//ArrowChat Code

Thread: will this work on a 82 185s?

--

will this work on a 82 185s?

my 82 185s smokes really bad, spits oil out the exhaust.
    https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...eHuAYsQgjYIqgg
    will this work on a 82 185s? jim
    81 185s
    82 185s with 85 200s motor
    suspended 185s
    85 atc70
    1984 200s
    85 350x 3rd owner
    and a 72 ct70

projects coming along

85 200s
    81 suspended 185s (can't believe I came across 2)
    1982? 185s

--
    Nope , wrong cylinder , look at the other pictures in the ad , has a different type of timing chain tensioner setup .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Actually.... They will work. I know a 200 with one of those on it and i helped put it together!!

The stock style tensioner for the cam chain works fine, its held by a bolt on the head. These jugs have the correct notch for the front cam chain guide, they were just made for a different style tensioner mechanism to be mounted on the back of the jug, kind of like how the tensioner on a 250ES works, it pushes on the back of the cam chain tensioner to bow it.

So how do you make one of these work? Easy... Make a gasket and a block off plate for the tensioner hole on the back of the jug. We just cut a gasket by hand from some gasket sheet material and then once we got the shape right we transferred that to a piece of 1/8" thick aluminum sheet, cut it out with my portable bandsaw, and fine tuned and rounded it with a belt sander. Ended up making a really nice block off plate, just had to drill the holes in it and bolt it up with the gasket. Other then that it bolts onto the stock bottom end no problem, the head bolts right on no issues, everything else is practically the same except for that oval shaped hole for a rear mounted tensioner. Just block it off like deleting the mechanical fuel pump on an old Chevy.... LOL
    Last edited by kb0nly; 10-30-2020 at 09:13 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1984 Honda ATC200ES "Big Red"
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"
    1988 TRX300FW "Project Quad" Still in progress....

--
    Pretty sure this is the one the guy bought and brought to me for the rebuild, its a stock bore size for an ATC200, 63.5mm. This one shows it comes with a gasket for that tensioner hole, i didn't see that with the one he brought me, would have made making the plate a bit easier cause we could have traced the included gasket.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Honda-A...temCondition=3

There is a lot of them on eBay if you search for ATC200 cylinder. So im not for sure that was the one he bought but they all look to be about the same.
    Last edited by kb0nly; 10-30-2020 at 09:19 PM.
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"

--
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0nly View Post
    There is a lot of them on eBay if you search for ATC200 cylinder. So im not for sure that was the one he bought but they all look to be about the same.
    Thank you for verifying this. I've been looking at these for a year.

Some things I'd like to point out:

There are at least two different versions. The link you posted has the one with seven cooling fins. There are others with eight. The ones with eight are taller, and most likely for the Honda CRF motorcycles, which have taller cylinders. Some sellers include the physical dimensions, but they're few and far between. Typical with Chinese parts dealers.

These appear to have the larger cooling fins, like the 200X cylinders.

Some of the sellers have high numbers of these sold, so the word must be out for the ATC and early XR/XL crowd, but this is the first confirmed fit I've read about.

I certainly haven't seen any long-term reports, but compared to the crack smoking prices of reconditioned cylinders on EBay, these are worth a shot.

BTW, it's easy and inexpensive enough to buy a tensioner that fits these. Whether or not it'll replace the OEM Honda tensioner, IDK. That's something I'll experiment with if I buy one.
    Last edited by ATC King; 10-31-2020 at 12:08 AM.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    What model do you have to search for to find a tensioner that fits this new style jug? I did a little searching but i wasn't seeing them, but i suspect its just because i am not searching for the right bike model that these would normally go on.

Thanks for the extra info.. I assume then that the ones with 8 cooling fins would be too tall for the ATC200's stroke? I will have to look at those measurements, i have a 200 jug in my spare parts horde that i can take measurements off of. I got one saved for the day i need to do another top end on either of mine, one is bored out to max, and the other is on its second oversize, so i might also buy one of these cheap chinese ones and stash it away for a rainy day as well.

I know one of the ATC facebook groups i am on made mention of these last year, i never dug deeper into it, but then i got handed one in a box along with the parts of a 200 motor and was asked to make it work. And i did, and it was simple. And it runs great, no smoke, no noise, purrs like a kitten. I will say though, that if your going to use one of these, there is cheaper sellers that have them without the pistons and rings, i would prefer a Wiseco piston and ring set, gap the rings to match etc.

My 81 doesn't smoke at all, my 84 200ES does smoke a bit on startup, i think she needs valve guide seals again, last time was about ten years ago, and she actually gets used pretty heavily. But i like having spare parts, something breaks i just get to work.
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"

--
    The one I had in hand was definitely not going to work , cylinder and piston deck heights were off .
    Good to know some will work though .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    On that linke if you click view on ebay, then more details you get to the actual ebay listing, weird how you have to jump through hoops to see the real page. Anyway here's what it says, odd since the only ATC200 made after 86 was the ATC200X. I guess typical sign of a chinese seller, either they forget details like that when they are making more listings off the same base listing, or they really have no clue what they fit, just copy something and sell it. Price is incredible for what it is, if it works on anything it's well worth it even if it doesn't last the longest. Maybe throw a quality piston and set of rings in with quality gaskets and have something that should last pretty well. Could measure the bore and make sure it's the right size, square, and true.

Note: This kit works for most of models after 1986's, but it is not sure for the older model.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by shortline10 View Post
    The one I had in hand was definitely not going to work , cylinder and piston deck heights were off .
    Good to know some will work though .
    Was it a 8 fins or 7 fins? I might buy one of the 7 fin ones and when i get it i can measure it up compared to a stock cylinder and stock piston, i have a bunch of stock parts i took off a 200 that had a blown out bottom end, bad chain wrap at high speed really fubar'd the case and we tossed that years ago but i kept the rest of it for spares. I messaged one of the sellers but they haven't responded. I also found these cylinders available on AliExpress, and a couple of the listings had some drawings with measurements, so i can compare to those as well when i get time to dig out the OEM parts and measure them.

Overall, $50-60 for a complete jug and piston kit, not bad! I wish i had another 200 motor to work on, i would get one of these and do a picture by picture build to show it works. But i can say, the one i did, worked, and it worked great. And now i see a bunch of them come with the gasket for the tensioner opening, so you could just trace that on some plate and make a cover easy.

I still can't find a tensioner that matches these, i must be searching for the wrong part or model. Not that it matters for ATC use, but i was just curious to see one.
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    Could measure the bore and make sure it's the right size, square, and true.
    Sometimes, you're better off not knowing.

For the price, and if it works reasonably well, I wouldn't ask any more of it.

--
    kb0nly, I've been looking at these, but real specs are a guess. From everything I've seen the seven fin ones seem correct for the ATCs and the eight fin ones seem popular with the CRF150 group as a cheap big bore option.

I'm not saying which ones to use for certain, because I haven't actually used one. The only trike I have that NEEDS a fresh piston and cylinder is my 200ES, because it's very weak. I'm not pulling that engine anytime soon, just on the amount of work other projects need right now. Those piston/cylinder kits are price low enough that cost shouldn't be an issue for most people, it's just the time constraint of doing it, and then, the cam chain, guides, and probably head work will be needed, so expect time enough for a complete top end rebuild.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    kb0nly, I've been looking at these, but real specs are a guess. From everything I've seen the seven fin ones seem correct for the ATCs and the eight fin ones seem popular with the CRF150 group as a cheap big bore option.

I'm not saying which ones to use for certain, because I haven't actually used one. The only trike I have that NEEDS a fresh piston and cylinder is my 200ES, because it's very weak. I'm not pulling that engine anytime soon, just on the amount of work other projects need right now. Those piston/cylinder kits are price low enough that cost shouldn't be an issue for most people, it's just the time constraint of doing it, and then, the cam chain, guides, and probably head work will be needed, so expect time enough for a complete top end rebuild.
    If i get a chance i will have to rebuild another one with one of these kits, just for grins and to take some pictures. I can probably nearly put one together with spare parts, i think i have a good bottom end stashed away that i could put a new top end on, but i don't know if i have a good head right now. I have a couple with badly worn cam bearing journals. I was working on a project to bore out and put a bushing in one of the spare heads i have but that project got put aside for time better spent on more urgent items. Maybe this winter i can get back to it. I made a nice bushing on the lathe and was getting ready to bore the head and rocker cover to take the bushing but then got sidetracked... I will revisit it!

200 top ends take me a couple afternoons if i have all the parts, a chain drive 200 i can do in like one day if i crunch it into my schedule. The 200ES though, when i did mine that was a lot longer, probably a few afternoons at least if not four, its a pain in the rear dealing with the driveshaft. I had mine out twice, cause the first time i did a top end then the second time the seal on the crankshaft went right after putting it back together. I got really good at it, i can get the motor out of that 200ES in probably an hour, getting it back in takes a little more time and effort but i got a method to get it back in and hook up the driveshaft that doesn't require any wrenching on the rear end so its pretty quick.

The 200 i just rebuilt for my wife i could have had that done in a single afternoon had i only had the parts, and shipping is so slow these days. Sure was fun doing and easy chain drive rebuild though, drop the motor out, rebuild and toss it back in, so easy.
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //