//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TPC Husqvarna

--
    I'm in Castle Rock, and yes my 501 BVC conversion was a power house, great engine for about any application. However I think a more fun with less engine vibration would be using 2018 and up 300 KTM/Husky 300 2 stroke. Counter balancer, electric start, 6 speed wide ratio... I still have mine in garage until Saturday evening it heads toward New York.

--
    Also, you don't really need a TPC conversion you just need a 450R Quad chassis converted to trike platform then do mods for whichever engine you decide to run. I've been thinking of doing same thing, just not sure engine. I have the 450R minus engine, which I had put a 250R engine in, I bought a steering stem neck for Cr450 fork setup from RedRider, just no time...

--
    But how do you think te300i 2 stroke fuel and oil injected would fair in wide open desert for stretches??

I thought it would be fine and people keep steering me to 4 stroke

--
    I think a dedicated frame is way to go. No??
    I might try to do Vegas to reno...depends how stable I feel it is

--
    To answer your questions:

I think a dedicated custom frame yes is best. But TPC frames are just 450R frames converted, or a replica of a 450R frame converted, so if they will build you one great.
    I'm just pointing out several people do convert quad frames to trikes, which seems like 450R is most common. Then it just comes down to what engine you want to run.

If you have not ridden a KTM/Husky 500 bike you need to, they do have tons of power but you will research and fine many aggravated about the vibrations. Not sure why they are, but they do have much more than others I have ridden.
    If you want a 4 stroke though it would be a great engine. All the fuel injected ones really come alive after you put a Vortex ECU on them.
    You can find my Youtube Videos, several out there where you can see my 501 in action. At Glamis this year it was a riot when it comes to just ripping up an hill you point at with power. Youtube is VintageOffroadLLC, but search Husky 501 trike will find easily.

That said, If I was building another I would do the 300 2 stroke, 2 strokes race in desert all the time, I wouldn't be worried about that. You have to ask yourself how often will you be doing that if living in Denver... Rebuilds are cheaper on them and the main thing to me is they are very smooth engines with little vibration.

At the end of the day just depends what you want to do, do you have other sport trikes currently to compare too?

Which might be doing a ride at Rampart Sunday with my ATC250R.

--
    I thought the 501 was supposed to not vibrate much?

What do you think about 300cc 2stroke for power? I think it can put out close to 50hp with mods. It falls off sharply at 8500rpm. But has 6 speeds and of course final drive for desert

I have athena GET for my FC 450. It seems nice. I have not used it to full potential with adjustments

I grew up on a Big Red in the 80s...no I don't have a background in sport ATC.

Lots of background in motocross and raced yfz450r in BITD Vegas to Reno last year.
    Last edited by mx_599; 10-22-2020 at 07:21 PM.

--

--
    It'd be close for me between the 501 and the two stroke, but I'd choose the two stroke. A smidge less torque but a wider torque curve and more horsepower.

That 450 looks terrible to ride for anything but racing. Sky high RPM peak power and a very narrow torque curve. The torque falls off way before the horsepower does too.

I'm guessing the two stroke will last just as long between rebuilds as either of those modern four strokes and cost less to do so.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    It'd be close for me between the 501 and the two stroke, but I'd choose the two stroke. A smidge less torque but a wider torque curve and more horsepower.

That 450 looks terrible to ride for anything but racing. Sky high RPM peak power and a very narrow torque curve. The torque falls off way before the horsepower does too.

I'm guessing the two stroke will last just as long between rebuilds as either of those modern four strokes and cost less to do so.
    I ended up getting the HSQ TE300i two stroke. I am excited. I will do some mods. Safe reliable stuff. Mainly ECU and head. I will probably do Race Tech conversion on forks...not sure yet. I have had good luck with them when I did my 450 suspension.

Remember, I want this for the motorcycle as well...but still committed to the TPC

I wonder if having the atc tire negates any good suspension forks? I would imagine it does not matter as much like a motorcycle.

I believe I have to use Elka shocks. I was going to investigate what people thought about a 1 inch lowered TPC 3 wheeler? I was probably going to lower the dirt bike 1 inch and I was thinking if I ever truly do a desert race with the 3 wheeler perhaps the 1 inch lowering would improve stability. I believe the Elka shift could be whatever length you need it to be to achieve 1 inch lowering

--
    Also. It sounds like I have a choice of using Honda type rear end or Yamaha type rear end. I think this might include linkage components as well. It would make some sense to do Yamaha because I have a YFZ450R quad.

However, it seems the aftermarket world lives strong for Honda. I like some of the Walsh stuff.

I suppose aftermarket is good for both. I think the Yamaha plastic rear probably looks more modern

--
    Donor bike acquired!

Hsq TE300i

Need to save a bit for conversion now

--
    There is a company that makes a 500 kit for the 300 Husky and KTM 2 smokers.You could upgrade.
    250r rules

--
    Ohhhh, I didn't know

Do you know who? I would like to see. I might just leave as 300i because its brand new and for longevity and reliability and fuel consumption in race...but I would still like to investigate.

--
    I found this pic.I couldn't find the article I read a couple years ago.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	49204733_2329417557293251_9202162603583864832_o.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	285.6 KB 
ID:	265513
    250r rules

--
    Thats a whole new engine!

I bet it was not for the newer injected 2 strokes??

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //