//ArrowChat Code

Thread: ATC250ES Shift drum problem when trying to fix shift lever. Please Help

--

ATC250ES Shift drum problem when trying to fix shift lever. Please Help

Hey Guys.

Purchased an 85 Big Red about a month ago. The known issues when I got it were that the shift lever would not return to center when downshifting (unless you tap it back up with your foot), and the electric start wouldn’t work, supposedly because of the 1-way clutch gear.

I’ve had the left cover off for the past 2 weeks trying to figure out what is causing these problems. The shifter bolt pin thing that usually breaks was loose and broke when tightening, so I removed it all and replaced. I also took the drum shifter (with the 2 little springs and pawls) off the end of the shifter drum to check and removed the shift drum stopper arm from below the shift drum to inspect that spring.

When I put it all back together (cover is still off but I replaced all of the parts from above and slid the gearshift spindle and shift lever on to test it) it will shift up or down 1 gear and spin the drum, but after that it won’t shift up (won’t allow the lever to go up), and when pushing the Shift lever down It will keep going (and return to center) but will not spin the shift drum, it will just let me keep tapping it down.

What do you think? What should I check?

I didn’t flip the machine on it’s side to do this, it’s on the ground with the left tire on a ramp.

Thanks in advance

--
    I just went out to look at this again, when I push the shift lever up or down it will spin the drum once up or down then still allow me to ratchet the shifter up or down but the shift drum does not spin. Is this correct, or should the drum keep spinning each time the shift lever goes up or down?

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //