//ArrowChat Code

Thread: What Glue to Fix Helmet

--

What Glue to Fix Helmet

The rubber lining around the opening to my HJC CL-X3 Helmet has come off after ~18 years of riding with it. Me being the guy that makes things last, I want to re-glue it and keep using it. I've been through a lot with that helmet. Any suggestions on the type of glue to use? I tried Shoe Goo II and it didn't hold... Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_8309.JPG   IMG_8310.JPG  

Honda
    86 350X - Full Restomod
    85 250R - Next for Frame Up
    85 Big Red - Clean Original

--
    I've used plain old contact cement with decent results, but it will still pull off easily if tested due to the smoothness of the helmet's finish. Might want to try Crazy Glue.

--
    Maybe it's a sign to get a new one. Hang that one up for the memories.

Helmets aren't meant to last a lifetime. UV light, environment, and body oils degrade them over time, to the point they may not provide the protection intended. It's not any different than construction hardhats, which often have dates stamped/molded into them. Protective gear also advances all the time.

There are some really nice helmets available now. Removable (washable) liners are just about the norm, and ventilation has vastly improved on many. There has also been serious consideration to what they are used for, as in a helmet designed to protect MotoGP racers may offer less protection for riders at lower speeds where impact forces are lower and the helmet's interior may not deform under lower impacts. Helmets are also a one time use deal. Have a pretty good crash...toss it and buy a new one. Nobody is repacking automotive air bags like parachutes.

Treat yourself to a new one. My first stop is the online closeout sales that many websites have. They're really thrifty for people who have and undersized or oversized head, because those are the sizes that usually end up clearanced.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    I use Shoe Goo on everything, and its an awesome product. It seems to be a mix of silicone, airplane glue and super glue. Gotta let it cure based on how thick you build it up.

I put it on it being soft, but thick, it slowly rolls off when thick, so you have to watch the cure and rotate towards the area you want gravity to take the stuff.

I've used this stuff for 40 years, great stuff!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    3M weather stripping adhesive is designed for exactly that type of job, or plain liquid super glue. It will never come off again with super glue, if done properly. My neighbor showed me how he often uses super glue to do small jobs like that and the rubber can't be pulled off after just 10 minutes, but it is very easy to use too much and have it squeeze out beyond the rubber, which you would need to try and clean off right away so it doesn't damage the paint where you can see it. The weatherstripping adhesive dries slowly, so you will likely need to tape the rubber in place after gluing it with that until the glue dries.

--
    Shoe goo is an amazing product

--
    Seriously for a helmet that the DOT numbers beyond 5yrs of age on a less than $150 purchase? When it comes to valued helmets they become wall hangers. A $600 and up 5yr old maybe I’d fix ....I’m a cheap beat repeat on helmets like gear wear out and no matter what get funky.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //