//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 3d printed decompression housing

--

3d printed decompression housing

I see that the plastic peice for the decompression part of the pull start is impossible to find. If I had 3d printed one, would it work and would there be interest in one

--
    You referring to the little ratchet piece? I would say yes but with one caveat... It must be printed on a SLA/MSLA printer. FDM ain't going to cut it, i can see the outward tabs just snapping off. I have printed a bunch of parts on my MSLA printer in an ABS like resin and they are quite resilient. But i wouldn't make something like that with FDM. If its a part under compression FDM will work, under tension your bound to get layer separation as the failure point. I do 3d printing and CAD design for a living, can't wait until i can get my hands on a metal 3d printer, the laser sintering printers are coming down in price, still in the tens of thousands though! Then i will be making parts like that out of aluminum by pressing print.. LOL
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1984 Honda ATC200ES "Big Red"
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"
    1988 TRX300FW "Project Quad" Still in progress....

--
    Why stop there?,make the whole recoil housing.
    That should be easy enough.

MrC.
    mrc_builds on YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmw...confirmation=1

My Addiction
    85 200m "Tallahassee"
    84 200x "SouthPort"
    84 200x "Van Halen"
    84 250r "lucky"
    85 250sx "Enterprise"
    85 350x "The Money Pit"
    85 350x Code Red
    86 250r "Unicorn"
    86 trx250r
    88 Lt250r Suzuki

mrc_builds saves trikes like Jimmy Swaggart saved souls back in the day -said Patriot1

--
    Considering how much money recoil housings go for these days i am really surprised that someone hasn't reproduced them yet. Look at all the cheap chinese versions of most of the parts on these now days, from engine parts to brakes, carbs, tanks, headlight housings, switches, hand controls, control cables... The only part i don't think you can get is fenders, at least not chinese produced since Maier makes them, and the recoil. If someone made recoils that would fit 185/200 motors i think they could sell a good amount of them. A used rusty one goes for over $100 these days.
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"

--
    Just the rebuild kit with decompression hook plate, cushion, friction spring & cable is priced at $210.

http://shop.3wheelerworld.com/index....product_id=455
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-1050x1200_0.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	264434

If that reproduced plastic part is going to push it to $300, there's probably not going to be many sold. First someone has to make a few and have them tested by people actually out riding and not just a time or two each month.

I know I'd like one because my recoils are gutted and I can't even consider getting the auto decomp functional without that piece.

It's probably going to have to be a group buy to get anyone interested in reproducing these, and with people who'll actually pay and not just disappear once they're available and leave the maker hanging.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    crazy to see this post. ive seen that flat spring in my drawer of parts for years and never knew what it was for. found the decompression ring too. now to see if the round spring is in one of the boxes. Jim
    81 185s
    82 185s with 85 200s motor
    suspended 185s
    85 atc70
    1984 200s
    85 350x 3rd owner
    and a 72 ct70

projects coming along

85 200s
    81 suspended 185s (can't believe I came across 2)
    1982? 185s

--
    I've seen another source of that rebuilt kit, and it was far cheaper, now i can't remember where it was. I will have to do some digging. I don't currently own any with auto decomp, i have my current project which is an 81 that has an auto decomp recoil housing for its recoil, the decomp parts were all removed from it and when i got it they put duct tape over the cable hole. I removed the tape and cleaned it up and 3d printed a TPU hole plug to fill that hole with, a little RTV around the lip of the plug and then installed it, i don't do a lot of water logged activities around here so its just to keep the rain out, though they hardly ever sit out in the rain either. This recoil housing has a weep hole at the bottom, and the flywheel/stator housing on the side of the motor has that little slot under the gasket to let any water that gets into the flywheel/stator area drain out. I always thought it was funny they put a cooling fan on the flywheel... The only air flow to that area is the weep holes on the bottom? I can't imagine it does much but circulate the hot air in the housing.

I was going to put a different year recoil on this motor but this is what it came with and they aren't cheap to find. If i found one without the decomp cable opening i might swap it out in the future but its not really a big deal to me. I also thought about making this 81 200 an auto decomp, i have a 185S cable operated decomp lever, i would just need the recoil setup. I think the last one i had with auto decomp that worked was back in the early 90's... LOL
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"

--
    I do have a spare plastic ring if you still need one.
    R.I.P. John Swinehart
    TRIKEFEST 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
    Epic Mikfest 17
    86 200x
    85 250sx
    85 big red
    85 atc 70

Fabiodriven- cereal goes in first, then milk.
    I’ve got an 8” Grip on a 10” turd... Kyle Kiser

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //