//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 185s pull start trouble shooting

--

185s pull start trouble shooting

I have recently posted about my pullstart not working and I am back with more questions. I have taken apart everything and cleaned everything. I then put it back together properly. The spring is wound properly and the decompression system is installed properly. I am still getting the same problem though. As I pull, after about 2-3 inches of rope is pulled, I hear a clicked noise(not the dogs) and the pull start won't pull any further. I think this might be the compression cord pulling in all the way before the release can go all the way,but i don't know how to fix that. I also have tried a second cable and that doesn't change the outcome. What can I do?

--
    I had this same problem I rebuilt it 7 times worked on the bench, then on the bike it would work 1 or 2 then come apart.
    Ok follow along, looking at the center housing the hub the rope runs on, the 3 dogs sit in there holes, there is a raised area that looks like a Chinese throwing star.
    between each of the dogs it should be solid no joint line or cracks. Mine was cracked but looked factory, I didn't know it was broken until I got a replacement that didn't have the cracks in it.
    Under no load it works, but when on the bike the dog flex because the housing holding them is cracked and pop out of place.

The 3 lines circled in orange on mine looked like this, you could try to weld them up IDK, but I replaced the recoil pulley with a new one off
    ebay, and its worked perfect ever since.

MrC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails recoil pully.jpg  
    mrc_builds on YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmw...confirmation=1

My Addiction
    85 200m "Tallahassee"
    84 200x "SouthPort"
    84 200x "Van Halen"
    84 250r "lucky"
    85 250sx "Enterprise"
    85 350x "The Money Pit"
    85 350x Code Red
    86 250r "Unicorn"
    86 trx250r
    88 Lt250r Suzuki

mrc_builds saves trikes like Jimmy Swaggart saved souls back in the day -said Patriot1

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16009854861977821441262410076300.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	264408

Like this?

jasong_10 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    It does look like there is a crack at each one of those areas . . .
    Jason

85 ATC 250R - restored stock other than 18" rears, nerf bars, Honda key switch, 14T front sprocket, and white tank and plastics (except rad shrouds)

87 ATC 200X - restored stock other than 18" rears and nerf bars

84 TRX 200 - rough but complete budget restore for wife and eventually daughters to bum around on

Eton Viper 50cc - oldest daughter's current ride

--
    Quote Originally Posted by MrConcdid View Post
    I had this same problem I rebuilt it 7 times worked on the bench, then on the bike it would work 1 or 2 then come apart.
    Ok follow along, looking at the center housing the hub the rope runs on, the 3 dogs sit in there holes, there is a raised area that looks like a Chinese throwing star.
    between each of the dogs it should be solid no joint line or cracks. Mine was cracked but looked factory, I didn't know it was broken until I got a replacement that didn't have the cracks in it.
    Under no load it works, but when on the bike the dog flex because the housing holding them is cracked and pop out of place.

The 3 lines circled in orange on mine looked like this, you could try to weld them up IDK, but I replaced the recoil pulley with a new one off
    ebay, and its worked perfect ever since.

MrC.
    This makes perfect sense. I'll have to file it away in the trike trivia mental file.

--
    Exactly, your pulley is cracked and needs to be replaced.
    Its flexing under a load and the dogs come out and eat your springs.
    Replace the pulley housing and you will be fine.
    MrC.
    mrc_builds on YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmw...confirmation=1

My Addiction
    85 200m "Tallahassee"
    84 200x "SouthPort"
    84 200x "Van Halen"
    84 250r "lucky"
    85 250sx "Enterprise"
    85 350x "The Money Pit"
    85 350x Code Red
    86 250r "Unicorn"
    86 trx250r
    88 Lt250r Suzuki

mrc_builds saves trikes like Jimmy Swaggart saved souls back in the day -said Patriot1

--
    Fantastic post!! I had one a while back that was doing that, i never realized the cracks were the problem.... I will file that away in my brain for next time!
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1984 Honda ATC200ES "Big Red"
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"
    1988 TRX300FW "Project Quad" Still in progress....

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //