//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ATC 250R Advice Needed!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by keister View Post
    It looks really nice. Congrats!

Whereabouts are you from, jeepguy? I live near the Beaver / Butler county line.
    PM sent. We've got to be close!
    3 Wheels:
    1982 Honda ATC 185s
    1983 Honda ATC 250R
    1984 Yamaha 225DX
    1985 Honda 250SX
    1986 Honda Big Red 250ES

4 Wheels:
    1986 Suzuki LT50
    1987 Honda TRX 250 Fourtrax
    2023 Honda Foreman

--
    Took a few more pics to give everyone a little better idea of condition. What I'm considering is having the frame stripped and powder coated. I doubt I could do all the work myself as far as pulling it all apart and rebuilding it once the frame is done. Any ideas on how much the labor for destructing and rebuilding would cost? How about powder coating or painting the frame? Don't want to start this right away as I plan to do some more riding before having it down for a significant period of time.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image0-2.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	159.6 KB 
ID:	264393

Name:	image3.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	264390

Name:	image1-2.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	264391

Name:	image2.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	121.7 KB 
ID:	264392
    3 Wheels:
    1982 Honda ATC 185s
    1983 Honda ATC 250R
    1984 Yamaha 225DX
    1985 Honda 250SX
    1986 Honda Big Red 250ES

4 Wheels:
    1986 Suzuki LT50
    2023 Honda Foreman

--
    You're moving in the right direction, that frame definitely needs recoated with something.

For the tearing down part, unless you find someone experienced with that model to do it, you should consider doing it yourself. You may catch something that needs attention. Someone just turning wrenches to disassemble it may not spend enough time looking over the small stuff of researching the intricacies of that model like you would.

There's always a chance of cracks in the frame. Thin, stamped metal parts that start cracking at the welds, motor mount areas, really just anywhere. If you disassembled it, then used paint stripper and a followed that with a good rubbing of a scouring pad, you'll likely see any cracks yourself. That can save you time and money with the refinisher. You'll be able to have those areas repaired before attempting paint or powder.

Why powder coat? Honda didn't do that from the factory. Besides, you can't touch it up when it gets chipped, and it will. To that, what about corrosion under the powder coating? I'm just not a fan of powder coating frames. Something along the lines of 'restored' American muscle cars with perfectly matching body panel seams, which they most certainly didn't have from the factory. That's me being grumpy about the difference between reality and people confusing it with OCD.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    ATC King - great points. Especially on paint vs. powder coating. Honestly, I'm pretty intimidated by the thought of tearing this thing down myself. Not so much the tear down I guess, but the rebuild. My fear is that I get it apart, do the frame work and paint, then it sits and doesn't get put back together. Or I get into an issue that's over my head. I think I'll keep doing my research and keep learning, and maybe gain the confidence and knowledge take this on in a few months.
    3 Wheels:
    1982 Honda ATC 185s
    1983 Honda ATC 250R
    1984 Yamaha 225DX
    1985 Honda 250SX
    1986 Honda Big Red 250ES

4 Wheels:
    1986 Suzuki LT50
    2023 Honda Foreman

--
    Anyone have any good sources for the missing right side tank fairing? I've googled it to death at this point!
    3 Wheels:
    1982 Honda ATC 185s
    1983 Honda ATC 250R
    1984 Yamaha 225DX
    1985 Honda 250SX
    1986 Honda Big Red 250ES

4 Wheels:
    1986 Suzuki LT50
    2023 Honda Foreman

--
    Quote Originally Posted by psujeepguy View Post
    Honestly, I'm pretty intimidated by the thought of tearing this thing down myself. Not so much the tear down I guess, but the rebuild. My fear is that I get it apart, do the frame work and paint, then it sits and doesn't get put back together.
    You've got a cell phone with camera, yes? Take a lot of pictures, you'll be fine.

You'll just be pulling the engine and taking the suspension off the frame. There's not much to that. Put labels on the bolts if you have to, but pictures with your phone should be more than enough. We're living in a time when a whole crap load of power is right in peoples hands.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    That trike is sweet. I powder coated my frame for my 350x it cost me $250. And in NH that’s a good price.
    Do the tear down yourself it’s a piece of cake! Lots of pictures and a box of sandwich bags to organize the bolts.
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 200E yard rat
    1984 ATC 200X
    1984 ATC 200S (X2)
    1985 ATC 70 (X2)
    1985 ATC 200S
    1985 ATC 250R
    1986 TRX 70
    1986 ATC 350X
    2004 kfx 700 XC
    2006 prarie 700 XC
    2009 Brute Force 750
    2020 CF Moto 600

--
    ^^^^ He's right. Ziploc bags are your best friend when tearing trikes down.
    Putting it back together is the easy part - we can help you through that.
    The intimidating part for me would be getting it apart.

......Anyone..... is this one of the models notorious for having a seized swingarm bolt?
    Axles and bearings and snap rings and bolts have a tendency to come out hard after 30+ years.
    Steering stem bearing races often need cut out. Nothing a Dremel and a grinder can't solve.

If I were you, I would RIDE IT!
    Over time you will break / wear out / replace parts and before you know it you'll know this machine inside and out.
    That's when you tear it down and make it pretty.

Spray your frame and motor and swingarm (and everything metal) with WD40 everytime you ride/wash it.
    It will prevent further corrosion. That rust has been on there for years, it's not hurting anything.
    That's my 2 cents.

--
    I second just Ride it, to many have been tore down and never put back, people lose interest, money runs out or its a snow balls.
    You tell yourself, while its tore down you should do this or polish that, it need this, you want that.
    Unless you really need another project, and you really have the money, and you really don't want to ride it for the next few months
    than leave it alone.
    Just enjoy it, at the end of the day, its yours do what makes you happy.
    You own the King of the Hill, the top of the line Honda 250r
    whether you put it on a self or ride it, it's yours, enjoy it your way.
    MrC.
    mrc_builds on YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmw...confirmation=1

My Addiction
    85 200m "Tallahassee"
    84 200x "SouthPort"
    84 200x "Van Halen"
    84 250r "lucky"
    85 250sx "Enterprise"
    85 350x "The Money Pit"
    85 350x Code Red
    86 250r "Unicorn"
    86 trx250r
    88 Lt250r Suzuki

mrc_builds saves trikes like Jimmy Swaggart saved souls back in the day -said Patriot1

--
    Thanks again to everyone for all the advice. For now, I think I'll focus on correcting any major mechanical issues like rear brake assembly now that the front brake is fixed and rear shock replacement (a replacement came with it), but mostly focus on riding! I ordered repro decals and I'll give it a good cleaning which will go a long way in improving appearance. I like to keep my "toys" in nice condition while still using them for what they were built for - but the frame can wait. Man, this thing is a blast to ride!
    3 Wheels:
    1982 Honda ATC 185s
    1983 Honda ATC 250R
    1984 Yamaha 225DX
    1985 Honda 250SX
    1986 Honda Big Red 250ES

4 Wheels:
    1986 Suzuki LT50
    2023 Honda Foreman

jasong_10 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by MrConcdid View Post
    I second just Ride it, to many have been tore down and never put back, people lose interest, money runs out or its a snow balls.
    You tell yourself, while its tore down you should do this or polish that, it need this, you want that.
    Unless you really need another project, and you really have the money, and you really don't want to ride it for the next few months
    than leave it alone.
    Just enjoy it, at the end of the day, its yours do what makes you happy.
    You own the King of the Hill, the top of the line Honda 250r
    whether you put it on a self or ride it, it's yours, enjoy it your way.
    MrC.
    Agreed, my R sat in pieces for years while I built my car (tore it apart right before stumbling across a great deal on a supercharger for the car). When we decided that my wife was going to retire from teaching to stay home with the kids four years ago, I knew that if I didn't get it back together then it would never happen. So I set the $$ aside and got it done.
    Jason

85 ATC 250R - restored stock other than 18" rears, nerf bars, Honda key switch, 14T front sprocket, and white tank and plastics (except rad shrouds)

87 ATC 200X - restored stock other than 18" rears and nerf bars

84 TRX 200 - rough but complete budget restore for wife and eventually daughters to bum around on

Eton Viper 50cc - oldest daughter's current ride

--
    Nice! You did great for the price.... $1600 around me gets you a pile of non running crap by comparison. The best deal i have had in years was a $600 ATC200 that didn't run and i had to tear the engine apart and go through it. Ended up great in the end im not complaining since it was fun and the engine was overall in great reusable condition, but just a few years ago i would have bought this one for $100-200... The prices on them have gone through the dang roof.

That tank fairing is going to be watch eBay, i have seen a few of them on there, or get on some Facebook groups and ask around. There is a bunch of guys up on the Honda Hoarders group on Facebook that got parts stashed like a dang squirrel, i've scored a few tidbits there since joining that group. You can also post on the classifieds here just in case someone has one stashed away.

There is a ton of trike parts showing up on eBay these days though, not all the prices are crazy, the bad thing about the increase in popularity is a lot of them seem to be getting parted out now... It's sad but good for those that need parts.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1984 Honda ATC200ES "Big Red"
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"
    1988 TRX300FW "Project Quad" Still in progress....

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //