//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Which bike to buy and for how much

--

Which bike to buy and for how much

I'm very new to the 3 wheel world so forgive my ignorance. I'm looking at 2 ATC's right now (which are much more expensive than I'd anticipated).

1. 1985 Honda Big Red 250ES. It's bone stock and spent the last 35 years on a ranch. It was used regularly and is in very good condition. One issue is the metal fuel tank developed pinholes, so the owner installed a plastic tank, but still has the original one. He also had the carburetor "replaced" 5 years ago. The son in law is selling it due to the ranchers bad health & doesn't know much else, other than it's been problem free for the last 35 years.
    Attachment 263795Attachment 263796

2. 1985 Honda 250SX. This bike was completely redone with all aftermarket parts by a guy who's "done this several times". The bike looks like new, and he said he changed all the cables, bushings, paint, plastics...to make it a daily rider.

I'm a ATV and motorcycle guy, so this is more of a novelty or corona boredom. It will be ridden on trails once every couple of months due to my proximity to any trails. No racing or aggressive riding, just easy slow trail riding. I ride alone 99.9% of the time and don't see people on the trails most of the time, so reliability is priority since I'm alone. I won't list the prices, but I'd appreciate some guidance on price, resale and fun factor.

--
    Beuller, Beuller, Beuller?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	6.8 KB 
ID:	263818  

--
    Both are nice machines If you value OEM over aftermarket buy the big red. You might use it as a yard machine if you must drive to trail systems.
    Better resale value leans towards big reds with crack free OEM fenders, should be able to get an original metal gas tank if that is something important to you.

--
    So other readers know these are the machines he is looking at for advice

Name:  SX texas.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  140.2 KB

Name:  big red TX.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  108.9 KB

--
    Generally the SX is considered a better trail trike. It's lighter and handles better. The biggest exception I would add to this is I think that the Big Red makes a much better rock crawler. The Big Red also makes a better deep water/mud trike.

--
    If you want/need OEM side covers for that Big Red, better add that to the price.

One's a utility trike, the other a sport utility. Both have drum brakes, so neither have excellent stopping power. 250SX has higher final gearing, faster top speed. Both are more than fast enough for what they are.

Something with a rack, any rack, even a six-pack, is better than nothing. For your intended use, you'll probably want something with racks. I mean, riding alone, it's nice to be able to carry a few more things for self rescue and not having to wear a heavy backpack. I'd me more inclined toward the SX if it had a rear rack, but if they don't already, it's expensive to put one on.

Both are fairly heavy, so even stuck a little or forbid, tumbled down a hillside, you're going to want at least some manual recovery items, ropes and blocks. If not either of those, somewhere to carry really comfortable walking shoes and drinking water, like in the Big Reds rear compartment.

If you ever think you'll put even a small trailer, for work around the house; Big Red. It's just better built for work.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

patriot1 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Basically the same bike, just one is made to be a workhorse and one is made to ride. I'd go with the SX for what you want to do.

--
    So did you make your choice yet? Either one is a good machine.

--
    Sorry for the late response...
    They were both very nice bikes. The SX seemed more like lipstick on a pig since it wasn't a restoration; just shiny plastics and bits, but at a restoration price point (kind of silly to buy a restored atc really). The Big Red lived on the farm it's whole life as a work horse, but it smoked a little and was not maintained well (nothing special really).
    So I kept looking and found another Big Red with speedometer and tachometer and also lived on a farm it's whole life. It was cheaper and ran good, but looked beat up and also, very little maintenance done.
    I ended up buying a 1985 Honda ATC 200X. This was my least favorite bike, but was a south Texas bike since new with new plastics and a good fuel tank. It was sold to a 19 year old kid who damaged the engine in 3 months. So, I traded him a nice hand gun for the bike. I got it running the following day, but it smoked some and didn't rev past 1/4 throttle. So, I took it apart, mailed the cylinder & head to G&H in Tennessee for machining and should get the parts back next week. Total cost was a H&K VP9 handgun ($750), $322 for engine work, plus another $20-50 for small stuff.

Name:	IMG_2203 (2).JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	264041   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2190 (1).JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	264042   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2192 (2).JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	264043   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2202 (1).JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	2.60 MB 
ID:	264044   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2194 (1).JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	264045  

--
    Got the parts back from G&H and started assembly today. I think I spent about 3 hours on it so far without issues. I'll install the cam & set the timing tomorrow. Hopefully I'll install the engine, fuel tank....and get it running on Saturday.

Name:	IMG_2267.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	264204   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2266.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	264205   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2263.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	264207   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2265.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	264206  

--
    Good to hear. be sure to let us know how it goes. Be sure to post pictures from your test ride or rides.

--
    Another XR650L rider too, I see.

Maybe you'll get the 200X sorted out easy enough. Kind of late now, but even on something I'm going to tear down, I like to get it running best as possible, to suss out any carb or ignition issues I won't be throwing more variables at later.

It's nice to have a fresh engine fire up and run right, with just some minor carb adjustments.

From the pictures you've posted, the engine looks pretty clean and from what I can see, the cam journals don't look trashed. What exactly did the previous owner do to damage the engine?
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    so.. you get it going?
    1980 Honda 110-125 lifan manual clutch *in progress*

1985 200x - building peice by piece

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //