//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 82 185S oil leak sprocket shaft..

--

82 185S oil leak sprocket shaft..

Greetings all!

I have been refurbishing a 185s scrap yard save. Starts, runs and shifts. Yay! However, is is leaking a significant amount of oil that appears to be coming out around the sprocket shaft (when you roll to a stop for a minute or two, there will be a couple of tablespoons of oil on the ground). I cleaned that area good and rode it several minutes and it looks to be coming from there (no holes in the case etc.) The good news is that it keeps my chain oiled, the bad new is that it keeps my chain oiled..

Anyway, I have not pulled the sprocket off to get a good look at it yet, but I am wondering, is this a pull the engine and split the case kind of repair (beyond my abilities) or is there some kind of shim or seal I can replace from the outside behind that sprocket on that shaft?

Thanks!

-Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	185s.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	856.7 KB 
ID:	264483  
    Last edited by Jwilloug; 09-30-2020 at 07:54 PM.

--
    I don't know for sure, but going by the break down on Partzilla, I'm guessing the it comes out from the outside.

--
    I believe it’s similar to the shift shaft seal, which means carefully pull it from the outside and slide a new seal on. Not a big deal. You could check Rocky Mountain for a quick diagram and parts reference.

--
    There's the neutral indicator shaft and shift shaft that also come through the left side of the case. Check those also.

I'm pretty sure they can all be removed and replaced wit the engine still in the frame. Clean everything well and take a Scotch Brite pad to the countershaft BEFORE pulling the old seal. You'll want the shaft as clean as possible while putting the new seal on and put some tape around the splines so they don't cut the new seal as you slide it on.

To remove the old countershaft seal, put a couple sheet metal screws 180 degrees apart into it, just a few thread in. Then use a couple pairs of pliers to just pull it straight out. Probably not relative to your ordeal, but the Suzuki DR650 motorcycles had a tendency to physically blow that seal out of the case, so the new ones have a small keeper over it to prevent that. Maybe it got too much oil at some point and the seal became unseated?
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Thanks guys this is all very helpful and encouraging! =)

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //