//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 87 200x Refresh

jasong_10 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

87 200x Refresh

Well with the increasingly miserable weather and a growing honey-do list, I've decided to call the riding season until Spring. So this afternoon I started tearing down the X for what I'm calling a "refresh" as I wouldn't consider it a restomod but it's not a back to 100% OE either.

My plan is a teardown, deep clean, replace/repair what needs it, and reassemble. The engine runs strong ans doesn't smoke, and all the bearings are tight, so I'm leaving the drivetrain and suspension intact (which will make it easier to move around the garage). Grabbed a new headlight shell from shep and will get new tank shrouds from atc007 on Ebay (unless buying direct qualifies for a forum discount ), along with new Maier fenders. Already have new wheels and tires, just need to get the front tire mounted. Got some parts stored up, some more coming at Christmas, and hopefully can buy some more with some Christmas $$.

Here's where we started:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201021_153613.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	264738

Here's where we stopped for the day:

Name:	20201021_171724.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	264739

I'm cleaning everything that's going back on as it comes off.

I did come across something interesting regarding the coil, it looks like someone made a non-stock one work.

Name:	20201021_193712.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	967.9 KB 
ID:	264740

It starts and runs great so they must have done it right, lol. I'm thinking about replacing it with a stock setup, I assume OE Honda is the way to go rather than an aftermarket equivalent?
    Last edited by jasong_10; 10-21-2020 at 09:09 PM.
    Jason

85 ATC 250R - restored stock other than 18" rears, nerf bars, Honda key switch, 14T front sprocket, and white tank and plastics (except rad shrouds)

87 ATC 200X - restored stock other than 18" rears and nerf bars

84 TRX 200 - rough but complete budget restore for wife and eventually daughters to bum around on

Eton Viper 50cc - oldest daughter's current ride

jasong_10 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Anybody know where I could get my hands on one of these? Babbitts calls it a rubber tank guard.

Name:	20201022_204011.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	899.7 KB 
ID:	264756

Name:	20201022_203955.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	816.4 KB 
ID:	264757

Thanks.
    Jason

85 ATC 250R - restored stock other than 18" rears, nerf bars, Honda key switch, 14T front sprocket, and white tank and plastics (except rad shrouds)

84 TRX 200 - rough but complete budget restore for wife and eventually daughters to bum around on

--
    I did a bunch a couple yrs ago, turned out the rubber i used was crap. (now i know better) I got your pm. I looked around and found one i poured from "good" rubber 6months ago, forgot i did until i saw them. Ive gotta remake the mold to make any more someday soon, but this one is fine, others in pic are fails- "now that i know how to get the mold right" i gotta re-do it.
    I think i still have your address, i'll stick it in the mail "usps" this wk end-
    i'll stick a fail in there too so u can give it a strength test.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	92BA7346-F987-41FF-BFD4-A8BE3DF493B6.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	772.6 KB 
ID:	264758

unless u find one before then.

shep

--
    Shep makes great repops! Speaking of repops I need the rubbers that insulate the rear shock reservoir

--
    Quote Originally Posted by sledcrazyinCT View Post
    Shep makes great repops! Speaking of repops I need the rubbers that insulate the rear shock reservoir
    thanks, the rear shock reservoir rubbers, I have nos ones-well 2 of them there on the coffee table taunting me every night that ones a bit more complex due to the sleeve the frame part slides into. getting closer to trying, i'd just like to get it right the first time. definetly takes some thought.... kinda like puzzles i guess (brain teasers).

shep

--
    Here's where we're at after day two.

Name:	20201024_164359.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	264796

Name:	20201024_164412.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	264797

Name:	20201024_164424.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	972.0 KB 
ID:	264798

Got everything off that's coming off other than the wheels/tires and front plastic, painted everything that gets the epoxy paint, and wiped down the entire machine. Just have to pick up some high temp exhaust paint and spray on bedliner to do the exhaust and skid plate. Once those get painted I can start putting it back together.
    Jason

--
    Day three pics.

Name:	20201104_161250.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	264982

Name:	20201104_161300.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	264983

Name:	20201104_161312.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	940.7 KB 
ID:	264984

Got everything but the rear hubs painted, the front skid plate looks white in the pic but it's actually pretty close to the aluminum that was OEM. I did put the top triple clamp back on because I didn't like having it off with all the weight of the front tire/brakes/etc. still on there. I'll grab some more epoxy paint at work Friday and paint the rear hubs this weekend hopefully.

How does the front wheel/tire assembly come out? It looks like the lock plate unbolts/comes off the left side, then the axle unscrews from the right side . . .

Can some one confirm or correct this?
    Last edited by jasong_10; 11-04-2020 at 10:49 PM.
    Jason

--
    Yes, front wheel- "loosen" don't remove the four front axle clamp nuts for now. Lefty loosy on the bolt (no power tools) do it by hand, its a steel bolt that threads into aluminum (dont strip it out). It'll either come out easy or if bolt is grooved because of old worn bearings this may be more complicated........
    Go back and forth as your loosening the bolt when it starts moving. A little heat can help (near threads) lower fork if needed. Good luck.
    Oh, you do not want to force the fork away from tire while loosening, it needs to come out the side your wrench is on.
    sometimes better to remove forks from the tripple tree. You'll see
    shep

ps. mailman deliver the tank rubbers yet?
    Last edited by Shep1970; 11-05-2020 at 08:55 AM.

--
    Not trying to hijack... but shep, ill likely be in touch for some rubber stuff for my 200 build in the coming weeks/months. Whatever isn't readily found on ebay.
    1980 Honda 110-125 lifan manual clutch *in progress*

1985 200x - building peice by piece

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Blmpkn View Post
    Not trying to hijack... but shep, ill likely be in touch for some rubber stuff for my 200 build in the coming weeks/months. Whatever isn't readily found on ebay.
    ok, the wifes gonna re-list all i have plus a couple new items over the wk-end. So whenever your ready, i think i have enough "stuff" molded up to last for a while.
    you can always pm me here instead of posting.

shep

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Shep1970 View Post
    Yes, front wheel- "loosen" don't remove the four front axle clamp nuts for now. Lefty loosy on the bolt (no power tools) do it by hand, its a steel bolt that threads into aluminum (dont strip it out). It'll either come out easy or if bolt is grooved because of old worn bearings this may be more complicated........
    Go back and forth as your loosening the bolt when it starts moving. A little heat can help (near threads) lower fork if needed. Good luck.
    Oh, you do not want to force the fork away from tire while loosening, it needs to come out the side your wrench is on.
    sometimes better to remove forks from the tripple tree. You'll see
    shep

ps. mailman deliver the tank rubbers yet?
    Okay, thanks shep, yeah I'll make sure to take my time.

I haven't got to the PO box since Thursday of last week, so I'm not sure, I should have time to check it tomorrow. You sent it to the PO box I assume?
    Jason

--
    Quote Originally Posted by jasong_10 View Post
    Okay, thanks shep, yeah I'll make sure to take my time.

I haven't got to the PO box since Thursday of last week, so I'm not sure, I should have time to check it tomorrow. You sent it to the PO box I assume?
    yup the PO box

--
    Looks good so far! I always loved the 87 200X's. One thing I noticed is that your fork boots are discolored at the bottom, that usually means bad fork seals. If you haven't changed them yet now might be a good time.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Shep1970 View Post
    yup the PO box
    Okay, I should be able to check it tomorrow and let you know. Thanks shep.
    Jason

--
    Quote Originally Posted by floydechoes2000 View Post
    Looks good so far! I always loved the 87 200X's. One thing I noticed is that your fork boots are discolored at the bottom, that usually means bad fork seals. If you haven't changed them yet now might be a good time.
    Thanks, I'll check them the next time I get a chance to work on it.
    Jason

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //