//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Need some help with YT175

--

Need some help with YT175

Hi guys I recently acquired an 83 tri moto 175. I'm having trouble getting it started. I checked spark it's got plenty, I drained and replaced gas, new carburetor and air filter. It will start once in a blue moon but soon after die and won't start again till it feels like it lol. Any ideas or things I might be missing? Any help much appreciated.

--
    Check the compression. the 175s have a fuel pump so make sure your getting fuel as well.
    Currently : trx400fw, ct70, 250es,200x, xl80s, 350x, 350x, 225DX, trx300

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Homeless Dave View Post
    Check the compression. the 175s have a fuel pump so make sure your getting fuel as well.
    Getting plenty of fuel just checked again. Also I don't know if this has anything to do with it but the pull start kickback is ridiculous, read somewhere the engine can be off time?

--
    Does anyone know how to time these motors?

--
    The kickback is typically a sign of the ignition timing be slightly off. I haven't had to set timing on one of these, so I am not of much help. get yourself a shop manual, it will save a lot of headaches.
    Currently : trx400fw, ct70, 250es,200x, xl80s, 350x, 350x, 225DX, trx300

--
    Think I got it figured out. I read somewhere that the pull start could be wound in reverse and sure enough it was and was spinning the motor over the wrong way. Fixed it and it starts right up.

--
    Ok so it's running pretty good but allot of excessive smoke coming out of the exhaust and oil slightly dribbling out of the exhaust when you turn the it off. My question is does it have to be rejetted. It's the stock carb and the bike has an aftermarket pipe and a k&n filter?

--
    Remember that this is a two stroke so extra smoke and oil in the exhaust are normal.

--
    Crank seals are a common problem with these trikes, If it is smoking excessively, to test, drain out all of the transmission oil & start . If the smoke has cleared up, theres your problem.

82 Honda ATC 185s SOLD
    82 Honda ATC 185s restoration project (Restored & SOLD)
    81 Yamaha Tri-Moto YT125h (SOLD )
    82 Yamaha Tri-Moto YT175J
    83 Yamaha Tri-Moto YT175k
    83 Yamaha Tri-Moto YT175k (SOLD )
    85 Yamaha Tri-Z YTZ250N

--
    new member also i bought a 1983 yamaha 125ytk tri moto when I turn handlebars slightly brakes seem to grab and once they are straighten back out it gives any ideals what could cause this.Also oils sending unit the that sit behind motor on rightside,by rear wheel, has a hose going to motor,the insert from unit to hose has broken off can it be fixed looked at part diaphram and looks like an insert and spring that goes into unit?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by jose1234 View Post
    new member also i bought a 1983 yamaha 125ytk tri moto when I turn handlebars slightly brakes seem to grab and once they are straighten back out it gives any ideals what could cause this.Also oils sending unit the that sit behind motor on rightside,by rear wheel, has a hose going to motor,the insert from unit to hose has broken off can it be fixed looked at part diaphram and looks like an insert and spring that goes into unit?
    check your routing of brake cable with the manual- also possibly wrong cable used, see if you can get a number of part from cable sleeve. As for the oil line question, a picture will help clarify.

82 Honda ATC 185s SOLD
    82 Honda ATC 185s restoration project (Restored & SOLD)
    81 Yamaha Tri-Moto YT125h (SOLD )
    82 Yamaha Tri-Moto YT175J
    83 Yamaha Tri-Moto YT175k
    83 Yamaha Tri-Moto YT175k (SOLD )
    85 Yamaha Tri-Z YTZ250N

--
    trying to figure out how to upload pics when I do I will send thank you

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //