//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 85 250R with inverted forks and +4 or +6 swingarm?

--

85 250R with inverted forks and +4 or +6 swingarm?

I am fixing to start a 85 250R build and I am trying to decide between a +4 swingarm and a +6 swingarm and I would also be interested in the inverted forks for the KTM 85sx. I know i have some searching to do but was curious if anyone has experience with the exact setup and what they would change or do different?

--
    "Red Rider" had a nice web page with details on what he went through on his 250r inverts. It's not as cut and dry putting inverts on a 250r as it is on other trikes because of the way the stock triples are designed with some of the rake built into them. You need to get the "offset" location right or the "trail" number will be off and it will have an effect on the way the trike handles. He seems to have spent a good amount of time getting the right numbers (after a few tries) and seems willing to share the info.

To me, a plus 6" swinger turns it into a hill climb machine and and takes away a little of the handling of the trike. I'm positive others will disagree. It's just my opinion.
    Last edited by BOB MARLIN; 09-11-2020 at 12:05 PM.
    YAMAHA 450 HYBRID
    85 350X- RED
    85 350x -BLACK
    86 350x-WHITE (with Goki)
    85 250r
    83 atc 70
    84 atc 70
    84 atc 110
    09 yfz 450
    2006 Arctic Cat Prowler
    RZR XP 900

--
    I have experience with the KTM 85SX forks on the 250R, but not with the swingarm length you are interested in. I’m currently running a +2 swingarm. I ride mostly sand dunes, and I love the way the bike handles. The only drawback to those forks is the limited size of heavier springs available. If you’re a heavier rider (190#+), I would suggest going with shortened full-size dirt bike forks.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    I have become a heavier rider throughout the years >< although it was mostly involuntary lol. But yes I am closer to the 250# side of things these days. So are we saying the CR250 forks shortened?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by _ATC250R View Post
    I have become a heavier rider throughout the years >< although it was mostly involuntary lol. But yes I am closer to the 250# side of things these days. So are we saying the CR250 forks shortened?
    Haven't we all. Yes, I would recommend forks off of a 250 or 450, then shortened accordingly, depending on how long of a swingarm you go with.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //