//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Squarebody

--
    I got talked into rebuilding the Edelbrock by a poster on here, about to start the disassembly. Yes I was gonna try running from can to carb to prevent spending money. Well 60 dollar kit and have to work on it instead of 3 wheelers. I gotta get my priorities straight.
    Now I guess I'm learning everything about the Edebrock carburetor, thats something I never wanted to care about or learn, an automobile carburetor.
    The videos and information on the internet I believe, has ended up making my free time disappear. Its wonderful but doing everything myself is making me old, lol.

--
    Well, time has come. Sure didnt want to do this but maybe i will get the old girl plated again. Every young kid wants it for first vehicle but pretry much what i stared driving as a pre teen. I do love the 81-87.
    I don't know how but the old Chevy ran good once started. When I get it back together I hope it runs, lol. Jets I think I will leave alone, they aren't wanting to come out very much. Anyway, here is a picture of a 20 year old carb thats been on ethanal gas.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210328_135804.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	267213

--
    Well, got the full rebuild kit done on the carb a few days after I removed it. Put the new mechanical fuel pump on. Started the motor ran like a scalded dog. Let it sit for a week and back to dumping gas down carburetor to get it started. Crank, crank, crank, then battery dead, same deal. Fuel bleeds off through the fuel pump i guess and won't prime the gas to the carburetor. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210418_130325.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	267413
    I have helped nothing . I already put a valve to shut fuel off after I shut it down before the carb rebuild. All fuel lines are new or in good shape. Needs to run every other day I guess. Anymore ideas?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fieldy View Post
    Anymore ideas?
    A Ford?

That is really weird. I would think there should be enough fuel left in your carb to fire after a week and run for a few seconds regardless of your pumps condition.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    A Ford?

That is really weird. I would think there should be enough fuel left in your carb to fire after a week and run for a few seconds regardless of your pumps condition.
    Ford=nope!
    Then it will cost me $2,000.00 to change spark plugs.

--
    Just thinking about getting a hi torque starter. Maybe bigger battery cables. Must not be turning motor fast enough. Once primed and been running, just takes a flick of the key and purring.

--
    I found a video where a dude uses a low cost electric fuel pump near the tank. He has it on a momentary switch.
    Once the carb is primed and vehicle starts the electric pump is deactivated and the mechanical fuel pump pulls fuel through the deactivated electric pump.
    I guess I will try this next time I mess with it. Some may say just buy a good electric fuel pump and regulator and forget it. I would imagine those need rebuilt every few years. Anyone have experience with them?
    I had another 305 bored .30 over with a Holley and a torker 2 intake. I never had an issue with starts.

Still gonna get a hi- torque starter first and see if it helps any. I think the bendix is going out of the starter thats on it.

I wanted to add that my other motor never ran on ethanol gas. The theory i am watching is that after 6 days most of today's gasolines evaporates from the carburetor. I now believe this is the true problem.
    Last edited by fieldy; 04-21-2021 at 10:18 AM.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //