//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Flake or Fake Bidding?

--

Flake or Fake Bidding?

There have been several 'sold' trikes on EBay recently, that have been relisted.

The one thing they seem to have in common is a winning bid that is higher than normal. Are they really selling for this much or are they shill bids?

The current one is a '84 Big Red. It supposedly sold for $4k last go, but it's on there again, now with $3,999 OBO.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-HONDA-...kAAOSwA2pfLKCC

Are these really selling at 350X, 250R and 200X prices, or is something damaging to the trike community going on? Flaking or fake bidders?
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    I've been watching the same thing.

I always assume it's a NPB, but it's odd that often the 2nd auctions price ends up higher than the first.
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Exactly. The first go, they have a starting bid much lower, and either no reserve or the reserve is eventually met. The next round, the prices, or starting bid is much higher.

I didn't know if maybe some of these belong to members here and they could confirm a NPB, but the other thing is why not sell to the next highest bidder? I haven't messed with that on EBay, I presume it still works that way.

I have observed this on multiple auctions, not just the one I posted. For a '84 Big Red, the highest produced trike Honda ever made, and with the worst forks they ever made, it would only be an investment for a pristine original or immaculate OE restoration.

The one linked is not either. It has some hours on it, bent parts, missing parts, dry rotted tires, the wrong style key, and just a bunch of nit picking stuff. Not that it's bad, it's a really nice example, but not what I'd call $4,000 nice.

If they are selling for that, then a 350X or later model 250R should be double that in a similar condition. That isn't really reflected in the market right now, so it seems suspicious.

Arky-X is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    NPB?

Six more characters........I get an error when I post anything less than 10 characters......

--
    Non Paying Bidder

Typically they are the ones who make an account which seems to solely be to jack with peoples listings. Usually the ones with no
    prior transactions or feedback and trying to bid on high value items. Their the reason some people listing an item, explicitly state they'll remove any new/no feedback bidders.

In the past, it was possible to offer it to the next highest bidder if the winning bidder didn't pay. I haven't had to deal with that in a while, so I don't know if it's still that way.

Some of these trike listings change after the supposedly selling the first time, and that's suspicious. I haven't seen any in my watch list marked as 'relisted' either, as typically happens. It seems the seller is just making a whole new listing.

There have been what I'd call, low value trikes, selling for high prices. Been some real junk on EBay too, with a premium starting bid or buy it now price. Since a lot of people base their asking price on EBay, and if these listings are driven by shill bids, it's going to cause people to price their trikes above actual market value, which will stagnate the market. This can also lead to more people parting out trikes they can't sell for their hyped asking price.

I've walked away from several trikes because the owner 'knew what they were worth' and wouldn't budge on the price. If I see one for sale on Craigslist and it's already very overpriced, I don't even consider it. Not worth driving any distance for an overpriced rider the seller won't sell for a reasonable price.

--
    I've noticed some NOS parts, especially engines, that gets listed several times. I've searched under "sold" and seen some outrageous prices and the same item shows up listed again. I don't remember if it was relisted or a new listing but definitely the same item that was supposedly sold.

It has gotten to the point where I just look the other way at that crap because as you note, just doesn't seem real. I ain't buying a NOS 250R or 350X engine off of eBay.....not at $3000 anyways.
    The only way I've scored off there recently is when someone lists something wrong or they don't know what they have with a low BIN price and I guess I'm one of the first to see it.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Arky-X View Post
    The only way I've scored off there recently is when someone lists something wrong or they don't know what they have.
    That happens a lot. People who aren't familiar with trikes and being trikes are old as dirt(anyone older than that is old as rocks ), all kinds parts from different years and models could be on a trike.

Not picking on Kaplan Cycles, they do a good job of bringing some nice vintage rides to auction, but they just had a YTM200 listed on EBay and said in the video it had a rear drum brake...nope. People moving a lot of merch often neglect to do their research. He also mentioned how smooth it felt, but could've helped the auction by mentioning the engine is counterbalanced.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    He also mentioned how smooth it felt, but could've helped the auction by mentioning the engine is counterbalanced.
    How "smooth it felt"
    That's sales talk. It's like going to the car lot and the salesperson tells you it's a "real nice dependable car" and then goes to show you all the bluetooth, iPhone synching crap.
    Of course, I think that's what most people care about. And then we get to compete with these uninformed buyers.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Arky-X View Post
    NPB?

Six more characters........I get an error when I post anything less than 10 characters......
    Always wondered how some people can just post a photo, or less than 10 characters

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    Always wondered how some people can just post a photo, or less than 10 characters
    You too?
    I assume they had some super-user privileges I didn't have.

--
    A 200ES just sold for over $3K. Really?

Actually $3,700 and listed as "RARE."
    Last edited by ATC King; 08-31-2020 at 11:59 AM.

--
    Trikes are going for crazy prices lately... This year especially! There was an 84 200ES for sale about two hours from me on FB Marketplace, he had it listed for $1800 and it was really quite nice. I messaged the guy, kindly asking a few questions and if he would take an offer, he replied about an hour later saying it was sold and the buyer walked up paid him $1800 cash and left with it. I had a guy see me at the gas station on my 200ES last week, keep begging me to sell it, no chance in heck its my baby and ain't going nowhere, dude was creepy and followed me a few blocks, i took the long way home and a lot of extra turns. He was begging me to sell it, offered as much as $2000 cash. I don't know whats going on lately, i guess they are kinda vintage cool now, cause it seems like they sell as fast as they are listed online and they are going for ridiculous prices. Trikes i would pay $200 for due to rough condition are going for $600-800 now. And if its runs its $1k even if the fenders are gone and it looks like its been thrashed to death. 250's are like gold here in the Midwest, followed by 200's and 185's, the smaller horizontal engines, 90,110,125 can still be had for next to nothing because nobody seems to want them. I can buy 110's by the dozen if i really wanted to, seems like they are the only ones commonly available around me now. If its a 185 or larger your gonna need some cash to get it.

As for over $3k on eBay.. I have been seeing the listings and i don't doubt it. These are the age now that the guys that are older with money and want to re-experience some of their youth are buying them and money is no object. I remember a few years ago here that older dirt bikes went through the same vintage buying craze. Its like guys and classic cars they had when they were in high school, they are now older (myself included) and want a slice of the old days.

As for the questions about eBay, eBay motors works different now. If the top bidder turns into a NPB you have to file a claim, get eBay to find in your favor so they refund the final value fees that were charged based on the ending sale price, and then once thats all cleared up you can relist it and try again. The old second offer stuff is going the way of the dodo... I think some categories still have it, but eBay motors got a huge revamp last year and then sellers that were pushed into the new eBay Managed Payments platform have even more restrictions then other sellers. I just went through the Managed Payments changeover in July on my account, it was a rocky first month editing listings to comply with the new requirements and policies.

Some of the eBay listings i have no doubt are people just bidding stupidly, and possibly ending up a NPB with buyers remorse. But looking at some of the ones that sold for crazy money lately the top bidders were mostly older accounts with feedback on them, a recent 250ES that sold had a top bidder thats a 10+ year eBay veteran and paid over $5k for it... It never relisted, that sold back in July i think it was, and the seller had feedback for the sale. So some of them truly are going for those prices.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1984 Honda ATC200ES "Big Red"
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"
    1988 TRX300FW "Project Quad" Still in progress....

--
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0nly View Post
    Its like guys and classic cars they had when they were in high school, they are now older (myself included) and want a slice of the old days.

Good thing my youth mobile was a Caprice Classic.

--
    Y'all gonna shoot me for saying this but.................It's tempting to just sell it all and go buy a 400EX or 300EX for $2k and ride the dog snot out of it.
    I've got all my 350X parts cleaned and ready to be powdercoated but good gosh the prices these parts fetch!

--
    I've been looking a used quad prices too. For what trikes are selling at, a decades newer quad can be bought.

I'm not a quad guy though. Would probably buy a used 200cc-250cc dual sport.

Honda US did just start selling their new CT110 style bike. It's a 125 though and they call it the Trail 125. Less than $4K, brand spanking new.
    https://powersports.honda.com/off-ro.../trail-125-abs

Disk brakes on both ends, fuel injected, electric and kick start, LED lighting, and STREET LEGAL. Just a four speed though, and not dual range (bummer). Pretty sure it's going to hurt the prices on all those old CT110s and CT90s. No way I'd buy the old ones with this available.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //