//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 200ES - Refresh My Memory Please...

--

200ES - Refresh My Memory Please...

I can't recall, and the service manual doesn't say a darn thing about it, but to replace the outer dust seal on the left side (the gear side) on the 200ES differential you have to pull the axle because there is a bit of flange on the axle that sits against the seal right? I can't for the life of me remember, its been like 10+ years since i did one.

I just noticed yesterday the seal on mine is just starting to get wet, so i know its starting to leak. I replaced the bearings on this one about the same time i did another one, 10+ years ago, and i'm pretty sure i replaced the seals at the time as well, i guess the replacement wasn't that great and its going to have to get done again. At least this time i don't have to do bearings, but i'm nearly certain the axle has to be slid out to get that seal done. Just sucks because thats a lot of teardown to replace that left seal.. Again i swear the axle has to come out but refresh my failing memory.

The brake side should come apart fairly easy on this machine, i replaced the rear brakes about 5 years ago, so i did all the cussing and swearing to get it apart then and everything should come back apart thanks to anti-sieze and grease on everything. Just going over everything before winter sets in here, and thats the only minor issue any of them have right now. It's not the end of the world, its not pouring out just damp around the seal, and it would probably go another year or more before really leaking but when something like this shows up i like to kick it in the butt and fix it.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1984 Honda ATC200ES "Big Red"
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"
    1988 TRX300FW "Project Quad" Still in progress....

--
    Been a while but I’m pretty sure the seal can be replaced without disassembling the differential .
    Should come out from the outer side of the differential . Not sure about having to remove the axle or not but I’m thinking not .

Should be as easy as removing the wheel hub , drywall screw and claw to pull the seal out .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Took a closer look at it today, don't think it can come out without pulling the axle. The hump on the axle is a larger diameter then the inner diameter of the seal. The seal rides on a recess on the inward side of that hump. Its kind of bell shaped. I did some google searching and the best picture i could find of it i put an arrow on it, the flat spot is where the seal runs, so it doesn't look like the seal can be pulled without first pulling the axle because it won't fit over the bell shaped bump out of the axle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	264484

I will get a closer look at it tomorrow and check for sure, but the service manual and the pictures i can find of the axle online the seal is definitely a smaller inner diameter then that lip.
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"

--
    Anyone else got some input on this?? I took a closer look today, even hit it with some brake clean and really cleaned up the axle, it still looks like the seal is smaller then that bump out on the axle and i don't think the seal can fit over it. I don't want to start screwing around with this and have it down for two weeks while i chase parts to take it all apart. The seal thats leaking can be had for under $20 online, i even found NOS Honda seals for this, but i don't want to jump into this project if its going to take it out for the count for a while. The 200ES is my main cleanup tool for the fall and i got a lot of stuff to do. Right now i'm just checking the diff every time i use it to make sure its not leaked down too much but its still a slow weeping leak.

I don't know if the new seal would stretch enough to force it over, of course that would require carefully cleaning that bump out to prevent damage to the seal and a lot of grease to slide it on, but its starting to look like the axle has to come out. I bet someone on here has done one before!
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"

--
    Just did the seals on a 200ES three months ago. You have to pull the axle. That seal is also very stiff with a heavy duty metal insert. You aren't going to stretch it over that bump without destroying it.

Also beware of the All Balls seal kit. They sent me two right side seals and a third RH seal for the LH side (LH seal is a bigger diameter than the RH outer seal). I ended up finding the unicorn. 2 NOS OEM Honda seal popped up on eBay that week, so I bought and used those instead
    Last edited by ironchop; 10-02-2020 at 09:23 AM.

--
    Thanks for the confirmation! I was looking at it and figured it had to come out. I was looking at the all balls set and was wondering why the pictures of it showed two seals the same size. I know the left and right seal on the gear side of the diff are the same but the right outer axle seal and inner brake housing seal are smaller. I'm trying to avoid having to buy the right side parts because I did those before, maybe if I'm lucky I can take it apart and put it back without damage. When I did the brakes I replaced the outer axle seal and o ring on the brake cover, the bearing and the inner brake housing seal. I didn't go in farther and replace the gear case seal on that side. Figures I should have done both of them when I was in there.

According to the service manual I can remove the right hub, the axle nuts, the oring, and smack the axle out. Then I should be able to replace that left seal and put the axle back through.. fingers crossed nothing else gets damaged.

The axle should come out, everything was taken apart and coated in anti seize when I did the brakes. Fingers crossed...
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"

--
    Well with the change of weather to winter i finally tackled this today, went pretty quick and easy, the hardest part was getting the gasket scraped off the brake housing. All came apart easy as can be, no drama whatsoever, brake drum literally fell off, i greased the splines when i was last in there 10+ years ago, goes to show what some good grease will do. Axle popped right out. Replaced the left seal, the o-ring on the axle and put it all back together, had to do a little cleanup on the brake housing, brake dust buildup, gave the drum a quick cleanup with some 600 grit and hosed down the shoes and drum with brake clean and that was about it. Now no brake squeak, there was brake dust buildup riding around the inside of the brake drum. Pads still look nearly new, drum didn't even have surface rust on it, just gave it some buffing with sandpaper to break off the slight glaze on it.

All in all... Easy as can be. Now hopefully its another 10+ years before i have to take it apart and i forget again!
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //