//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 1985 Honda Atc 200m

--
    I went ahead and ordered the caltric carb off eBay. Was it just a pull outta the box and slap on or did anything need adjusted?

I’m going to look at rear shoes right now. eBay has them for 15 so unless bike bandit or Rocky Mountain are cheaper I’ll probably just order those off eBay as well.

Also I think the clutches may have slipped a little bit so I’m considering ordering a clutch kit for it as well but I want it to run right to really see how they are before I do order them.

Might be figuring out the exhaust this weekend. I’m trying to remember if I still have my stock z400 exhaust at my parents. I think it’s about the right length and bend. Pipe might be a little large but if I still have it and I can another piece of pipe to make that work.

I just have a hard time swallowing $200 for a muffler/mid pipe lol

--
    Try adjusting the clutch if you haven't already. Ride it a while with some fresh oil too. Clutches can get some funk on them if they've sat for a while, and sometimes just riding it will set them right.

$200 isn't bad at all for those utility mufflers, considering they're more complex than something like a glasspacked DG or Cobra. They also don't require ever repacking, and have a spark arrestor, all for less than a DG. The DG is the entire system though, with a larger head pipe, which isn't necessarily beneficial on a stock engine. The stock head pipe is dual layered, which keeps it from radiating as much heat as a thin, single walled, aftermarket pipe, and it's quieter.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Does it have the same style adjustment like the big red 250 on the side? I never really paid attention to notice if it was the same or not.

That’s next on the list is an oil change.

BarnBoy is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteZer0 View Post
    Does it have the same style adjustment like the big red 250 on the side? I never really paid attention to notice if it was the same or not.

That’s next on the list is an oil change.
    You need to get yourself a manual. Follow the link. I think its similar to the BR but idk for sure.

I have a 200x supertrapp ill be fitting on my 200M, hopefully soon. Will post pics...its gonna require some modification.

Oil...a lot of guys like Rotella t4 15-40. But most atv oils should be fine AS LONG AS they are compatible with a wet clutch. I believe its the JASCO MA rating is what you want. Also, Rotella contains higher zinc levels than other oils which is a good thing
    1984 HONDA ATC200M - OG, mid-restoration
    1981 HONDA ATC200 - future build
    1981 HONDA ATC185S - parts
    1984 ATC200X - roller, future build
    1984 Honda ATC250r - in a million pieces- ISO grab bar, PM if you have one

Da velder

--
    Quote Originally Posted by BarnBoy View Post

I have a 200x supertrapp ill be fitting on my 200M, hopefully soon. Will post pics...its gonna require some modification.
    I like Supertrapp. They'll soot the fender up is not using a deflector disc though.

Quote Originally Posted by BarnBoy View Post
    Oil...a lot of guys like Rotella t4 15-40. But most atv oils should be fine AS LONG AS they are compatible with a wet clutch. I believe its the JASCO MA rating is what you want. Also, Rotella contains higher zinc levels than other oils which is a good thing
    I use Rotella, but it's not because it's my favorite thing to use. It's cheap, available just about everywhere, and my trikes burn oil. I haven't had any clutch problems with it and it seems to work just fine. All automotive oils are using less zinc now, because most modern valvetrains use rollers, OHV and OHC engines.

--
    So as far as adjusting the clutches to see if it makes them better.

I read on another post here somewhere about loosening the lock nut then turning the screw counterclockwise until you feel resistance then turn it back an 1/8 of an inch to set them.

Does that sound right?

--
    You need to get a manual. Not an Emanuel, he won't do it for you.

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

Those are no cost.

--
    So I got the caltric carb. Had to swap the top hat and figured I may as well swap the needle assembly.

Fired right up, still has a slight sputter when trying to slow speed putt but comes out of it easily and isn’t as violet as before.

I need to get a new spark plug as they could be part of the sputtering as well since it’s hard to tell when it was changed last.

The plug that is in it is black as all get out.

I do have one question I can’t figure out. Where is the CDI box supposed to sit? Right now it’s just kind of resting between the head and coil. Can’t really find any pictures showing where it’s supposed to be.

I’m going to try a find a good spot to try and zip tie it out of the way this weekend.

I also found out I do have front brakes, just need to get a new cable as it’s super stiff. Probably the same for the rear as the rear I figured out work but the pedal is almost dragging the ground by the time.

May try to button up the exhaust a little more as well. Leaks galore but way quieter than before. I think the biggest part is the piece I used to slip over the header.

It’s off the 200x muffler but a little bigger than it needs to be. Plus it hard trying to weld it since too much heat causes a hole which I ran into a couple times.

Probably go lowest heat setting I can go and mess with the speed. I’m using an older industrial Hobart 120 which is heavy as hell to begin with and .035 wire which may not be the right flux core wire for something like that but it’s what I have.

--
    I haven't seen a 200M in person, but from my experience, there's usually a rubber "holder" around the CDI. That goes over a bracket on the frame over the top of the engine. Those rubber pieces like to rot away after 30+ years. I've zip tied the CDI to the frame and it worked just fine.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    I haven't seen a 200M in person, but from my experience, there's usually a rubber "holder" around the CDI. That goes over a bracket on the frame over the top of the engine. Those rubber pieces like to rot away after 30+ years. I've zip tied the CDI to the frame and it worked just fine.
    I think I found where it’s supposed to go but like you said, the rubber probably disappeared a while ago. May just drill a hole in place and zip tie it there.

I just finished changing the oil and cleaning the screen, wasn’t too bad. Going to see if the levers off the klt 110 I have will fit this one as I think I’m just gonna let it go to a friend of mine to mess with.

--
    Yes, always change the top hat, gasket, spring and slide when swapping carbs, there can be minuscule differences and make it run poorly.
    There is a frame tang or metal flag the cdi has a rubber sleeve and it has a slot for the flag/tang to pass through and hold the cdi in place.
    The little bit of sputter may go away with some run time or or may mean you need a valve job. Either way, I'm glad it's running better for you. The 200m is a great bike.

MrC
    mrc_builds on YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmw...confirmation=1

My Addiction
    85 200m "Tallahassee"
    84 200x "SouthPort"
    84 200x "Van Halen"
    84 250r "lucky"
    85 250sx "Enterprise"
    85 350x "The Money Pit"
    85 350x Code Red
    86 250r "Unicorn"
    86 trx250r
    88 Lt250r Suzuki

mrc_builds saves trikes like Jimmy Swaggart saved souls back in the day -said Patriot1

--
    BTW, that rubber CDI sleeve is still available new from various OEM distributors.

Da velder

--
    So I’ve been riding it around a bit more, my oldest has putter around with it in the yard.

It never fails to fire right up wether it’s one pull from the pull start or hitting the electric start. The sputtering is still there but not terribly bad. I still need to get a new spark plug for it.

I’m thinking it may need new clutches as I’ve tried to adjust it to get some of the slip out of it but doesn’t seem to make it worse or better.

--
    Clutch isnt too bad to do. Be a good idea to clean the centrifugal oil filter also. Get a manual, it'll walk you through step by step.

Da velder

--
    On the 200's you will need a side cover gasket and a centrifugal oil filter gasket, as well as a clutch nut socket. All easily available though, Dr ATV has them, so does eBay. I bet nobody has been in there to clean it in a long long time. I have had the centrifugal oil filter come out with so much crud packed in there that you think its round inside, but its got three bumps where the bolts go through. You will see what i mean when you take it apart, it will gather a LOT of crud if nobody has done it! Get a couple cans of brake cleaner unless you got a parts washer, clean the inside of the side cover and the centrifugal oil filter before putting it back together.

To make it a bit easier tip it on its side, lay it over on its left side, i just use a milk crate with a block of wood and some rags to prop up the front end so it lays flat on the left side rear tire. Then when you take the right cover off you won't have to deal with parts falling out, aka the clutch lifter and lifter cam. And it makes it a lot easier to get back together. There is two clutches, the centrifugal clutch and the manual clutch. If when you put it in first and you tap the throttle it engages and you can make it hop with each throttle stab then your centrifugal clutch is working, its probably the actual clutch discs that are worn. But you have to remove the centrifugal clutch before you can get the other clutch out. The centrifugal clutch takes a 30mm socket to get the nut off, and its LEFT HAND threads, so clockwise to loosen. If you don't have an impact it can be a battle to remove, with an impact i can usually zip them off no problem, but a breaker bar and a lot of grunting will get it done! LOL
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1984 Honda ATC200ES "Big Red"
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"
    1988 TRX300FW "Project Quad" Still in progress....

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //