//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Guy With An 84 200x

--

New Guy With An 84 200x

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and mostly joined so I could expand pictures that are posted on here BUT I figured id introduce myself and my basket case. I was at a buddies house roaming his property when I spotted a super clapped out 84 200x. I asked him what he was doing with the trike and he responded "get it out of my yard"...don't have to tell me twice. Anyways, I put it in that back of my truck, hauled it home and starting tinkering. Its missing a lot of parts and the parts it does have are in pretty pathetic condition.

Now, the rundown!

Missing:

Header pipe
    Muffler
    CDI
    Air box
    Front brake line

Unusable:

Front brake reservoir
    Tires
    Rear sprocket
    Front Fender
    Seat, clearly haha.

[IMG] the picture place[/IMG]

--
    Now that the bike was home with me it was time to attempt to figure out why it was parked. I borrowed a CDI from a friends trike, cleaned the carb, threw in some fuel and gave it a few kicks. I had tried to kick it over in my buddies yard and it felt like it had no compression but the spark plug was in by 2-3 threads so I was hopeful. Unfortunately, it would sputter but wouldn't run, the engine just doesn't have any compression.

Still feeling optimistic I decided to check to make sure someone hadn't over tightened the valves which could cause the compression issue. I discovered the head nuts were totally loose, not even hand tight. No wonder there is no compression! I tightened the head down hoping to improve the situation, checked the valves, and no compression.

At this point I started adding up cost of rebuilding the motor, plus sourcing my own CDI, plus head pipe and muffler, not to mention all the other parts. Feeling a bit disappointed I parked the trike for the night. The next morning I checked online for someone parting out a 200x with success! I ended up scoring a complete motor, and header pipe for $140, another $20 got me an air box. I took the motor home, wire wheeled it, painted it with high temp black and installed it. These motors are ridiculously easy to install, the whole thing was out and new one installed in less than 30 minutes. I then installed my old carb since I had already cleaned it. 3 kicks and she fired right up! Too loud with no muffler but she's a runner!

I also looked through my box of spare motorcycle levers and found a clutch lever which was missing when I got the trike which means one less thing to buy.

--
    Now that the bike was home with me it was time to attempt to figure out why it was parked. I borrowed a CDI from a friends trike, cleaned the carb, threw in some fuel and gave it a few kicks. I had tried to kick it over in my buddies yard and it felt like it had no compression but the spark plug was in by 2-3 threads so I was hopeful. Unfortunately, it would sputter but wouldn't run, the engine just doesn't have any compression.

Still feeling optimistic I decided to check to make sure someone hadn't over tightened the valves which could cause the compression issue. I discovered the head nuts were totally loose, not even hand tight. No wonder there is no compression! I tightened the head down hoping to improve the situation, checked the valves, and no compression.

At this point I started adding up cost of rebuilding the motor, plus sourcing my own CDI, plus head pipe and muffler, not to mention all the other parts. Feeling a bit disappointed I parked the trike for the night. The next morning I checked online for someone parting out a 200x with success! I ended up scoring a complete motor, and header pipe for $140, another $20 got me an air box. I took the motor home, wire wheeled it, painted it with high temp black and installed it. These motors are ridiculously easy to install, the whole thing was out and new one installed in less than 30 minutes. I then installed my old carb since I had already cleaned it. 3 kicks and she fired right up! Too loud with no muffler but she's a runner!

I also looked through my box of spare motorcycle levers and found a clutch lever which was missing when I got the trike which means one less thing to buy.

--
    Looks like a good start for a project. Those tires have seen some use, toasty.
    1984 Honda 250R
    1985 ATC 250SX
    1985 Tri-Z 250
    1983 Honda 250R
    1986 Honda 350X
    1983 Yamaha Tri-Moto 175
    1983 Honda Big Red 200

1981 Honda ATC 110

jasong_10 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Welcome and enjoy the build man.
    Jason

85 ATC 250R - restored stock other than 18" rears, nerf bars, Honda key switch, 14T front sprocket, and white tank and plastics (except rad shrouds)

87 ATC 200X - restored stock other than 18" rears and nerf bars

84 TRX 200 - rough but complete budget restore for wife and eventually daughters to bum around on

Eton Viper 50cc - oldest daughter's current ride

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamaha Tri-Moto View Post
    Looks like a good start for a project. Those tires have seen some use, toasty.
    What do you mean? They aren’t supposed to be slicks? Haha. The tires are impressively bald, the registration is also from 1991. This old girl has been sitting a long time.

--

--
    Good morning, welcome to the site. Nice score.
    * 1970 US90 Red
    * 1978 ATC 90/180 Helm&Son, Bandito /3D springer. ( Spaghetti Winder )
    * 1978 ATC 90/128 Bandito / Ace Williams Springer.
    * 1980 ATC 110/ ? Helm&Son, Dickson Full Suspended
    * 1981 ATC 110 MTC Full Supended
    * 1985 ATC 200s
    *1986 ATC 250R/310 2"+ Westcoast Swinger

http://www.ebay.com/usr/jwheeler760

--
    Thanks to JWheeler I got a muffler today.

Got home and slapped it on. Since running the bike was now bearable I fired it up and played with the carb a bit. Once it would idle and not die I slapped the seat on and took her for a rip around the neighborhood! I am not sure how long its been since it was ridden, last reg was 1991. Either way, I cant wait to get some new tires and then I can start on cosmetics. I still need to work on the front brake master and source a front brake line. Currently the master cylinder looks like this

--
    Cool ol Nova.
    * 1978 ATC 90/180 Pauter PJ1 / Springer "Team BAPP" Bike *

* 1980 ATC 110/180 "Danny's Machine Works" 3D Sprint Dune Bike *

* Nicholson 500 Race Bike *

* HPATC Yamaha RD350 "Big Moe" Trike *

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Farrow View Post
    Cool ol Nova.
    Thanks! I just finished up putting an LS in it. I’m a car nerd so I have a few modified cars.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoDoorDime View Post
    Thanks to JWheeler I got a muffler today.

Got home and slapped it on. Since running the bike was now bearable I fired it up and played with the carb a bit. Once it would idle and not die I slapped the seat on and took her for a rip around the neighborhood! I am not sure how long its been since it was ridden, last reg was 1991. Either way, I cant wait to get some new tires and then I can start on cosmetics. I still need to work on the front brake master and source a front brake line. Currently the master cylinder looks like this
    I swapped out for 300ex front brake Master and it was crazy cheap. Need to get the clutch so it feels the same .

Welcome great looking trike

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

--
    Well, they are multiplying. At this point my original bike runs fantastic and I'm having a blast ripping it around the neighborhood. I got a roller and a condition unknown motor from a fellow forum member. Slapped it together with the parts I had laying around and besides a horrible oil leak it runs pretty good. I am looking for a muffler if anyone has a spare one in San Diego county. If not, ebay is always an option. The 200 in the background is a buddies that I am storing since I convinced him to buy it, ha.

jasong_10 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    It's official, you're hooked, lol.
    Jason

85 ATC 250R - restored stock other than 18" rears, nerf bars, Honda key switch, 14T front sprocket, and white tank and plastics (except rad shrouds)

87 ATC 200X - restored stock other than 18" rears and nerf bars

84 TRX 200 - rough but complete budget restore for wife and eventually daughters to bum around on

Eton Viper 50cc - oldest daughter's current ride

--
    Quote Originally Posted by jasong_10 View Post
    It's official, you're hooked, lol.
    Don't I know it! Planning on taking a camping trip in the next couple weeks so me and a couple buddies can acquaint ourselves with them in a more open area than my cul-de-sac.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //