//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Will powder coating hold up to this?

--

Will powder coating hold up to this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9AD6FCAF-24FE-4660-A5C4-B39963A9FBB8.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	264708Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A2691EA3-7B33-49BA-9A75-7A6D4DE73ACD.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	264709
    Will powder coating hold up to this? Yea it’s 35 year old paint and mostly happened after one ride where we had rain suits on and it was muddy. That’s what ground most of the paint off. I have a tank that I’m going to redo and was wondering if powder coating would stop this or at least not due it as easy.
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    I wouldn’t do it. Powder coat would get scuffed after awhile. It chips easier than conventional paint, colors can’t be tinted to match existing colors and it fads pretty fast in the sun.

I suggest a good base/clear paint job. You can lay on a bunch of clear. When clear gets scratched you can buff it out to look like new multiple times.

--
    ? Ok I figure it would hold up better than paint. I wonder if powder clear would help keep the finish
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    Quote Originally Posted by big specht View Post
    ? Ok I figure it would hold up better than paint. I wonder if powder clear would help keep the finish
    Nothing is going to hold up if you ride in sandy mud and constantly pinch your grinding compound covered knees onto the tank, but property painted it will hold up as well as anything can.

For sport bikes they sell scuff pads that you stick onto the tank to protect the paint from leather and knee pucks. You might try some of those. They should be available in Honda red and clear.

I’m pretty sure that powder coat would look horrible after you start riding.

--
    Two Trikefests in a row, and I rubbed through to the steel on my 200X frame.... and my powder was particularly thick.

It will last longer but not by much, especially in clay/sand/midwest mud/creek riding as pointed out by Camexican

--
    I'm with El

After a good paint job use the 3M Clear Bra or some PPF like that on that area........maybe even a double application.

--
    Ok that solves it. It’s not worth it. I’m just going to paint it and get some of those scuff pads. As for the wear pads where is a good place to get them and what are there actually name ?
    Both mine and my brothers tanks look like that from riding down on the Hatfield and McCoy trails since 09.

--

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //