//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I got lucky....

--

I got lucky....

I was riding with a group on Sunday and had a pretty bad accident...front axle snapped on my 250es, thus making the entire front wheel fall off. I was going about 45 mph when it happened. The forks dug into the ground and I took flight over the bars. As one of the guys said "flew like superman for about 20ft". I landed on my shoulder and head, bounced and hit the ground on my stomach, completely taking my breath away. I got up and took quick evaluation of the situation. The trike layed upside for 10mins while I got my calmed down. I was pretty shook up! Typical Honda, fired first kick! Today I'm very sore, but lucky to have no major injuries (other than bruised ribs and can't move my shoulder much at all without extreme
    pain). In the end i was able to show my group why helmets save lives, mine saved me.

As for my big red, my mint rack is now totaled, axle broken, forks bent, triple tree bent.

Now, can I fit a 200x front end on it? if so does anyone have one for sale in the eastern south Dakota area? I need to get riding again!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200809_201546.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	263964
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200809_222420_018.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	411.8 KB 
ID:	263965
    Currently : trx400fw, ct70, 250es,200x, xl80s, 350x, 350x, 225DX, trx300

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Homeless Dave View Post
    The trike layed upside for 10mins...
    Still is!

You indeed got lucky. Oddball failure.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

jasong_10 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Trikes can be fixed much easier than people, glad you're okay.
    Jason

85 ATC 250R - restored stock other than 18" rears, nerf bars, Honda key switch, 14T front sprocket, and white tank and plastics (except rad shrouds)

87 ATC 200X - restored stock other than 18" rears and nerf bars

84 TRX 200 - rough but complete budget restore for wife and eventually daughters to bum around on

Eton Viper 50cc - oldest daughter's current ride

--
    I'd dont know how to fix the picture's orientation, otherwise I'd get it fixed.

--
    Wow that's just crazy. I'm glad that you're ok. I believe that you can put a first gen 200X front end on it. Since a 250ES is pretty heavy, you might want to use a 350X front end so the forks hold up the weight better. Finding one may not be easy.

--
    Glad you are ok and nothing major happened to you. As far as upgrading the front end on the 250es, I saw this video a while back that you may want to check out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS0pTxJeVLg

Also there is a front end from a 350x on ebay right now. Does not look too bad if you are looking to experiment.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Honda-...oAAOSwyb5evYRy

patriot1 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Crazy, you always seem to get lucky!

--
    I'll look into a 350x front. Cash is tight right now, I have my 1st semester tuition due along with rent and tool payments, so it might be a while before I can get it fixed.

As for always being lucky, I'm afraid my luck will someday run out...thats sacres me a bit!

--
    Based on the title I thought this was going to be one of those Fabio met a girl in the checkout line stories, but damn dude!

Glad to hear you’re alive

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Homeless Dave View Post
    I was riding with a group on Sunday and had a pretty bad accident...front axle snapped on my 250es, thus making the entire front wheel fall off. I was going about 45 mph when it happened. The forks dug into the ground and I took flight over the bars. As one of the guys said "flew like superman for about 20ft". I landed on my shoulder and head, bounced and hit the ground on my stomach, completely taking my breath away. I got up and took quick evaluation of the situation. The trike layed upside for 10mins while I got my calmed down. I was pretty shook up! Typical Honda, fired first kick! Today I'm very sore, but lucky to have no major injuries (other than bruised ribs and can't move my shoulder much at all without extreme
    pain). In the end i was able to show my group why helmets save lives, mine saved me.

As for my big red, my mint rack is now totaled, axle broken, forks bent, triple tree bent.

Now, can I fit a 200x front end on it? if so does anyone have one for sale in the eastern south Dakota area? I need to get riding again!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200809_201546.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	263964
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200809_222420_018.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	411.8 KB 
ID:	263965

Indeed, you did
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Before you go putting $ into a front end take the tank off. Check the back bone of the frame with a straight edge first good chance it bent or twisted along with the forks. If that’s the case, you can look to upgrade with a similar machine. Sell off all the good stuff for money towards a different unit.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Z 250 View Post
    Before you go putting $ into a front end take the tank off. Check the back bone of the frame with a straight edge first good chance it bent or twisted along with the forks. If that’s the case, you can look to upgrade with a similar machine. Sell off all the good stuff for money towards a different unit.
    I checked that. it is ok, not sure how it survived, but it did. However, the steering neck bearings have more play than they did before, so I need to take the triplle off and do some more inspecting.

--
    I have never heard of a front axle snapping like that on 2 or 3 wheelers. I always check front axles to be tight and make sure there are no cracks.
    Thats some scary stuff and it would be hard for me to trust riding again. Always think about something going wrong the first time I lay into the throttle.
    Put my front lugs on backwards one time and lucky I saw them getting loose, but that was my fault.

Sorry it happened to you, hope you feel better.

--
    It's definitely a uncommon failure. I wouldn't worry about a repeat though.

Along the same lines, the BMW 650GS fork failures seem to be a little more common, where the axle mount rips out of the fork slider. It's enough that many do a fork swap to something else, like Yamaha forks. There have been some of those that had swingarm failures too.

Not much of that going on with Big Reds.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    believe it or not, I had an axle break before. same machine too. however, that time I just clicked it into reverse and it snapped, albeit in a different spot.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //