//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Yamaha 225DX: Addressing some issues...

--

Yamaha 225DX: Addressing some issues...

I've owned my 1984 Yamaha 225DX for a couple of months now, and it's a blast to ride! Definitely caught "the bug" as this is my first three wheeler. Now that I have had a couple of months to ride it, it's time to get a few issues addressed.

Main issue is that the engine seems to cut out on the upper half of the throttle. Seems to sputter like it's not getting fuel. It also cuts out if I turn the bars to the left. Weird. I know some basics, but I'm not a highly skilled mechanic by any means. I drained the fuel tank and ran some Sea Foam through the engine. Here are a few observations: Carb has been replaced. I think the fuel line is too low; it runs close to the cylinder and the line seems too short. I pulled the plug and it seemed a little wet and somewhat fouled. I'm not sure what the plug on the back half of the left side on the top of the crank case is, but there seems to have an attempt made to put some sort of sealer over top of it.

Working on getting a few things replaced. I ordered a new petcock, spark plug, and air filter. The air filter was basically crumbling probably from being exposed from fuel - assuming the original carb as not functioning properly.

Any advice or thoughts are much appreciated!

--
    Also, there is an inline fuel filter in the fuel line going from the tank to the carb. That filter sits right beside the cylinder. Images I'm looking at don't seem to have that.

--
    Trikes are a blast for sure. From what I can remember with the two 225s that I used to own, the fuel line does run pretty close to the cylinder. From the factory, there was a metal "coil" (for lack of a better term) around it. I guess that it was supposed to keep the line from rubbing on the cylinder. Maybe it also acts like somewhat of a heat shield, but I kind of doubt it. When I replaced the fuel line, I did put it back on the new line. The new, probably Chinese, carb may be the whole running issue. The quality isn't always the best. A lot of times the jetting is off. Some people say that they switch jets from the OEM carb to the aftermarket one. Others say that they swap all of the internals over to the new carb in order to get it to run right. I prefer the OEM ones, but if you want to stick with this one, you may be in for some jetting experience.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    Trikes are a blast for sure. From what I can remember with the two 225s that I used to own, the fuel line does run pretty close to the cylinder. From the factory, there was a metal "coil" (for lack of a better term) around it. I guess that it was supposed to keep the line from rubbing on the cylinder. Maybe it also acts like somewhat of a heat shield, but I kind of doubt it. When I replaced the fuel line, I did put it back on the new line. The new, probably Chinese, carb may be the whole running issue. The quality isn't always the best. A lot of times the jetting is off. Some people say that they switch jets from the OEM carb to the aftermarket one. Others say that they swap all of the internals over to the new carb in order to get it to run right. I prefer the OEM ones, but if you want to stick with this one, you may be in for some jetting experience.
    Was there a fuel filter on the line when you replaced yours?

--
    The only fuel filter you need is the one on the petcock.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Petcoc...2dee9958d64ab9

There is no need for an additional, external filter. That could even restrict fuel flow. The important thing is to fill from a clean can, not some junky can like people let sit around without a lid, or put whatever type of fuel they need at the time.

A really good thing to use is a fuel filler filter. Get that large stuff out before it even gets into the tank. They come in different sizes. If one won't fit under the 225DX cap, there is always funnels that have filter screens.

This one is for Honda generators.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l400.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	6.2 KB 
ID:	264138
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/In-Tank-Fue...AAAOSwNFVZiQ85

If you don't filter the fuel before pouring it in, there will always be junk accumulate in the tank, which is why I occasionally remove mine, to flush them out.
    Last edited by ATC King; 08-27-2020 at 12:42 PM.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    My 225s did not have an external filter. If it would have, I would have removed it. I agree with ATC King here. I tried to run them on my 350X when I first got it. After having two of the distort from the engine heat and restrict fuel flow, I vowed to NEVER run one again. One was so bad that it would either run out of gas after a couple of minutes or run at barely above an idle. True, a 225 probably doesn't normally put out as much heat as a 350X does, but they can still get plenty hot.

--
    Regarding the “cutting out when turning the bars to the left”, remove your rear fenders, put your hand on the choke and throttle cables and see if they’re moving in or out of their respective seats. You may have the cables incorrectly routed, or improperly adjusted or secured. They shouldn’t move at the carb.

As far as cutting out at mid throttle you might be able to cure that by raising the needle one notch (lowering the C clip raises the needle). If it gets worse go the other way. Make sure you get that funny looking clip inside the slide back in the right way and if there’s a little Teflon washer under the C clip make sure you put it back in.

--
    Thanks for all the great info and advice! To start, I’m going to replace petcock and proceed with a new fuel line and fuel filter delete. If that doesn’t work, I’ll go on a carb adventure but hoping to avoid that.

--
    Well, I got the air filter assembly all replaced, new battery, changed the petcock, replaced the fuel line, and changed the spark plug. Still getting hesitation in the throttle towards the upper end. I tried adjusting the needle - I tried every setting but that didn't do the trick. I'm thinking my issue is the main jet. Carb is aftermarket but I do have the original. Was going to see if I could remove the main jet from the original carb and put it into the aftermarket carb. We'll see what happens.
    3 Wheels:
    1982 Honda ATC 185s
    1983 Honda ATC 250R
    1984 Yamaha 225DX
    1985 Honda 250SX
    1986 Honda Big Red 250ES

4 Wheels:
    1986 Suzuki LT50
    1987 Honda TRX 250 Fourtrax
    2023 Honda Foreman

--
    ^ It worked!! Swapped the main jet from the original carb into the aftermarket carb that was on my DX. Made sure the jet was perfectly clean and that the rest of the carb was clean. No more sputter! Satisfying to get this sorted out. It runs perfect now.
    3 Wheels:
    1982 Honda ATC 185s
    1983 Honda ATC 250R
    1984 Yamaha 225DX
    1985 Honda 250SX
    1986 Honda Big Red 250ES

4 Wheels:
    1986 Suzuki LT50
    1987 Honda TRX 250 Fourtrax
    2023 Honda Foreman

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //