//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Takeout Engine questions

ATCKevin is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

Takeout Engine questions

Sorry to beat a dead horse if this has been discussed time and time again. What was the deal with the takeout engines from the ATC ban? What takeout engines are out there? How did people acquire them? What are they worth? I saw one on eBay a couple months ago for $4000! (350x). Is it considered a “sin” to use one in a restoration project?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

--
    I am wondering the same thing I acquired a 250R takeout from an old Honda dealer employee about 10 years ago. Is currently mounted in a restro/mod project that stalled out (marriage & kids). Seeing some of the prices lately makes me wonder if i should just sell the engine to finish the build.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by rugbyflanker View Post
    I am wondering the same thing I acquired a 250R takeout from an old Honda dealer employee about 10 years ago. Is currently mounted in a restro/mod project that stalled out (marriage & kids). Seeing some of the prices lately makes me wonder if i should just sell the engine to finish the build.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Glad I’m not the only one who has had marriage and kids alter their projects getting finished! I bet a liquid R takeout would be worth some serious coin.

Arky-X is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    I know I've read on here that dirtcrasher has or had several 350X engines.
    I've seen some 250R engines too but mainly the x engines.

I ran across one in the early 90s in the classified ads in a local paper. $100.....no carb. I put this one (86) on my 85x and still have it.
    Brother and I ran across 4 more for about $200-250 each from a high school auto shop. We sold those to guys racing the 250x/300ex back in the day. After one of our buddies smoked them with his 350x/250x machine......they were willing to pay $700-900 for them. Of course his was built by TC racing so they were still getting smoked. He also got his from a high school auto shop which is where many went (high school or vo-tech schools) after they were parted.

I ran across another one in mid-90s for $300 that was listed in the local classifieds. Still sitting on this one for now. If they start fetching much more than $4k....may have to let it go......that's a lot of coke and hookers!

Gave my original 85 engine away to my son's friend who wanted to try put it on a motorcycle. Don't think he made it too far with that project.

I also wondered about other parts when they were parted. I have a shock and an axle that are pristine and wonder if those were parts from dismantled trikes. Also got these in the early 90s before the insane prices creeped in.

--
    [QUOTE=ATCKevin;1515097]Glad I’m not the only one who has had marriage and kids alter their projects getting finished! I bet a liquid R takeout would be worth some serious coin.

Haha - you are defiantly not the only one. Family time has really cramped my shop time. I am really not too far away. Started with this frame I found at a swap meet and made the contact I eventually got the take out engine from at the same meet. It did take 2 more years before I convinced him to sell me the motor though! I had everything blasted and powered.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WP_20140402_004.jpg   WP_20140308_005.jpg   WP_20140205_003.jpg   WP_20131011_018.jpg   V__E3CF.jpg   WP_20131011_008.jpg  

WP_20131011_003.jpg   WP_20131011_007.jpg   WP_20131011_006.jpg  

--
    Awesome looking R so far! I’ve never been fortunate to ride a liquid yet. I want to know how they compare to my Tecate.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Arky-X View Post
    I know I've read on here that dirtcrasher has or had several 350X engines.
    I've seen some 250R engines too but mainly the x engines.

I ran across one in the early 90s in the classified ads in a local paper. $100.....no carb. I put this one (86) on my 85x and still have it.
    Brother and I ran across 4 more for about $200-250 each from a high school auto shop. We sold those to guys racing the 250x/300ex back in the day. After one of our buddies smoked them with his 350x/250x machine......they were willing to pay $700-900 for them. Of course his was built by TC racing so they were still getting smoked. He also got his from a high school auto shop which is where many went (high school or vo-tech schools) after they were parted.

I ran across another one in mid-90s for $300 that was listed in the local classifieds. Still sitting on this one for now. If they start fetching much more than $4k....may have to let it go......that's a lot of coke and hookers!

Gave my original 85 engine away to my son's friend who wanted to try put it on a motorcycle. Don't think he made it too far with that project.

I also wondered about other parts when they were parted. I have a shock and an axle that are pristine and wonder if those were parts from dismantled trikes. Also got these in the early 90s before the insane prices creeped in.
    Haha coke and hookers . Hypothetically speaking, if I had a 86 takeout engine, would it direct swap into my 85 X? I know they clutch cable mount is different between the two. Is the wiring the same?

BarnBoy is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Where's Dirtcrasher, he'll give ya the scoop on takeout motors. There still out there, you just gotta jump on the deal when/if you find it.

I'm wishing I bought a 200M takeout motor listed on eBay about 5 yrs ago. Priced @ $800, thats really a bargain compared to what you spend to totally rebuild one like new. Same goes for 350x, although they were/are much more sought after.
    1984 HONDA ATC200M - OG, mid-restoration
    1981 HONDA ATC200 - future build
    1981 HONDA ATC185S - parts
    1984 ATC200X - roller, future build
    1984 Honda ATC250r - in a million pieces- ISO grab bar, PM if you have one

Da velder

Arky-X is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by ATCKevin View Post
    Haha coke and hookers . Hypothetically speaking, if I had a 86 takeout engine, would it direct swap into my 85 X? I know they clutch cable mount is different between the two. Is the wiring the same?

The clutch cable had to be routed different as you noted. But I don't remember anything else that we did differently......that doesn't mean there aren't differences.

I thought I heard the voltage regulator is different but my 85 regulator worked fine.
    Also something about the motor mounts or bolts.....maybe diameter???? Once again, didn't change any of that and it worked.

Sorry for not knowing for sure but I remember reading about some of those other differences that didn't seem to be an issue for me 20+ years ago with the swap.

--
    Guess I will find out this winter about the engine swap. Thanks guys

--
    Guess I will find out this winter about the engine swap. Thanks guys

There's a guy on Honda Hoarders FB page with 4 1986 350x take out motors, 2k apiece and $150 shipping. Thats a deal considering what ive seen some go for....

Da velder

--
    Quote Originally Posted by BarnBoy View Post
    There's a guy on Honda Hoarders FB page with 4 1986 350x take out motors, 2k apiece and $150 shipping. Thats a deal considering what ive seen some go for....
    Yeah I saw that. That sounds like a much more reasonable price compared to the one I saw on eBay

--
    Yeah I saw that. That sounds like a much more reasonable price compared to the one I saw on eBay

Yep...I mean its still a load of cash but I'd be surprised if you could truly build an equivalent motor for less. Even then you'd have parts with wear, etc. Itd be the way to go if you have money...

Da velder

--
    They are still out there, some dude on FB found 6 1986 - 350X motors, shocks and forks 2 weeks ago, he wants 2200$ each with carbs and kickers!! I bought some NOS 350X forks and he emailed me that the guy he bought everything from found more stuff. He said he just found more.

I ended up with 5 86 350X motors and never paid more than 900$ for any of them shipped. I also found 2 86 200X motors for 650$ and 750$ I believe. Then my local buddy was building an 87 and he knew I'd bid big to get the 3rd one I've ever seen, but I told him he could have it, I wanted to help. Worked out great because 6 years later I bought his entire completely restored 87 200X for 1900$ for my buddy, buddy sold it to me. So I have all 3 86 200X take out motors I have ever seen. Just last summer 2020 I found a NOS bottom end for 500$ shipped, it had 2 broken ends where the bolts thread in the center cases. Someone obviously tried to get it apart, couldn't and put the wrong screws in 2 holes. I can TIG them and they'll be just fine.

A good price for a take out 250R or 350X these days is 2K - 2500$, Ebay usually grabs 3K but they lose 12% to fees etc. I wouldn't sell mine, but that's pricing from my head.

Nothing was ever "banned", Honda merely agreed to stop producing new trikes and stop further sales in 1986;That agreement has now expired. Anyhow, so every dealer had to "dispose of" the ATC's they had in stock. They cut off the neck with the VIN and Japan credited them. They cut the wires and cables to the motors and pulled them with everything else attached. Some went right in the dumpster, others were saved by the dealer or employee o and the rest were given to high and tech schools. But, they weren't practical for kids in power tech, they needed a simple Briggs type motor. Over the years the schools threw them away, or someone figured out the value and brought them home. You will see these motors for another few decades, they are everywhere. Sadly, these dealers often tossed away every single part, they got reimbursed and didn't care. They also may have felt that a complete ban on 3 wheelers was on the horizon so they saved nothing. new seats and fenders right in the dumpster...

Typically you mainly find the 85 250R and the 85/86 350X motors. The 86 250R and 86 200X also show up, but not as often. I have only seen 1 air cooled 250R take out motor and some 200S, 200M motors that "Brennys" (SP??) on Ebay, he managed to get his hands on a ton of them. Primarily you will find the majority are 1985 motors and I've never seen an 87 200X motor with the big kicker shaft, shouldered clutch pushrod, drilled oil oriface motor, they aren't out there from what I have seen.

The 1st 2 I installed I replaced the fiber clutch plates, the 3rd I left as was and beat the hell out of it for awhile before the clutch started slipping. I have never had a seal or gasket leak nor any other issue from sitting. They are basically a brand new perfect motor just like a new trike/bike would have. The biggest issue is shelf wear, these 350X motors run >100lbs and guys have been moving them around or they are sold a few times and get outside cosmetic damage as well. Some others are pristine. Biggest issue I see is when the cut the throttle cable they leave the hard metal 90 installed in the carburetor. During moving or shipping it is often bumped and it snaps off the top of the carb where the throttle cable threads in, so if you ever buy one ask them to remove that damn 90!!

People argue the price, but where do you get a "rebuilt" motor with all new gears, new shafts, new cranks, new cases, new clutch basket etc etc, you don't. You just re use what's good and replace the bad. IMO a take out motor is the best chance at putting in something that with oil changes and warming it up will last you 20 years.
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    I have a few takeout engines, a 250SX and a pair of ATC110's, all 1985 IIRC. How often do those come up?
    1985 Tri-Z 250
    1985 ATC250R

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //