//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ATC 250R Advice Needed!

--

ATC 250R Advice Needed!

I'm excited to say that I have an opportunity to purchase a 1983 Honda ATC 250R! This trike has some surface rust on the frame, needs a rear brake caliper and has issues with the front brake (I'm assuming it needs a master cylinder). Plastic has been replaced with a new Maier set. It has original rims, DG exhaust, and the top end has been rebuilt. Tank looks to be in great shape and was professionally repainted. It has been stored for 4 years - the tank was drained prior to storing and I'm told it runs well. I'm on my way to look at it tomorrow. Price is $1600. What do you think? Fair price? What should I look for and be sure to inspect? These don't come up for sale often in my area, and when they do, they are usually in very poor condition or way over priced. What else do I need to know? Thanks in advance!

--
    Seems a bit high for an Air cooled 250r that needs work. I would also want to know why the top end was rebuilt and if they fixed the issue that caused it. But if it is in great shape otherwise it may be worth it. I would also bring a compression tester to make sure the compression is good.

--
    Around me here in Canada that would be a steal. I just paid over 500 alone for the DG exhaust for my 83. Also the maier plastics I purchased were also well over 500 after shipping. I bought new front and rear calipers for mine off ebay so those are pretty easy to replace. I'd buy that real quick.
    1984 Honda 250R
    1985 ATC 250SX
    1985 Tri-Z 250
    1983 Honda 250R
    1986 Honda 350X
    1983 Yamaha Tri-Moto 175
    1983 Honda Big Red 200

1981 Honda ATC 110

--
    I appreciate the input. I didn't really expect to get an opportunity to purchase a 250R at a reasonable price, so I'm a bit unprepared. I'm leaning towards making the purchase - just trying to control the excitement and keep a level head!

--
    My advice is to bring some fuel with you and make the seller start it for you.

--
    I'd ask about how many hours are on the 'rebuilt' top end.

Some real riding time means it's alright, someone saying and hour or two makes me wonder what went wrong for them to park it. Receipts are good too. Some people's top end rebuild consist of a cheap hone, new rings on a used piston, and generic name gaskets.

$1,600 can turn into $3,000 real quick if you have to replace or rebuild much.

How it's stored says something too. In a barn or shed without a cover, they didn't care too much about it. In a shop or garage with a concrete floor is better.

I professionally repaint everything with Rust-Oleum.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    You gotta take it for a test ride.... or at least hear / see it run.

Grab the rear bar and rock it side to side to check for play in the bearings and bushings.
    Might not be a deal breaker, but if you start finding issues like that, you can start talking him down on price.

--
    Well, I brought it home! It runs awesome! I really need to get the brakes taken care of. The prior owner had some property so I was able to run it through a couple of gears even without brakes before coming to an agreement. The work that has been done so far seems to be solid. Top end rebuild seems legit, tank repaint was done by a body shop - the inside looks brand new. Tires are all new. This is gonna be a fun project! I'm pumped to own it! I'm interested in any and all advice you all have to give. This is my first 2 stroke so I am here to learn.

--
    Congrats on your first trike and 2stroke! Change the oil once in a while, keep the carb clean, and don't forget to mix you gas.

I would also do a compression test on it now and again once a year. A large drop in compression will let you know somethings wrong or its time for a rebuild.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by psujeepguy View Post
    Well, I brought it home! It runs awesome!
    Awesome! No how about some...

PICS!!!

Last edited by ATC King; 09-19-2020 at 08:20 AM.

--
    Working on figuring out how to post a pic...

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image0-2.jpeg 
Views:	30 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	264379

I'll work on getting a few more too.

--
    Looks like you did real good. Nice bike. Those itp tires on the rear look sweet, full exhaust, new plastics and a redone tank. Jealous.
    1984 Honda 250R
    1985 ATC 250SX
    1985 Tri-Z 250
    1983 Honda 250R
    1986 Honda 350X
    1983 Yamaha Tri-Moto 175
    1983 Honda Big Red 200

1981 Honda ATC 110

--
    Ring-a-ding!

Looks like you got something you can fully enjoy with minimal work.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by psujeepguy View Post
    I'll work on getting a few more too.
    It looks really nice. Congrats!

Whereabouts are you from, jeepguy? I live near the Beaver / Butler county line.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //