//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Squarebody

--

Squarebody

Have an 81 4x4 with a 305 in it. Rebuilt everything mechanical years ago. The thing always is hard to get started.
    The fuel pump is good but starter's not shimmed correctly. I managed to make that work before but since I don't drive it every day it can be a handful to start and move.
    I have heard electric pumps go bad alot so I have this idea about hanging an auxiliary fuel jug from the side of the open hood and going directly to the Edelbrock 4 barrel carb. Will there be enough pressure from gravity to start and move the truck around? If it catches on fire...not to worried, pretty much have fire each time i dump gas down the carburetor from a coke bottle.

Edit... was planning on sticking bolt in fuel hose from fuel pump on motor and having an empty fuel tank. Hope some mechanics could figure if this would work before I make a tank. Thanks.

Still editing... i only move it half dozen times a year to keep things working. I know my idea is, well not the best. Anyone have experience with the electric fuel pumps on these old v-8's?
    Last edited by fieldy; 11-14-2020 at 06:45 PM.

--
    I had an 82 and it had a mechanical fuel pump. Your 81 is electric?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    I had an 82 and it had a mechanical fuel pump. Your 81 is electric?
    It has the original mechanical pump. Takes a long time to get primed because it sits. Cheap electrical fuel pumps i have not tried but this maybe the best choice. Cheap is the key word here. Don't know if i will ever restore it but I ain't selling it for a while.
    When people test run v8 "hot rod" motors on engine stands do they use gravity tanks or how is that done?
    Last edited by fieldy; 11-15-2020 at 08:21 AM.

--
    Got it.

I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t use some thing like a motion pro fuel bottle from the hood. It would only provide some thing like 2 pounds of pressure routed directly to the carburetor, but that should be enough to get it started and keep it running at low rpm.

207wheelin is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    You can fill your carbs bowl through a vent on top of the carb. Some carbs have a tube that sticks up others just an opening near the carb throat. Let me know what carb you have and I'll send you a pic pointing out the bowl vent.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 207wheelin View Post
    You can fill your carbs bowl through a vent on top of the carb. Some carbs have a tube that sticks up others just an opening near the carb throat. Let me know what carb you have and I'll send you a pic pointing out the bowl vent.
    I will get you a picture or pm you on that. I have made an auxiliary fuel tank I plan on putting between the windshield and the raised up hood. I probably have $25 dollars in it and some pre-owned fittings. I bought a rubber seal fitting that is gas resistant. I will use gasoila to seal the pipe threads. I can put a 3/8ths inch barb for the truck and a 1/4" barb for the other projects.
    After the hole was drilled I realized it was gonna be hard to assemble. Like a monkey with a stick it took about 45 to thread and tighten.
    It is a 2 gallon jug and it should balance ok if I hang it from the handle in the shop.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201227_162416.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	630.2 KB 
ID:	265654

Name:	20201227_162535.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	265655

--
    Great idea and will come in handy for all your projects needing an auxiliary fuel source. I chuckled at the "monkey with a stick' description. I actually know what you're referring too, lol.
    Trikes
    1970/71 US 90 (Aquarius Blue)
    1970/71 US 90 (Future Project)
    1972/73 US 90 Camo Project (110 Big Bore)
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1977 ATC 90 w/83 110 motor (Fugly)
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

1965 Marketeer 3 Wheel Golf Cart with 1986 Honda 250 drivetrain

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-coopool
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-coolpool

--
    Thanks Coolpool, it had a nice filter in the jug neck but I had to rip it out of the jug with some needlenose pliers. I guess I can use an inline filter for small motors.
    Hoping it doesn't leak, if you notice the rubber washer has rings mounded into it.....which i didn't notice that or the filter under the cap till later. I did drill the hole where it was smooth and not pourous (think that's a word) so hopefully it won't have to be disassembled or have to experiment with epoxy. I was a chimpanzee scratching my head in chemistry class. I think I took that class, lol. Yeah I did remember just now and it didn't go well.

Now that I rethink that again, it was biology. No wonder I got my rubbers on backwards
    Last edited by fieldy; 12-28-2020 at 07:45 PM.

--
    There's no way it's going to leak any more than a 'safety' fuel can, being used to refuel a riding mower.

You're good to go. What you've essentially done is put a bulkhead fitting into a fuel can. You just saved some money by building your own instead of buying one.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by MidneightRider View Post
    Ive had 11 square bodies and probably 30 or 40 carbureted chevy small blocks. A dozen or 20 Edelbrock carbs.

What model is the carb?

Did you read the plugs?

My 305s would start with a key bump. Mechanical pumps, q-jets or edelbrock... dont matter.

The carb needs tuned or rebuilt.

If its above 600cfm, its too big.
    Its an Edelbrock I bought new in 2000, i will get a few pictures up and put model number of it. Truck just sits so much outside. I could try another mechanical pump I guess.
    I have a fuel shutoff valve before the carb I always shut after I've ran it. Runs good after I get it started though. Next day can be same ordeal with getting it started.
    It always fires if I dump fuel in the top of the carburetor.Thing is it takes several times of dumping fuel in top of carburetor to run by itself. Also I keep adding water remover and usually keep fresh gas in it. I will probably put another stock fuel pump on it before spring.
    Last edited by fieldy; 01-01-2021 at 02:00 PM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by MidneightRider View Post
    2000 was 20+ years ago. Sometimes I forget too.

It needs cleaned and tuned. Your idle circuits are lean. If its anything but a 1405 or 1406 (both 600cfm, 05 is manual choke) its probably too big for the application which makes it harder to tune. The model # is stamped on the flange
    I will check later today. Its a rainy nasty day. Thinking its a 600cfm.
    Will also try a new mechanical fuel pump before I have the carb looked at.
    How much does it cost for a rebuild on a carburetor?

--
    Got some shots of the carb. It's the 1405 with manual choke.

207 wheeling said there was a way to fill the bowls before I start it.

Putting up some pictures in about an hour.
    Happy new years guys!

Name:	20210101_132229.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	265855

--
    Yeah I want to fix it just might be next summer. I want to move it and run it couple times a month till then. Not wanting to fix it till then, just trying to get by till I want to start dumping some money in it again.

I will try a fuel pump first, then have the carb looked at. Thanks for the advice.

--

Name:	20210101_131906.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	265856

Name:	20210101_132153.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	265858

--
    can you just attach the hose right to the carb where the fuel line goes in from the pump?

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //