//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 84 kawasaki tecate rear shock

--

84 kawasaki tecate rear shock

Hey guys i need your wisdom i am looking for a upgrade for the rear shock can anyone tell me what shock will work the best year and model of the bikes that will fit or looking for the best i can get for around 800 dollars thanks for the help

--
    All the parts to rebuild the stock shock are available for around 75 bucks, that includes the seal head, bumper, and oil. They are not hard to rebuild yourself. Other options include the 01 Raptor 660 shock, but it is a bit longer and you will need to drill out one of the mounts. A banshee shock with a remote rez will also work. And I think maybe a Honda 300 EX shock, but I'm not 100% sure. I wouldn't consider any of these "upgrades," just other options. Works Performance used to make replacements shocks but they went out of business. I think your best option is a rebuild or put an 85 Tecate shock on your 84. It has a compression adjuster on the rez, the 84 doesn't.

--
    banshee and warrior shock are the same lenght. warrior shock has a 13" long rez line. They can be found pretty cheap but you need to pay attention to the chrome shaft at the bottom of the bump stop. Worst cast a new elka for a warrior is about $400 not a real bad deal. 300ex rear is a pogo thats not serviable.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by christph View Post
    Works Performance used to make replacements shocks but they went out of business.
    News to me, so I just searched them and it seems one of the family members has reopened it under the name WorX.

I have one and I like it the ride, but the ball valve or whatever they use makes a weird noise when rebounding with the engine off.

--
    works went out of business few years ago but they are back under the name Worx performance shocks. They will build new shock, elka is still better company to deal with. I needed some new shocks for a warrior and tried to buy thru worx....they take a copy of you email and some guy starr stitely emails you an empty email with a photo attached of him writing on it saying call tim....its werid....but see attached. I ended up buying used oldschool works off a suspenion builder i know. he treaded me good for the 3rd time again.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by puckshot View Post
    Hey guys i need your wisdom i am looking for a upgrade for the rear shock can anyone tell me what shock will work the best year and model of the bikes that will fit or looking for the best i can get for around 800 dollars thanks for the help
    My neighbor that did all the development on these bikes says the very first thing you need to do if you want to improve the suspension, is to install an 85 rocker and dog bone, because the 84 rocker was not nearly progressive enough at full compression so the 84's bottomed easily, so they designed a new rocker for 85 which also requires a different dog bone, and they redesigned the shock which also has adjustable damping. He also says that there is not a shock in the world that can compensate completely for the rocker ratio problem.

He said he has a few sets of 85 rockers, dog bones, and shocks if you want to buy them or you can try your luck on ebay and you will most likely end up with an 84 rocker and dog bone that someone is advertising as an 85, because very few people know the difference. He also has a 2" longer aluminum swingarm he builds and a fuel tank and an original Bassani cone pipe and headlight assembly and a bunch of other parts, including a disc brake front end and a set of perfect fork tubes with no pits.

He also said that he and all the factory Team Green guys used stock rear shocks, but that some of them were revalved and used the optional stiffer spring for heavier riders like Donnie Luce and Jimmy White.

If you want any of these parts you can send me a pm with your contact info and I will give it to him.
    Last edited by rpeters; 08-06-2020 at 07:15 PM.

--
    Thanks everyone here is a pic of my 84 im completely redoing.thisbis what i need the shock forClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20200806_204436.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	263887Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200806_204422.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	935.2 KB 
ID:	263888

--
    Quote Originally Posted by rpeters View Post
    My neighbor that did all the development on these bikes says the very first thing you need to do if you want to improve the suspension, is to install an 85 rocker and dog bone, because the 84 rocker was not nearly progressive enough at full compression so the 84's bottomed easily, so they designed a new rocker for 85 which also requires a different dog bone, and they redesigned the shock which also has adjustable damping. He also says that there is not a shock in the world that can compensate completely for the rocker ratio problem.

He said he has a few sets of 85 rockers, dog bones, and shocks if you want to buy them or you can try your luck on ebay and you will most likely end up with an 84 rocker and dog bone that someone is advertising as an 85, because very few people know the difference. He also has a 2" longer aluminum swingarm he builds and a fuel tank and an original Bassani cone pipe and headlight assembly and a bunch of other parts, including a disc brake front end and a set of perfect fork tubes with no pits.

He also said that he and all the factory Team Green guys used stock rear shocks, but that some of them were revalved and used the optional stiffer spring for heavier riders like Donnie Luce and Jimmy White.

If you want any of these parts you can send me a pm with your contact info and I will give it to him.
    Is that the same guy that spray bombs old Crown Vic’s and sells them to the local PD?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    Is that the same guy that spray bombs old Crown Vic’s and sells them to the local PD?
    Yes he sells a lot of undercover cars and police bikes, and a lot of police buy them, but I have no idea what you mean by spray bomb. He only buys really nice vehicles that might need some parts painted that got scratched or some minor mechanical repair. He used to restore cars, so he is very detailed oriented.
    Last edited by rpeters; 08-07-2020 at 01:09 AM.

--
    Thanks everyone here is a pic of my 84 im completely redoing.thisbis what i need the shock forClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20200806_204436.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	263887Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200806_204422.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	935.2 KB 
ID:	263888
    What forks are you using on that? If they are longer than stock you will need to raise the back up by the same amount and you might want a longer swingarm.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by rpeters View Post
    What forks are you using on that? If they are longer than stock you will need to raise the back up by the same amount and you might want a longer swingarm.
    I'm putting 2005 Honda CRF 450 forks And the swing arm is already a plus 4

--
    I'm putting 2005 Honda CRF 450 forks And the swing arm is already a plus 4
    I'm guessing you are only going to use it for hill climbing or sand dunes with the 4" over arm. Those forks should be nice on there.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //