//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Easiest, cheapest bike to build off ebay? (Full suspension)

--

Easiest, cheapest bike to build off ebay? (Full suspension)

browsed ebay quickly last night and "built" a 200x. The prices I used were average prices for their respective parts from all the listings. Motor, tires, and a few other cheaper odds and ends were not included.

I came to a total of 2300$ or so.

Considering the collectability and coolness "tax" on trikes nowadays i didn't think that was a completely unreasonable number. Its something that's going to appreciate in value over time, perhaps even faster than inflation.

However.. I have little idea of what a complete running 200x goes for in my area. I live in one of the least populated states in the country, which is nice, but it comes with the downside of there being less stuff for sale.. which works out to "cool" stuff usually being more expensive than it would be in a more populated area.. just because its inherently more "rare"

Is 2300ish for an "almost roller" 200x unreasonable? It would have all new bearings, newly covered seat, new plastics, new tank, new aluminum wheels, new rear hubs, nearly every nut and bolt replaced with polished stainless... pretty sufficiently "freshened up" in my opinion.

What would I be looking at in price for a running motor to put in it? What would I be looking at for a REBUILT motor to put in it? Are there any direct motor swaps for a 200x, from a bike or quad?

Thanks guys.
    1980 Honda 110-125 lifan manual clutch *in progress*

1985 200x - building peice by piece

--
    Anywhere from 700-2k+ for a running 200x here in CA. I recently sold a complete roller minus the engine for 400$

--
    there's a nice 200x not running local for 1400 obo. probably a easy fix for us gear heads. I sold a couple earlier this year, one with a slipping kick start titled for 550 is and another running great complete titled for 800 ish i jjst can't bring myself to spend over 1000 bucks on a trike that I couldn't get 800 bucks for. jim
    81 185s
    82 185s with 85 200s motor
    suspended 185s
    85 atc70
    1984 200s
    85 350x 3rd owner
    and a 72 ct70

projects coming along

85 200s
    81 suspended 185s (can't believe I came across 2)
    1982? 185s

--
    There's a reason a lot of 200Xs get turned into Auto-Xs.

Some 200X years actually were recalled by Honda, so they could install updated parts. If those never made it back to the dealer for the recall, they still have the inferior kickstart internals and if not already slipping, they will at some point.

The kicker is, those parts are no longer available from Honda and that's the only starting method for the 200X, unless you find one with a Goki electric start. NOS kicker parts; $$$.
    I'm pretty certain 99.9% of 200Xs have non functioning brakes or brake parts completely missing.

Top end rebuilds are one thing. Once the transmission gets to the point of no return, or the crankshaft, you're stuck searching for $$$ NOS parts or a $$ running engine. Those $500-$700 Chinese engines begin to look like a good option at that point, but bam, it's just a Honda roller with a Chinese engine from that point on.

NOS parts are expensive and often hard to come by. Do you really want to ride a nice machine that'll dry hump your wallet every time you start it? Be prepared to stick to the golf course with it or drain the fuel and keep it indoors to look at and make engine noises while pretending to ride.

There is no cheap or easy way to get into trikes at this point. If you really want to ride, something will get broken or worn out at some point. You'll need a good rider and at least one parts trike. If you want something museum quality, you have to buy one of those to go along with the rider and parts trikes, so you don't have to get it dirty. There's probably an answer to a question you didn't ask. Why do people end up with so many trikes?

There are pockets of decently prices ones across the US, but you'll have to pay shipping or drive hundreds of miles (1,000+?) to pick one up. At that point, you may as well take a large fifth wheel horse trailer and spend several months scouring all the local areas and buying up every decent priced trike you find, while sleeping in the truck and subsiding on water and uncooked oatmeal to save money for buying more trikes, waking up at every little noise to make sure someone isn't trying to break into the trailer and steal part of your hard earned trike horde.

This is a bad road to start down. Are you up to it?
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    There's a reason a lot of 200Xs get turned into Auto-Xs.

Some 200X years actually were recalled by Honda, so they could install updated parts. If those never made it back to the dealer for the recall, they still have the inferior kickstart internals and if not already slipping, they will at some point.

The kicker is, those parts are no longer available from Honda and that's the only starting method for the 200X, unless you find one with a Goki electric start. NOS kicker parts; $$$.
    I'm pretty certain 99.9% of 200Xs have non functioning brakes or brake parts completely missing.

Top end rebuilds are one thing. Once the transmission gets to the point of no return, or the crankshaft, you're stuck searching for $$$ NOS parts or a $$ running engine. Those $500-$700 Chinese engines begin to look like a good option at that point, but bam, it's just a Honda roller with a Chinese engine from that point on.

NOS parts are expensive and often hard to come by. Do you really want to ride a nice machine that'll dry hump your wallet every time you start it? Be prepared to stick to the golf course with it or drain the fuel and keep it indoors to look at and make engine noises while pretending to ride.

There is no cheap or easy way to get into trikes at this point. If you really want to ride, something will get broken or worn out at some point. You'll need a good rider and at least one parts trike. If you want something museum quality, you have to buy one of those to go along with the rider and parts trikes, so you don't have to get it dirty. There's probably an answer to a question you didn't ask. Why do people end up with so many trikes?

There are pockets of decently prices ones across the US, but you'll have to pay shipping or drive hundreds of miles (1,000+?) to pick one up. At that point, you may as well take a large fifth wheel horse trailer and spend several months scouring all the local areas and buying up every decent priced trike you find, while sleeping in the truck and subsiding on water and uncooked oatmeal to save money for buying more trikes, waking up at every little noise to make sure someone isn't trying to break into the trailer and steal part of your hard earned trike horde.

This is a bad road to start down. Are you up to it?
    Your a straight shooter, I like it. Thank you for your reply.

Being able to source a motor in a condition to my liking was my biggest concern, but having learned there are other drop in options definitely has me closer to turning down that road.

--
    Building one from parts is a long, expensive road to go down. I'm doing that with a YT175 right now, I started with a pickup load of 125/175 parts for $150, I'll be in it nearly $800 by the time I'm done BUT that will be with new tires and a fresh bottom end and new rings. I started with a rolling chassis and I've still had to overpay several times for parts that I had to ship across the country to put it together. With the inflated prices we're seeing now for ATCs, those late model MX bike conversions start looking like a better deal all the time.
    Hoarder of the finest junk

'82 YT175
    '83 YTM200
    '85 KLT110
    '86 Moto 4 225
    '84 TRX200 trike conversion.
    '87 Tecate 4
    Lots of vintage and not so vintage two wheeled stuff.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by TrikeKid View Post
    Building one from parts is a long, expensive road to go down. I'm doing that with a YT175 right now, I started with a pickup load of 125/175 parts for $150, I'll be in it nearly $800 by the time I'm done BUT that will be with new tires and a fresh bottom end and new rings. I started with a rolling chassis and I've still had to overpay several times for parts that I had to ship across the country to put it together. With the inflated prices we're seeing now for ATCs, those late model MX bike conversions start looking like a better deal all the time.
    Oh its a process for sure, but its an enjoyable rewarding process.

I'm totally diving in. I love projects.

--
    As others have stated, you have many options.
    Why not buy a rider (already working/starting) a good one will cost anywhere from $1000 to $2000 depending on your area. and enjoy it.
    Sure build one, but you will not be riding next weekend and it will cost you more in the long run.
    There are modern conversions, if you have the money big money, but also a new bike.

I buy, build and sell. You will be money ahead, buying one already in good working condition vs building or rebuilding one.
    Even with today's higher prices, you can be money ahead and riding this weekend.

MrC.
    mrc_builds on YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmw...confirmation=1

My Addiction
    85 200m "Tallahassee"
    84 200x "SouthPort"
    84 200x "Van Halen"
    84 250r "lucky"
    85 250sx "Enterprise"
    85 350x "The Money Pit"
    85 350x Code Red
    86 250r "Unicorn"
    86 trx250r
    88 Lt250r Suzuki

mrc_builds saves trikes like Jimmy Swaggart saved souls back in the day -said Patriot1

--
    Quote Originally Posted by MrConcdid View Post
    As others have stated, you have many options.
    Why not buy a rider (already working/starting) a good one will cost anywhere from $1000 to $2000 depending on your area. and enjoy it.
    Sure build one, but you will not be riding next weekend and it will cost you more in the long run.
    There are modern conversions, if you have the money big money, but also a new bike.

I buy, build and sell. You will be money ahead, buying one already in good working condition vs building or rebuilding one.
    Even with today's higher prices, you can be money ahead and riding this weekend.

MrC.
    I wish I had the money for a new conversion!

But as for the rest..

-im not worried about how long itll take, its almost winter in the northeast and trails are closing in about a month to transition into snowmobile season. Itll be a good winter project, relatively low pressure timeframe since atv trails won't open back up until may.

-I WOULD be spending more building rather than buying a rider.. probably about 1000$ more.. but ill have a 0 mile motor and a ton of other brand new parts. Buying the rider and then bringing it to the same condition would end up costing me more. It would require disassembly too... building one saves all the hassle of disassembly! Ha.

--
    A side effect of building one too, which I like, is giving a +1 to the trike population. If I were to buy one the amount of rideable trikes would stay the same

--
    I’m building a 350x from the ground up and I’m $4000 deep and looking like $1500 more.
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 200E yard rat
    1984 ATC 200X
    1984 ATC 200S (X2)
    1985 ATC 70 (X2)
    1985 ATC 200S
    1985 ATC 250R
    1986 TRX 70
    1986 ATC 350X
    2004 kfx 700 XC
    2006 prarie 700 XC
    2009 Brute Force 750
    2020 CF Moto 600

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Blmpkn View Post
    A side effect of building one too, which I like, is giving a +1 to the trike population. If I were to buy one the amount of rideable trikes would stay the same

You don't have to talk yourself into it, out loud. You're trike positive decision will be supported here.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //