//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Metal in oil

--

Metal in oil

Hello I'm new to the forum i recently purchased a 1982 Honda atc200E. I decided to change the oil before doing to much ridding. After i was finished and was moving the oil drain pan i noticed in the pan was a small steel ring i thought at first it was c shaped but then i found another piece of it that would have made it a full circle roughly the diameter of a dime and pretty thin. Anyone have any ideas what it could be I'm not very tech savvy and can't figure out how to add a picture. Any help would be appreciated.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamA View Post
    Hello I'm new to the forum i recently purchased a 1982 Honda atc200E. I decided to change the oil before doing to much ridding. After i was finished and was moving the oil drain pan i noticed in the pan was a small steel ring i thought at first it was c shaped but then i found another piece of it that would have made it a full circle roughly the diameter of a dime and pretty thin. Anyone have any ideas what it could be I'm not very tech savvy and can't figure out how to add a picture. Any help would be appreciated.
    Could be part of a thread that came out when you unscrewed your oil bolt.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    At first i thought the same thing but the piece i found was a little over half the diameter of the oil drain plug

--
    Should be a spring behind the drain bolt, holding the oil screen in place. Sounds like it could be a piece of the spring.

--
    If i remember right i think that spring is made of round steel the ring i found is flat and pretty thin i might have to pull the drain plug back out and check that spring

jasong_10 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Could it be a crush washer/gasket for the drain plug?
    Jason

85 ATC 250R - restored stock other than 18" rears, nerf bars, Honda key switch, 14T front sprocket, and white tank and plastics (except rad shrouds)

87 ATC 200X - restored stock other than 18" rears and nerf bars

84 TRX 200 - rough but complete budget restore for wife and eventually daughters to bum around on

Eton Viper 50cc - oldest daughter's current ride

--
    I don't think the plug had a crush washer but if so the ring i found is much smaller than the drain plug.

--
    Just like finding tools lost inside of crevasses on old cars, and change under the rear seats (or a Krewe of Satan medallion, true story, was riding with the devil, for years, and didn't even know it) there's no damn telling what you'll find tearing into one of these for the first time.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...g-Turd-Nuggets

If that's all you found and it doesn't seem to be affecting anything, you're good to go.

You can always pop the clutch cover off and dig around in the centrifugal oil filter. It probably needs it anyway.
    Last edited by ATC King; 08-30-2020 at 09:29 PM.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Thanks i was kinda thinking the same thing if it ain't broke don't fix it right. I think I'm gonna have to tear it down and put rings in it so maybe I'll see where it came from.

--
    Ponder this...it may have come from nowhere.

Nowhere inside the engine. It's possible, someone changed the oil, seen that in the funky oil pan they used, and thought it's supposed to be in there, and just stuffed it in.

That's exactly the reason I clean my oil drain pans after every use. An oil change is also a diagnostic opportunity. If the pan is full of crap already, that opportunity is gone. My drain pans are put away clean and ready, just like every tool I use.

It's kind of along the lines of me smelling oil, antifreeze, gear oil, gasoline at a traffic light and starting to freak out a little that it's coming from my vehicle. Nope, it's the oblivious dufus with the pile of crap next to me, who'll actually drive the wheels off of something instead of bothering to do basic maintenance.

--
    No way i always clean up before and after working on anything my dad instilled that in me all growing up. I did the oil change in my garage with my tools. I made sure to clean the drain pan before i used it wiped it down and all. I don't mind dirty tools but only while I'm using them.

--
    Oh yeah, I didn't mean you. No telling how many beers have been drank by previous owners doing some late night wrenching.

I'm pretty sure some people have even used the beer carton to make gaskets, but I'm not going to pick on that one too hard. I'm pretty sure some of those will read this, and then the argument about which brand beer has the best carton for making gaskets will start.

--
    Agreed honestly i even wondered if maybe it never passed through the engine. When i changed the oil i tipped it sideways to ensure all the oil came out plugged it put in a sacrificial quart of oil drained and tipped it sideways again. So it's possible that it was laying somewhere on the trike and just fell into the drain pan. The world may never know but i thought maybe someone may have more insight than me i wanna be able to preserve this machine they are getting hard to find in good shape and this one visually is tits. I just put a new carb on it and i think after a fresh set of rings it will be good for many years.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamA View Post
    Agreed honestly i even wondered if maybe it never passed through the engine. When i changed the oil i tipped it sideways to ensure all the oil came out plugged it put in a sacrificial quart of oil drained and tipped it sideways again. So it's possible that it was laying somewhere on the trike and just fell into the drain pan. The world may never know but i thought maybe someone may have more insight than me i wanna be able to preserve this machine they are getting hard to find in good shape and this one visually is tits. I just put a new carb on it and i think after a fresh set of rings it will be good for many years.
    The wrist pin clips holding the wrist pin in the piston are round metal rings and the size of a dime. If they pop out, they can slip down past the piston skirt and down into the crankcase, getting easily chewed in half.

It's common to accidentally drop one of them down into the crankcase when trying to remove a piston from the rod when doing topend rebuilds. I like to stuff a shop rag in the crankcase rod opening or duct tape off the crank/rod areas to keep this from happening. Sometimes people don't get the clip seated into it's groove in the piston and it pops out and then badly gouges your cylinder walls with the wrist pin when it migrates sideways because the retainer clip is missing
    Last edited by ironchop; 09-09-2020 at 04:23 PM.

--
    Man a friend of mine from work suggested the same thing. So i looked up rebuild kits and it looked like the wrist pin clips were c shaped. What i found was 2 pieces one large piece that was more c shaped but had an obvious broken end and one smooth end. The other piece was small with a broken end that matches the other piece perfectly and one smooth end. Put together it makes a complete ring with the two smooth ends touching perfectly. I could totally see it being a clip of some kind. Do you know if the wrist pin clips are all c shaped? Or if possibly some are like a split ring?

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //