//ArrowChat Code

Thread: ATC250ES Elec Start Problem, 1-Way Clutch?

--

ATC250ES Elec Start Problem, 1-Way Clutch?

Hey Guys,

Bought my ‘85 Big Red with one of the gears for the electric start removed because, supposedly, it needed a 1-way clutch gear. I put the gear back in and Quickly bumped the start button to test and there was loud grinding, so I removed the gear (kickstart works fine).

I removed the left side cover to inspect this and a shifter problem I also posted about. The gear the starter linkage engages seems to be OK. It will spin in one direction and not the other. Which is how it is supposed to act with the 1-way clutch, I think. All of the gears seem to be in good shape and not noticeably stripped.

I bought a one-way clutch to replace anyway, but when trying to remove the flywheel the motor just spins. How can I lock it?

Any other ideas on what is causing this issue, since tHe one-way clutch seems to be working anyway?

Thanks

--
    If the electric starter is grinding and all of the electric starter gears look OK, and the one way clutch seems to be acting correctly... What could be causing this?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigRedOne View Post
    If the electric starter is grinding and all of the electric starter gears look OK, and the one way clutch seems to be acting correctly... What could be causing this?
    Hope you get some answers I have a quad with the same issue

--
    Sounds like the one way bearing might have failed. I'm more used to the kick start side failing, when they start to go, it generally is ok kicking lightly, but a hard kick it can slip. When it's really bad, it slips almost every kick and sometimes grabs. I suspect the grinding could be the bad one way bearing.

One thing to note, there's a pin that goes on with the cover, make sure that pin is there or it's eating up your stator cover. I had a machine assembled that way and almost took the cover out starting it a couple times.

For removing the flywheel, check the service manual, it shows the special tool to use, should be pretty easy to make if you have metal working tooling and skills. Another option is to jam up the gears on the other side of the engine with something, not the greatest option but it's something. An impact is probably the easiest solution but you still need to install and torque the bolt.

Also, the starter on the 250es should have 10 teeth if I remember correctly. There's other machines with a similar designed starter, but the gear is the wrong tooth count. If the wrong starter was installed, that could cause problems too. There's also an old/new style starter, if I remember right the shaft on the starter is a different length based on what year it's for. Pretty sure the 250es and sx used the same starter if you matched up years, just one silver one black.

If you can get a video uploaded to like youtube so we can hear the issue, we can probably help locate the issue a bit easier. A bad starter can make some grinding type noises too from worn out or jammed up brushes.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //