//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 1983 185S Hammy Down: Only runs on choke

--

1983 185S Hammy Down: Only runs on choke

Hey folks,
    I'm new to the forum.
    I inherited a 1983 Honda 185s. I've done a good bit of work on it but I'm having issues with the carb.
    It only runs when the choke is on the first setting.
    I've taken the carb apart so many times and all the jets are new. All passages are open.
    The symptoms tell me not enough fuel on the idle circuit. Previous owner had the same issue. Only runs on choke.

I don't know if the carb body is bad. The pilot jet hole that goes from the jet area into the main throat is clear. It's offset and not drilled right in the center of the pilot jet area which seems odd.

The valve set throttle is about 20 mm. Not sure if this is the correct carb or maybe just a bad one.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

--
    Where is the needle set? Go down 1 notch...see how it runs. Blow air back from carb line back to tank could be crud in pickup area if tank wasn’t clean or this thing sat. If you go more than 2 up or down then rejet the main in that direction. Moving needle up( going down one clip) increases fuel opposite also holds true, good luck. It should be dead middle in most applications but if yours is in the top slot you lean for sure.

--
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried moving the clip on the needle to position 1, 2, and 3. Not much difference in any position.
    Have you ever gone up in size on the pilot jet to a #40.
    Will try a few more things.

--
    Take some starting fluid and spray around intake manifold while running. Possibly an air leak if prior fix it owner replaced gasket with paper or liquid. If it’s a knock off your size # may vary from stock. Your stock jets may not transfer to new carb. Is the air box open and does it have aftermarket pipe? If your carb is larger than stock your most likely rich as most machines are lean in fuel delivery in stock form. Plug check? You’ve tried air box lid on, then off while adjusting needle position? Still no difference, I’m out of simple ideas.

--
    Well,
    With the stock carb, I've tried the stock #38, #40, & #42 Keihin from JetsRUs.
    Only runs with the choke in the first position. The needle clip in the second position from the top. I did just have the engine bored 0.75 mm over. The exhaust appears to be stock. I've been experimenting with the stock air box off. I would think it would stay running with the air box off at idle.
    I sprayed carb cleaner around the rubber boot between the carb and motor. Seems ne air leaks on that end.
    Still seems to be running lean. Taking it off choke it just wants to die and giving it throttle will barely keep it running.
    Beating my head against the wall right now.
    Any ideas.
    Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Ballsie; 08-13-2020 at 08:53 PM.

--
    AN update if your curious.
    I installed all the original carb slow jet #38, main jet #98, and needle with clip in position 2 from the top.
    Air box on and sealed up.
    Ran better with a little choke on, air screw at 1 turn out. Still doesn't want to run without choke.
    When off choke need to give a good bit of throttle to keep running. Checked plug and its running rich.
    Moved clip on needle to position 1. Have to turn the idle screw all the way in to barely keep running without choke, still need throttle to keep running. Running extremely rich in this condition.
    I'm going to get a #95 main jet and see what happens.
    Any other items to try.
    Thanks

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //