//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I got lucky....

--
    Just to dig into your failures a bit more... since you've had two, I wonder if you are doing something that is prompting this. I've never read about a front axle failure on this forum, and I've been reading for a long time. That's not to say that they don't happen, but seem very rare.

When you put the axles in, how are you torquing these down? Are you running the spacer between the two front wheel bearings? Are you running stock front axle, or are these homemade or from another machine? Have you ever used heat to get these axles loosened/removed? Just trying to dig a bit into your situation to hopefully help prevent a third occurrence.

Like the others have said, it is very good to hear that you are ok. I managed to go head on with my buddy on a dirt bike when I was just a kid on my 200ES big red. I did the superman thing too. We were riding on a dirt road, but it was curved and I managed to land in a nice soft grassy area to the side of the road. Got up and did the survey like you described and was very happily surprised to not even have a scratch on me. The aches and pains the next day were a different story though...

Make sure your helmet innards (foam core) haven't separated from the outer shell from the impact. If so, may be time for a new helmet.
    - Frank

1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1986 350X
    1986 250SX
    1984 Auto-X
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70

--
    I would say factory defect , I’ve been a mechanic for over 30 years and never seen one break , pulled plenty apart that were bent into a smiley face lol .
    Glad your ok .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    my helmet does need to be replaced...

I run all stock spacers, just a narrow front tire. Stock hub and brake assembly too. I have had to install the axle once, when I put this one in. Before I had to change the axle when the original one broke, I had never had it apart, still had the original front tire. I tightened it into the left fork until it was snug, and then a hair more. I'm always afraid of the threads getting stripped out . Never had to heat one of these axles and they are factory parts.

I might be lucky to have not been seriously injured, but luck know with parts i guess.

I have worked on many big reds, and never have i had this issue with another, let alone twice!
    Currently : trx400fw, ct70, 250es,200x, xl80s, 350x, 350x, 225DX, trx300

--
    Hey Dave. I just watched a good You Tube video on the 350X front end swap onto a 250ES. The channel is called Intergalactic. He doesn't really show how it's done, but he explains some of what he did and why. I recommend watching this video if you're interested in doing this swap yourself.

--
    2 broken axles screams ‘problem’, would hate to see you get to three strikes and be out.

Before putting it back together it take some precautionary steps...

- make sure the forks are the same length
    - make sure both forks feel the same going through the stroke and have no binding spots
    - make sure your fork oil levers are the same
    - make sure your triple trees are perfectly straight
    - measure the distance from a predetermined point between the two forks without the axle installed and again after it’s installed. Should be the same.
    - check that the wheel bearings are perfect

You said the steering head bearings feels loose? I’d look close at that. Bearings are a lot tougher than frame material, it might not be round anymore.

Be safe!

--
    Not that it has anything to do with the situation here, but after tightening the axle, and before tightening the axle clamp, the forks are supposed to be bounced a few times so the side with the clamp settles on the axle properly.

This is to prevent the forks from being pinched in by the action of tightening the axle, because the leg with the clamp has nothing to prevent it moving toward the hub. The hub spacer is placed by the axle, not between the hub and fork leg, like on designs where the axle passes through both legs with a nut on one end. On these, the axle basically floats, in the fork leg with the clamp.

It's the same basic design as Honda uses on some of their motorcycles too. Says to do as much in the manual for those.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    to do the sport trike triple swap properly there is a write up on it by olDeuce, he used to sell the adapters used and I made them for him. Lord rest his soul, he is no longer with us but I can still make the adapters and sell them as I have the blueprints let me know if you are interested
    rectum nothin damn near killed them
    feel free to leave feed back for me here. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...06#post1119306

--
    Muthey, just for a future project, how much are you selling the adapters for?

--
    As of now, it will be a while until the big red is fixed. College has made sure of that, between not being at home and not having any money...my tools are $8000!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Homeless Dave View Post
    ...my tools are $8000!
    That's nothing if you have a Snap-On account. They'll let you pay on it for 50 years if you keep buying more.

You could just buy one tool, a Zeus, and spend more than that.
    Last edited by ATC King; 08-18-2020 at 11:26 PM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    That's nothing if you have a Snap-On account. They'll let you pay on it for 50 years if you keep buying more.

You could just buy one tool, a Zeus, and spend more than that.
    Ironically, my tools are snap on! Custom Paint and fabrication is my program. believe it or not, my tools cost more than my entire first year's tuition. thankfully it is only a 2 year program!

--
    A Snap-On tool rep at an automotive trade school is like a military recruiter in a poor neighborhood.

Arky-X is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    A Snap-On tool rep at an automotive trade school is like a military recruiter in a poor neighborhood.

--
    I laughed so hard at this...Worst part of what you said is, its true!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //