//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 87 200x Refresh

jasong_10 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    [\QUOTE]mailman deliver the tank rubbers yet?[/QUOTE]

Got the mail today and they were in there, thanks again shep. I assume the "bad" one is the un-trimmed one? They all look pretty good to me, lol.

I know this may not even be possible but remembering reading through your old post about sand-casting a while back got me thinking. Is it even possible to make repop OE style grab bar? I would guess that it couldn't be hollow so it might be weaker, but that wouldn't matter to me. I know it's a long shot but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.
    Jason

85 ATC 250R - restored stock other than 18" rears, nerf bars, Honda key switch, 14T front sprocket, and white tank and plastics (except rad shrouds)

87 ATC 200X - restored stock other than 18" rears and nerf bars

84 TRX 200 - rough but complete budget restore for wife and eventually daughters to bum around on

Eton Viper 50cc - oldest daughter's current ride

--
    Quote Originally Posted by jasong_10 View Post
    [\QUOTE]mailman deliver the tank rubbers yet?
    Got the mail today and they were in there, thanks again shep. I assume the "bad" one is the un-trimmed one? They all look pretty good to me, lol.

I know this may not even be possible but remembering reading through your old post about sand-casting a while back got me thinking. Is it even possible to make repop OE style grab bar? I would guess that it couldn't be hollow so it might be weaker, but that wouldn't matter to me. I know it's a long shot but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.[/QUOTE]

I think one had a air bubble or something (all the same rubber mix though.) ya, i got lazy on trimming, most times if the mold is working good theres no real trimming to do or very little. I gotta re-do that mold after x-mas.
    No on the grab bar.
    stock grab bars show up on ebay now and then- but arent cheap when they do, and most are bent at this point. I haven't seen one for a while though so i'm sure at this point your not the only one searching - just use an aftermarket one.
    you'll find out if u havent already that certain 86-87 200x parts are not so easy to locate these days.

How about a rubber grab bar?------kidding....
    shep
    Last edited by Shep1970; 11-07-2020 at 12:10 AM.

--
    From what I read in another thread, there's a guy up here in Maine that has a knack reproducing parts for these old machines. Names Craig Burton, outfit name is adt atc or something of the sorts, can be found on Facebook. He can build you a grab bar.
    1980 Honda 110-125 lifan manual clutch *in progress*

1985 200x - building peice by piece

jasong_10 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Shep1970 View Post
    I think one had a air bubble or something (all the same rubber mix though.) ya, i got lazy on trimming, most times if the mold is working good theres no real trimming to do or very little. I gotta re-do that mold after x-mas.
    No on the grab bar.
    stock grab bars show up on ebay now and then- but arent cheap when they do, and most are bent at this point. I haven't seen one for a while though so i'm sure at this point your not the only one searching - just use an aftermarket one.
    you'll find out if u havent already that certain 86-87 200x parts are not so easy to locate these days.

How about a rubber grab bar?------kidding....
    shep
    No worries, they all look good to me, thank you again. Figured the grab bar would be a no-go, but I want to investigate every option as I have discovered that some 86/87 stuff is pretty hard to get ahold of, lol. I'm kicking myself for not buying the one I saw on Ebay a week after I bought the trike for $115, I thought that price was crazy at the time and figured I'd be able to pick one up for $50, boy was I wrong.
    Jason

85 ATC 250R - restored stock other than 18" rears, nerf bars, Honda key switch, 14T front sprocket, and white tank and plastics (except rad shrouds)

84 TRX 200 - rough but complete budget restore for wife and eventually daughters to bum around on

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Blmpkn View Post
    From what I read in another thread, there's a guy up here in Maine that has a knack reproducing parts for these old machines. Names Craig Burton, outfit name is adt atc or something of the sorts, can be found on Facebook. He can build you a grab bar.
    I'm familiar with Craig and ADT ATC, and there is actually another person on FB that makes them as well. My hang up with them is that they both use flat stock back from the frame and then round tubing for the cross piece. They look like they're great quality but I'd really like the OE look of all round tubing. So I guess for now I'll hold out and pray that I can find an OE one, haha.
    Jason

--
    Got to tinker with it again today and finished disassembly, clean up, and paint. Didn't take the front fender off because I don't think the $$ is going to be there to replace the plastic between now and next spring and I plan on riding it next summer, so it'll have to wait until the fall of 2021.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201108_145949.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	265041

Name:	20201108_150002.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	265042

Name:	20201108_153559.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	950.6 KB 
ID:	265043

Even had time to put the headlight back together, shout out to shep for the headlight shell.

Name:	20201108_171203.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	265044
    Last edited by jasong_10; 11-08-2020 at 09:33 PM.
    Jason

--
    Got some time to work in the garage tonight. Did the final mock up of the homemade grab bar section and prepped them for welding.

Name:	20201129_161603.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	265369

Name:	20201129_162055.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	265370

Also bagged and labeled all the hardware, as it might be a minute before I get to start reassembly. Honestly I was a little proud of myself, actually remembered what everything was/where it goes, lol.
    Jason

--
    I replied in your other thread, you need support for the bolts or the tube just crushes.

For a long time I have wanted to make aluminum tubular grab bars, but I also need to get a 50 x 30 shop built before I keep buying new machines. I'll get there, I may be ready to die by the time I do, but I'll do it...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher View Post
    I replied in your other thread, you need support for the bolts or the tube just crushes.

For a long time I have wanted to make aluminum tubular grab bars, but I also need to get a 50 x 30 shop built before I keep buying new machines. I'll get there, I may be ready to die by the time I do, but I'll do it...
    I did see your post (apologies for not acknowleding it, the last couple weeks have been crazy), and appreciate the catch. My plan is to use round stock with an OD as close as possible to the ID of what I've got so far.

I know, the aftermarket ones out there look like high quality pieces but, I really prefer a bar completely formed from round tubing versus the flat stock on each side . . .
    Jason

--
    Well, had some time to tinker tonight after the kids went to bed so I took a run at recovering the seat. Got the old cover off, all the old staples out, and the seat pan cleaned up, but after an hour of unsuccessfully trying to install new cover, I decided to give up. Once we get clear of the holidays I'll get ahold of my buddy that did the one on my R, well worth the case of Blue Light that it cost me, lol.
    Jason

--
    Looking great ! Just saw this. Of course you qualify for a discount , everyone here does! She's gonna be a beauty when you're done !
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atc007 View Post
    Looking great ! Just saw this. Of course you qualify for a discount , everyone here does! She's gonna be a beauty when you're done !
    Thanks! The new fenders should be here this coming Thursday so the shrouds are the last thing I need to get, but now the Trike Fund is at $0 so I'll have to wait until I get some side work to replenish it before I pull the trigger. I saw no PMs in your sig, so should I e-mail you when I'm ready to get them?
    Jason

--
    New plastics showed up today so I couldn't resist tinkering with them. Drilling the rear fender was an adventure, made the mistake of starting at the back . . . so I've two sets of holes for the seat pan studs, lesson learned. Front fender went better and all the decals laid down pretty nice. Here's the night's work.

Name:	20210105_235425.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	977.2 KB 
ID:	265900

Name:	20210105_223542.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	991.5 KB 
ID:	265901

Name:	20210105_223519.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	897.9 KB 
ID:	265902
    Jason

--
    Things are coming together pretty well over the last week. Got the rear tires mounted Wednesday, and was able to get my seat recovered this afternoon. So naturally I had to put the rear fender back together tonight after the girls went to bed, lol. Here's where we're at.

Name:	20210108_182526.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	265930

Name:	20210108_231040.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	904.6 KB 
ID:	265931

Name:	20210108_231050.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	886.7 KB 
ID:	265932

My buddy did a great job with the cover, and even considering my hack drilling job, I'm really happy with it. It's not perfect, but that's not what I'm shooting for, this is going to be rider, not a show piece.
    Jason

--
    nice work!

Nearly every kind of Honda ATC (plus some custom ones
    several Yami Quads (mostly custom built for MX racing)

https://www.mikesatvfix.com

"Freedom is not free...but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //