//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 250ES drum shifter help

--

250ES drum shifter help

So I have the left side of the engine cover off to try to find why the shifter wouldn’t return to center. Replaced the loose/ broken pin and removed the drum shifter with the little springs and pawls and the lever underneath. When ratcheting from gear to gear the pawls will catch 1 gear on the drum back and forth and then keep ratcheting(because they can’t catch a gear in the mechanism) or I can bump back the shifter and the pawl barely catches the outer drum bowl in the shift drum piece and locks up and won’t move..

It seems I need to line up the shift drum and shifter, or the springs and pawls on my shift drum ratchet piece do not have enough tension?? Everything else looks perfect per the service manual. I’m trying to shift with the cover off and the gearshift lever in. It’s not moving the wheel far enough to engage the next gear other than 1 back and forth

New pawls and springs?? They look fine??
    I want to close this up tomorrow if I can

Thanks

--
    Do the springs and pawls in the drum shifter mechanism wear out? Mine look OK, but maybe if the springs don’t have enough tension this is what is causing the shiter to not spin the drum enough to engage the next set of holes in the drum shifter to allow it to fully engage the next gear?

I’m thinking this has something to do with I have everything realigned after putting the gearshift spindle, drum ratchet, and the spring loaded lever underneath it back together, but I’ve had it apart about 7 times and can’t figure it out

--
    The problem seems to be that the shifter wont move the drum shifter far enough for the pawl to fully engage the next slot. What would cause this?

Thanks

--
    Are you rotating the transmission while trying to shift ?
    The gears will have a hard time messing otherwise .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Bump.

Did you try rotating the countershaft while shifting to see if it clicks into gear?

I'm assuming the drum moves shift forks to move the gear sets apart and together so are the shift girls bent or worn?

Is the shift drum lubed good or dry? Are the shift fork rollers hanging up in the shift drum slots?

Got pics? Maybe someone else will notice something that looks wrong.

Sometimes POs stomp-shifted their machines alot and sometimes they get tore up from getting caught on brush or rocks on the trail

--
    Quote Originally Posted by shortline10 View Post
    Are you rotating the transmission while trying to shift ?
    The gears will have a hard time messing otherwise .
    We must've been typing at the same time

--
    Everything worked fine and shifted fine when I took it apart (except when downshifting the shift lever wouldn't pop back up with out a tap), now that seems to be fixed. But the ratchet mechanism that rotated the shift drum doesn't seem to move enough to fully engage the next slot, so it will upshift or downshift once, then just keep going up or down since it isnt engaged, or it will barely wedge in the slot and get stuck. The cover is still off, I just have the gearshift shaft in place to test this.

How can I access the countershaft? The drum is probably bit dry as I drained the oil.

I'll take pics tonight.

I'm thinking the shift drum, ratchet mechanism and the spring loaded lever underneath the shift drum need to be in a particular orientation when installing the gearshift lever, and it is out of whack, but I've taken it apart a few times and moved a bit and it doesn't seem to be changing anything.

Thanks

--
    I’ can’t figure out how to attach the pics?? . as you can see the pawls in the drum shifter aren’t moving the shifter drum far enough to engage the next set of teeth... what could be causing this??

--
    Would anything under the right side cover cause this issue? I haven’t had it off yet? I know there is a pin that could be aligned on the other end of the shifter drum and a clutch lever that I think connects to the gearshift shaft... could they cause this? This seems like a weird thing cause by something I did removing the gearshift shaft and drum shifter

--
    What is the best was to get video from my phone on here?

--

--
    Any suggestions from the video above?

Thanks In advance

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //