//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What's In Those Old Tires?

--
    I have started buying new rims for the rear because of the offset ( I gain 3 inches width which is a plus). And any of the original 3 rims that are salvageable become front rims only.
    I have seen spacers on the front to correct wrong offsets with modern rims, I have yet to try that but it can work.

MrC.
    mrc_builds on YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmw...confirmation=1

My Addiction
    85 200m "Tallahassee"
    84 200x "SouthPort"
    84 200x "Van Halen"
    84 250r "lucky"
    85 250sx "Enterprise"
    85 350x "The Money Pit"
    85 350x Code Red
    86 250r "Unicorn"
    86 trx250r
    88 Lt250r Suzuki

mrc_builds saves trikes like Jimmy Swaggart saved souls back in the day -said Patriot1

--
    I'm the odd ball vs the public, I don't like a wider stance on the 3 wheelers, I ride hard and being wider makes it harder to ride fast in wooded trails for me. I put 1.5in wheel spacers on my 250sx and I hated the terrible handling, I couldn't just whip the machine around like normal. I suspect the average rider doesn't push the limits quite as much as I do though. Racing I can get the wider setup logic since they train on the same types of turns etc. Maybe I just didn't put enough effort into learning how to ride with the wider wear axle, but I'll stick with stock width for myself.

Maybe I'm lucky up here, I don't really get that many machines with bad rims, only that atc200es I bought had bad rims, everything else has been completely usable including tires with tubes in them and I've hit a few of the tire slime tires. Plenty had surface rust, or light pitting, but nothing major. We have a lot of car nuts up here, like a pretty large % of people up here knows how to work on their own stuff, maybe things don't get so bad because of that. I guess I should do some digging and sell some rims =).

--
    Can't say that i have ever had trouble with tubes, so i guess you guys got some extreme situations going on??

I also definitely can't agree on tubes costing 1/3 of the cost of a new tire. Where in the da world are you buying tubes??? LOL... Last tubes i bought cost around $18 each for good quality ones. As for the moisture problem, i just popped off a tire to get a nail out of it, went through the tire and the tube, patched the tube and tire and put it back together. The beads are shot on the wheel but with a tube its been fine for something like 15 years now, there is still no rust inside, looks the same as it did when i put the tube in there for the guy 15 years ago, the talcum powder i sprinkle in to allow the tube to expand without sticking somewhere was still in there as well, dust came falling out!

Now if you ride through mud and water a lot, then yeah a tube could be an issue if your bead isn't sealed and water gets in, but i haven't had that issue myself. I detest tire slime or any other crap like that, usually when i get one with that stuff in it i have to toss it and find a new one because its shot. That stuff should be put in for one reason, in an emergency to get home or to a tire shop, but not left in there. Tire slime, fix a flat, all that stuff is last ditch effort get home crap and its not worth the money it costs.

Each to his own, but i have some tires with tubes in them, and i have never had a single issue with them. I helped take off some tractor tires that had tubes in them, they were on for 40+ years... Guess what, no rust issues... So i guess its dependent on the use of the machine.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1984 Honda ATC200ES "Big Red"
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"
    1988 TRX300FW "Project Quad" Still in progress....

--
    I guess it really depends on what tires you run. Low cost tires are like $50-60, using your number $18 is 32.7% the cost of a $55 tire or 1/3 the cost. Now if you run $100 tires, it's 18% the cost or about 1/5.

Personally I never use tubes, if the tire is so bad it needs a tube, it's time for a new tire. Proper patches on the inside of the tire works quite well too. I suspect the cases that tubes are used are both mild such as "preventative" to extreme where there's nothing left to the tire. Wish I had photos, the 84 ATC200ES I bought came with trashed original tires with tubes in them. The front tire was so bad there was 3-4in wide rips quite often in the tire and the tube was exposed. I rode it like that for a good month before the tube popped and I bought new tires which were $100 for a set of 3 locally at TSC. One knobby for the front, and "W" tread style like the old winter tires used to be for cars/trucks for the rear. Tires are still on the machine to this day and it's been 10+ years (probably closer to 15). Gah I'm getting old lol.

Looked at my oldest pics on 3ww and here's the machine. It's been through hell and back and doesn't show much signs of all the abuse it's been through.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0112.jpg   IMG_0111.jpg   IMG_0110.jpg  

--
    Some more of those hidden gems.

I found this one yesterday, and believe it or not, the tire was holding air.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RustyCrustyWheel (1).jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	265187

Shining a light on the situation.

Name:	RustyCrustyWheel (2).jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	265188

Will it pass the cable test?

Name:	RustyCrustyWheel (3).jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	265189

YES! The cable passed right through it.

This is why I have more pairs of those reinforcing rings than wheels. Though I think the trouble of getting them out is starting to be more time than they're worth. I need to consult Ebay...
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Hey ATCKing, that cable test is like a magic trick, where they sick the large needle throw the balloon and it doesn't pop.

I broke down a set of 3 last night, one was roached like yours the other was newer had a nice sticker, clearly not an OE wheel, but good information.
    I guess the original wheel gave up and this was the replacement. "Marshall" wheel Company.

Seems IPT uses that same part number 8MR413
    MrC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20201112_201843.jpg  

My Addiction
    85 200m "Tallahassee"
    84 200x "SouthPort"
    84 200x "Van Halen"
    84 250r "lucky"
    85 250sx "Enterprise"
    85 350x "The Money Pit"
    85 350x Code Red
    86 250r "Unicorn"
    86 trx250r
    88 Lt250r Suzuki

mrc_builds saves trikes like Jimmy Swaggart saved souls back in the day -said Patriot1

--
    Yep, and it's offset like most of them. Thanks for the pic.

So it had one stock and one offset wheel on the rear? Circle track trike?

I hauled some tires to the landfill the other day. They don't go into the landfill though, so these 'good tread' TrailPros won't be buried and dug up in a 1,000 years to put back onto another trike. Tires go into a semi trailer and out from there to various places. Some get ground up for different uses, while others go to a power plant. I'd like to think these TrailPros will go to the power plant, where they'll provide power, instead of taking it away like they do on trikes.

Name:	TiresToDump.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	265220

There's a good chance someone will climb into the trailer and take them home instead.

--
    Yes, that wheel was on the back, on the right ride, an OE wheel was on the left, caused it to track or pull a little to the right, Now it could have been low on air or flat ( I may have been imagining it), I was changing tires anyway so it didn't matter much, that is how I bought it. I bought another IPT wheel with the same dual bolt pattern and offset, sand blasted both, painted to match and put them on the rear of the trike, with a OE wheel up front, this nets me a factory wheel to use somewhere else as a front if need be. I have found wheels from $39 to $65 on ebay like this one. Not perfect but keeps us rolling.

MrC.

My Addiction
    85 200m "Tallahassee"
    84 200x "SouthPort"
    84 200x "Van Halen"
    84 250r "lucky"
    85 250sx "Enterprise"
    85 350x "The Money Pit"
    85 350x Code Red
    86 250r "Unicorn"
    86 trx250r
    88 Lt250r Suzuki

--
    Heck, I'd use the trail pros, resell on a trike or whatever, they wear like iron and get good grip. They just aren't ideal for a sport machine, put it on a utility machine and they are fine. My uncle had a pair on a TRX125, he abused the snot out of that thing for like 20 years and he sold it with the tires still looking like new lol.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    My uncle had a pair on a TRX125, he abused the snot out of that thing for like 20 years and he sold it with the tires still looking like new lol.
    Right there; that's the problem. I'm not dealing with them for that long.

They do have good traction in the dry, but in mud they just slick over and on wet rocks they don't grip (too hard and no flex).

I wouldn't even like to sell a hardtail trike to a noob if it had TrailPros on it. They totally destroy the ride quality and make it a miserable experience, especially if it was something with a rigid fork. About the only way to make them have give would be to use bead lock wheels and run them with no air, but then they're still heavy and dead feeling.

Gawd, I very, very much dislike , TrailPros. May as well use one of those agricultural chevron tread tires. At least they do good in mud.

In a pinch, they can be swapped to the opposite sides to run them backwards, for sand and snow. Can't run a TrailPro backwards, they're non-directional.
    Last edited by ATC King; 11-21-2020 at 10:18 PM.

--
    Odd, they work great in the mud up here, we don't have rock though, just sand, mud, dirt, and here and there we have gray clay but not everywhere like the red clay down south (Indiana/Kentucky). Knobby tires do slightly worse up here for mud vs trail pros. Guess it all comes down to environment. For the tires I got for my 200es, I would have gladly taken trail pros, but they were more expensive and I was a teen with no money. I got a set of 3 tires for $100, the rear two the store manager said they sold to me below cost ($30 each) and the knobby front was $35 if I remember right, tax and such and $100.

I've messed around a little with tractor style tires, the only ones I'd even think about running would be the highlifter outlaws (the originals, 2 play side wall). I think I have a pic of them on here, 25in was too small for a 250es though, the tread made the tires act like around 23in in mud and snow so it bottomed out too easily. Had a guy that couldn't believe I could go through more than his 4x4 quad (with effectively stock tires), so I followed him everywhere he went and he got stuck. Then he took me to his buddies place and tried to get me stuck in a deep water hole (over the seat deep). I got hung up on a stump but was able to back up and go around it lol. He wouldn't stop bugging me about the tires after that and ended up selling them to him for $200, I think I paid $50 for them. Really didn't want to get rid of them till I had something else to replace them with, but at that price I couldn't turn it down.

I found the pics, also added the tires I hate xD, they get alright traction, but if you get the machine leaning at all or on uneven ground the machine becomes unpredictable since the edge of the tire spins really easily, and the center will suddenly get traction when it goes down. My 350x bucked me off the first day I had it doing donuts in sand. Seems like every machine I get comes with them too, I have atleast 5 sets, even my 250sx has them. Btw pics are from TF 2015 except the first one.

I never had tailpros in clay so no clue how they'd do in that kind of situation, I suspect they'd clog up pretty easy on an under powered machine, just like the tires that were on my 350 warrior, had to be in 2nd gear floored to get them to clean out and I'm not normally the kind of person that just floors a machine in mud, it was just how those crappy tires worked.

Here's the same tires I don't like in the mud on my property.

Here's a 250sx with worn out tires trying to go through the stuff lol.

Anyway, if you was local, I'd trade you the tires I don't like for the tires you don't like xD.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0222.jpg   20140621_195514.jpg   20140621_195523.jpg   20140621_195551.jpg  

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    Anyway, if you was local, I'd trade you the tires I don't like for the tires you don't like xD.
    For sure.

There's no local trike riders here anymore. It's 99 percent SxSs now.

The way it works at our dump and transfer stations, if someone see's something they want, they can usually take it. If it's anything with possible value other than scrap, many people will set it next to the dumpster instead of in it.

I've quit even trying to give stuff away. It takes time (my time) to post FREE stuff, and there's always some boneheads trying to make a simple thing, complicated. I take stuff to the dump, done, without me trying to communicate with someone who can barely spell well enough for me to understand it.

--
    ATC King I had the same experience as you did in the mud with Trail Pros. They were just horrible. They also wouldn't hold air for more than about 2 1/2 days. I even tried tire sealer in them with no improvements. After all that, I can't stand them either. I know a guy who only rides his KLF185 around town on the pavement so even the Trail Pros wear down pretty fast. If i ever get a trike with them on it, he's always ready to buy them from me. I'll usually sell them to him at $20 for all three.

--
    For usable tires, I could throw them at the end of my drive way and within a day or two I'm sure they'd be gone. No dump trips needed for me, but I live way out in the country and there's a lot of people that scavenge (scrappers and such).

For the tires that won't hold air, get some soapy water and spray it on the bead and valve stem and find the leak, it's generally a pretty simple process. Valve stems go bad pretty often. If it was a thin walled tire the side wall could be possible, or if it's ran over a nail the main tread could have a hole in it. Mechanics (atleast in my area) have a metal tub they fill with water to find the leak (look for bubbles). Here's the modern plastic version

https://www.focusst.org/threads/righ...5/#post-770324

And a pic of the metal one.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...eak-1996440860

Don't forget to check the valve core too, the stem could be fine but the core leaks. I suspect the problem was pitted rims and the harder rubber compound unless it had a nail hole in it. I've ran into some trailer and car tires that were horrible for sealing up, but they were manufactured with the bead size slightly too big. Could tell that because you could de-bead them basically by standing on the side wall. The trailer I have in mind might have just been ran with low tires for a long time and wore out that section of the tire since the side walls were really thick and the tire would hold it's shape even flat.

Anyway, not going to twist anyone's arm to use trail pros, just wish they were more local so I could get a bit more hands on experience at little to no cost lol. $20 for a set of 3 would be nice, could have an on hand spare encase there's ever trouble on a trip.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //