//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 1984 Honda Big Red 200es!

--

1984 Honda Big Red 200es!

Hello,
    I just picked up a 1984 Honda 200es Big Red. It starts and runs, but the posi trans lever is stuck in low gear. I get the trike in neutral and can not get the lever to move into reverse or high gear. I have tried depressing the brakes and pulling the lever but nothing. Is this a common problem people have? I would love for it to be something that I am doing wrong as that is the easiest fix. Let me know what you all think it could be or if you need some more info from me! Thanks for your time.
    -Marty

--
    You've got to pull up on the knob, then move it, if you're not already doing that.

Not being able to move the range/reverse selector is not a common problem.

The 200ES was a one year only trike. Mentioning the year doesn't matter too much on this site if you're looking for answers from people with knowledge about these. If you had just said, Big Red, then you would have to mention the year. The 200ES was also the most produced ATC.

Welcome.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

jasong_10 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Not sure if it's a similar setup to my 84 trx 200, but mine sometimes gives me trouble switching beteween high, low, and reverse. I've had good luck shifting into first gear while messing with the lever and it usually clicks in. And +1 on pulling up on the lever (if you're not already doing it).
    Jason

85 ATC 250R - restored stock other than 18" rears, nerf bars, Honda key switch, 14T front sprocket, and white tank and plastics (except rad shrouds)

87 ATC 200X - restored stock other than 18" rears and nerf bars

84 TRX 200 - rough but complete budget restore for wife and eventually daughters to bum around on

Eton Viper 50cc - oldest daughter's current ride

--
    Just an update. I actually just started taking things apart. Man was this dirty inside. I cleaned everything up and re-lubbed everything thing and it is working. Not really sure what the exact issue was but it works and that it all that matters. Thanks for everyone who replyed!

jasong_10 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Glad you got it working.
    Jason

85 ATC 250R - restored stock other than 18" rears, nerf bars, Honda key switch, 14T front sprocket, and white tank and plastics (except rad shrouds)

87 ATC 200X - restored stock other than 18" rears and nerf bars

84 TRX 200 - rough but complete budget restore for wife and eventually daughters to bum around on

Eton Viper 50cc - oldest daughter's current ride

--
    Sounds like you already got it fixed, but just a tip, every 200ES that i have owned or ridden including the one i still own, doesn't like to shift between high and low and reverse while in neutral. Put the trans in first gear, hold the rear brake, and then shift the sub trans to either range or reverse. Just seems to be the nature of them.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1984 Honda ATC200ES "Big Red"
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"
    1988 TRX300FW "Project Quad" Still in progress....

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //