//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 200x hard starting issues

--

200x hard starting issues

I have a 85 200x, it takes many good kicks and the removal of the plug + some starting fluid and another few kicks to get it to putter, then a few more kicks to get it started with choke and throttle adjustments.

We tore the entire engine apart about 8 years ago when we had transmission issues. New bearings, seals, rings, cam chain, tensioners and more i'm probably forgetting.

The carb has been fully cleaned, new plug, fresh non ethanol gas

This was my dads trike and my father loves riding this one more than any other but he has a hard time starting it because it takes so many kicks.
    I looked into the electric Goki kits but i'm not willing to pay 800+ for a kit with such bad reliability and user ratings.

Can you give me any advice on making this 200x start easier?

I was thinking a decompression head & cam?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	85atc200x.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	264208  

--
    Check the air filter to make sure that it's clean and properly oiled. Check the valve clearances. Those are the two that I'd start with.

--
    Should be a one-kick or two kick bike most of the time. Especially if it's totally rebuilt.

1)Has it been hard to start ever since you totally rebuilt it?

2) did you adjust the timing chain tensioner? Did you do a ompression test yet?

3) what 350 said above about the valve adjustment. Did you check for proper valve lash?

4) when you timed the engine on initial rebuild, there are two different marks on the flywheel. T mark is for the cam to crank location and the F mark before the T mark, is where you set the CDI pickup inline with the cam rotor. Line up the flywheel to the F mark thru the cover hole, then pull the CDI cover off and make sure the lines on the pickup and the rotor are aligned. If these aren't aligned, it will be hard to start. I've noticed a couple times rebuilding the 185/200 engines that when you put all new timing stuff in them, sometimes the cdi pickup and cam rotor are out of alignment. This causes really hard start cold but gets a little easier to start when warm. I found out the hard way after a topend rebuild, that things don't automatically line up in the CDI pickup and rotor area

5) while you got the CDI cover off, also check to see if the springs on the rotor for the spark advancer are still attached. Sometimes they come off and cause trouble.

I've had four of these machines and they are easy to start if setup correctly.

Let us know how it turns out.
    Last edited by ironchop; 09-09-2020 at 08:08 PM.

--
    I’ve had issues with valves myself.
    Time it correctly
    Adjust valves with piston at TDC on compression stroke
    Verify you have compression

Spark, fuel and air

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //