//ArrowChat Code

Thread: ATC 185s No spark?

--

Unhappy ATC 185s No spark?

Hey everyone any help would be nice i have a 185 that i just picked up it started and ran fine for the 2 min that i drove it, but now has no spark. I have tried two different plugs, checked the grounds, checked all of the connectors, tried a different cdi coil thing that runs to the plug and that other box whatever it is that is beside it, as well as removing a quarter inch off the the ends of the plug wire, as well as changed the boot for it, and nothing has helped. It sparks great when a 1/8 OFF of contact with the block/metal, but when i hold it against a clean metal contact, i have nothing? anyone have advice, or encountered this weird problem before?
    thanks

--
    update i seem to have narrowed it down, when either the ground or the spark plug are held a little big off the block or machine, i have spark on both ends, but when both are connected to the block, i have nothing?

--
    make sure you have a brand new correct plug. If you dont get a spark with your plug, can you stick a screwdriver in the plug wire and hold if off the block and get spark? jim
    81 185s
    82 185s with 85 200s motor
    suspended 185s
    85 atc70
    1984 200s
    85 350x 3rd owner
    and a 72 ct70

projects coming along

85 200s
    81 suspended 185s (can't believe I came across 2)
    1982? 185s

--
    Definitely agree, new plug before anything else now. Sounds like your saying you can get a spark to jump from the plug to the frame when holding the plug a small gap from the frame, but if you touch the threads of the plug to the frame you don't get spark across the gap of the plug? If that's the case you got a bad plug! Its probably got a cracked porcelain insulator allowing the energy to jump from the center to the threaded sleeve of the plug, thats why when you hold it away from the frame you can get an arc, but ground the plug to the frame like its in the motor and you got nothing because your basically shorting out the ignition coil. You got spark, just not where its supposed to be!
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1984 Honda ATC200ES "Big Red"
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"
    1988 TRX300FW "Project Quad" Still in progress....

--
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--NShhqEjfs

watch this, follow his pin out, get a meter and check it just like he explains. When you find a different result, that is your bad componet.

MrC.
    Mechanics= is the process of elimination of bad parts.
    Last edited by MrConcdid; 09-27-2020 at 11:37 PM.
    mrc_builds on YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmw...confirmation=1

My Addiction
    85 200m "Tallahassee"
    84 200x "SouthPort"
    84 200x "Van Halen"
    84 250r "lucky"
    85 250sx "Enterprise"
    85 350x "The Money Pit"
    85 350x Code Red
    86 250r "Unicorn"
    86 trx250r
    88 Lt250r Suzuki

mrc_builds saves trikes like Jimmy Swaggart saved souls back in the day -said Patriot1

--
    thanks guys, did just that, and gaped the plug, and its running good now.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //