Honda bar for reference. They are not for sale.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	86-87_200X_PRM-ATV_Standard_Grab_Bar_no_whip_mount.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	410.9 KB 
ID:	263789Click image for larger version. 

Name:	86-87_200X_OEM_Honda_Grab_Bar.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	462.5 KB 
ID:	263790

jasong_10 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    Other than the OEM Honda ones, PRM ATV (which is now closed) used to make aftermarket "standard style" grab bars for the 86-87 200x. Both the OEM Honda and the PRM's show up on ebay but they get snatched up pretty quickly. Below is an image of what the PRM bar looks like. I ordered this one a long time ago without the whip mount and used on my 86 for a while. That was back when they would powder coat them any color you wanted. Also pictured is a NOS stock Honda bar for reference. They are not for sale.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	86-87_200X_PRM-ATV_Standard_Grab_Bar_no_whip_mount.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	410.9 KB 
ID:	263789Click image for larger version. 

Name:	86-87_200X_OEM_Honda_Grab_Bar.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	462.5 KB 
ID:	263790
    Yeah, I'm quickly discovering that they are the holy grails of grab bars, lol. Right after I got the X in March I saw an OE one on Ebay for somewhere around $115 and thought "that's crazy", and didn't pull the trigger. Now I would gladly pay that, haha. All I can hope for now is for another OE one to pop up, or luck out and maybe someone on here has swapped out their's for a six-pack style and is willing to part with their OE one, not holding my breath though.
    Jason

85 ATC 250R - restored stock other than 18" rears, nerf bars, Honda key switch, 14T front sprocket, and white tank and plastics (except rad shrouds)

84 TRX 200 - rough but complete budget restore for wife and eventually daughters to bum around on

--

86/87 200x grab bar options

jasong- this is your thread so here's what you pm'd me about. I've got 2 at the moment out of my last batch left.
    figured you would not mind me posting here.
    one is slightly darker red/ the lighter red has like a faded white dye smudge barely noticable from 2-feet away (top outer corner)
    I'll text u better pics tomorrow pm. The lighter shade one would be cheaper of course than the price we spoke about due to smudge. These 2 have not been cleaned of the extra mold plastic yet (edges) or drilled, i dont invest the drilling/cleaning edge time till sold.

shep
    Last edited by Shep1970; 07-29-2020 at 09:39 PM.

--
    I'm pretty sure I could have them repoduced. Their might be some flight differeanced but the bending should not be a big deal. Ive mad grab bars for other machines in the past and its not hard to make somthing work and have it look nice out of alum, the thin walled tubing might be the only hang up since i wonder if its metric tube. Let me know. I run a machine shop but i'd need a sample or a detailed drawing.

--
    ATD makes grab bars. Craig Burton is on facebook and he lives in Maine. His style grab bars are more like RPM style and less stock looking

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Shep1970 View Post
    jasong- this is your thread so here's what you pm'd me about. I've got 2 at the moment out of my last batch left.
    figured you would not mind me posting here.
    one is slightly darker red/ the lighter red has like a faded white dye smudge barely noticable from 2-feet away (top outer corner)
    I'll text u better pics tomorrow pm. The lighter shade one would be cheaper of course than the price we spoke about due to smudge. These 2 have not been cleaned of the extra mold plastic yet (edges) or drilled, i dont invest the drilling/cleaning edge time till sold.

shep
    Yeah, no problem posting here, the pics look good. You don't have to bother texting me any pics, I've only got a basic Tracfone plan so I can't send or receive pics through text. In your opinion which shade is closer to original Honda red, the lighter ir darker one?
    Jason

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    I'm pretty sure I could have them repoduced. Their might be some flight differeanced but the bending should not be a big deal. Ive mad grab bars for other machines in the past and its not hard to make somthing work and have it look nice out of alum, the thin walled tubing might be the only hang up since i wonder if its metric tube. Let me know. I run a machine shop but i'd need a sample or a detailed drawing.
    I'll keep that in mind, I don't have a sample or a schematic right now anyways.
    Jason

--
    Quote Originally Posted by sledcrazyinCT View Post
    ATD makes grab bars. Craig Burton is on facebook and he lives in Maine. His style grab bars are more like RPM style and less stock looking
    Okay, I'd prefer a stock-looking one, but I'll keep the information.
    Jason

--
    The lighter red is closest in color. The darker one isnt far off either, stock in middle.
    If your not in a hurry just wait a couple wks/ I already have the plastic mix, just waiting for time. To be honest i'd just wait.

shep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    The lighter red is closest in color. The darker one isnt far off either, stock in middle.
    If your not in a hurry just wait a couple wks/ I already have the plastic mix, just waiting for time. To be honest i'd just wait.

shep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Okay, I'll wait for the next batch, I appreciate your honesty. Work is going to get crazy busy the next couple weeks for me so I might not remember to check in/log in very often, so don't be afraid to send me a text. It's a recycled number so I do get a lot of junk texts, just put shep in there and I'll know it's you. I'll try to check in/log in at least every couple days though. Thanks again.
    Last edited by jasong_10; 07-31-2020 at 06:55 PM.
    Jason

--
    Sounds good, i'll be in touch.

shep

--
    Sounds good, i'll be in touch.

shep
    Okay, thank you.
    Jason

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //