//ArrowChat Code

Thread: People Still Dying & Being Injured in ATV Crashes

--

People Still Dying & Being Injured in ATV Crashes

A local news story about the uptick in ATV injuries.
    https://www.5newsonline.com/article/...0-e88e5f0c90fc

I'm just sick of it. Some parents need to own up and teach their children ATV/UTV safety and make them adhere to it or don't let them ride. Children have died in ATV crashes around here, yet I still see them on adult quads, no helmet or any riding gear (Crocs aren't riding shoes), and often they're riding two up. Certainly none of them wear the safety belts in UTVs.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Well lets see, just one-ish comment on that. The federal govt. in 2009 banned the (new) sales of kids atv's so dealerships/companies stopped producing them-now there (kids) only real option is to ride adult atv's. Hmm kids atv may weigh 150lbs, adult atv/sxs weigh what? 600-1200lbs, Yup i'd have to agree there's probably many more serious accidents due to that alone.
    Totaly agree with helmets on atv's but bicycles nope dont own any.
    Govt tried to take the atv riding away from kids but in reality (kids) will find a way....
    I think of it this way kids get hurt playing sports all the time (broken bones/fractures/black eyes/cuts/scrapes or worse.
    Yes i would protect my kids lives over my own but you also cant keep them in a bubble.
    Gotta say "no" to your kids and teach them consequences of there actions, many parents skip that step nowadays and we end up with more "democrats" (ya i had to throw that in there)
    Yes i agree "some" parents need to step up the game on a few things.

shep
    Last edited by Shep1970; 07-31-2020 at 02:04 PM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    A local news story about the uptick in ATV injuries.
    Certainly none of them wear the safety belts in UTVs.
    More people die slapping their head in a roll over in a UTV SXS because they don’t wear a helmet inside a caged vehicle. I’ve argued with many parents and especially Grandparents about weight to age safety on utility quads...just try and ride around without a helmet in my group....it’s like watching someone dive into a pool through a floating inner tube....stupid!

--

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Shep1970 View Post
    Well lets see, just one-ish comment on that. The federal govt. in 2009 banned the (new) sales of kids atv's so dealerships/companies stopped producing them-now there (kids) only real option is to ride adult atv's.
    That was the work of the CSPC again, the same group that had trike manufacturers cease production. The way I remember it, they were worried about lead in child products. So, if you're child likes to lick 50cc motorcycles and ATVs, the CSPC wanted to protect them from lead poisoning.

It was total crap, and since you put it like you did, yes, people just bought adult size quad for their children. That shows the ignorance of the CSPC, for sure. Very good point.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Z 250 View Post
    More people die slapping their head in a roll over in a UTV SXS because they don’t wear a helmet inside a caged vehicle.
    Excellent point. There are very comfortable helmets available nowadays, and I'd say that a downhill mountain bike helmet would probably be great in a UTV, because they are more vented than a motorcycle/ATV helmet and the conditions for protection are not about abrasion from a get-off (don't need such a hard outer shell). There are a lot of MIPS equipped downhill helmets out there now, and more on the motorcycle market all the time.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by knappyfeet View Post
    Nothing but face palm on those. Money hungry lawyers and grief stricken parents not wanting to accept responsibility. I have family that's been in a similar situation, and they've handled it very well. A grandchild of theirs became a millionaire as a child, because of the way my cousin (his dad) died at work. His mother also died in a work related accident later, which is why his grandparents had custody. Want to make it sadder? His stepsister died in a car crash and he came upon the scene as the ambulance was there, covering her up. None of them are living like they have money, nobody would know different. My uncle is a Vietnam Vet, and I've never heard him say a single thing about Vietnam. That was his only son. Nobody would ever see them on television talking about it. Not even on a cold day in hell.

I've been a pallbearer at many family funerals. So many people think they're going to live forever.

I've been stitched, stapled, glued, and screwed back together, multiple times. I'm lucky. Burn my body and metal will be left. Broken bones don't scare me, but head injuries terrify me.

Our minds are the only thing that separates us from animals. For a human to loose their mind from trauma, is like dying from rabies, except much, much slower and to die worse than an animal.
    Last edited by ATC King; 07-31-2020 at 11:58 PM.

--
    Another recent one that should have never happened.

https://www.wfla.com/news/pasco-coun...-in-dade-city/

--
    Anybody know where I can buy a rear rack for a 1985 Honda trike ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorgirl View Post
    Anybody know where I can buy a rear rack for a 1985 Honda trike ?

Sue
    This post should be posted in the parts discussion thread.
    90 nickolson Bored and Stroked "The Good"

Big Bore 110 Pauter frame "The Bad"

90 Bored and Stroked “vey’s frame” "The Ugly"

110 JSC frame Bored and Stroked
    flat track build. “Shop trike”

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    Oh I’m new ... I’m not sure where to find it

--
    I found it !

--

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorgirl View Post
    I found it !

There is also a classified ad section a little further down
    90 nickolson Bored and Stroked "The Good"

Big Bore 110 Pauter frame "The Bad"

90 Bored and Stroked “vey’s frame” "The Ugly"

110 JSC frame Bored and Stroked
    flat track build. “Shop trike”

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    Really sad one here. It's not an ATV crash, but it's about helmets. None of the news stories report whether she was wearing a helmet or not, but from pictures and here injuries, it doesn't look like she was. I do want to point out that Arkansas has what I consider a great helmet law, in that anyone under 21 must wear one. That leaves adults (loose term) to choose.
    Unfortunately, the FPD rarely enforce it. First hand experience. The college campus is ripe with helmet law infractions, and nobody is raising an eyebrow about it, but scooter crashes are common. Anyways, a fair law which should be enforced.

One thing that all the news agencies aren't reporting is the driver who ran her over used the excuse the scooter didn't have a taillight. This was in the daytime. (edit: it was at night, one news story said ~2pm, but still, even if the bulb is out, tail lights have reflectors built in) As usual, the driver gets off with no legal consequences. 'I didn't see them' - get out of jail free card. As a motorcycle rider, this infuriates me. I've had that excuse applied to my own motorcycle crash. Also as a CDL driver, it's inexcusable and would result in a lawsuit against the truck driver, but doesn't four wheeler drivers.

She died. This video is before that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttTMNIjuUEA

My sister was in Arkansas Children's Hospital when younger, the same place this girl was taken to. There is no level 1 trauma center in Northwest Arkansas, Arkansas Children's Hospital (Little Rock) has a Level 1 trauma center. Little Rock has the only Level 1 trauma centers in the state. If you are hit by a car as a pedestrian, cyclist, or motorcycle rider in Arkansas and severely injured, Little Rock (middle of the state) is your only hope.
    Last edited by ATC King; 08-06-2020 at 03:05 PM.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //