//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 86/87 200x Alternate Grab Bar/Taillight Options

jasong_10 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

86/87 200x Alternate Grab Bar/Taillight Options

I apologize ahead of time as I've posted on this topic a number of times already, it's just the longer I go without finding an OE/OE looking grab bar and taillight, the more discouraged I get . . .

So my latest idea is making an 83-85 grab bar and taillight work. I'm pretty sure the taillight wouldn't be a problem, I believe the housing assembly is the same for both generations so a couple fab-ed up L brackets and we'd be in business. The grab bar is what I'm not sure about. I know the mounting holes sizing/spacing is different but I would think the width should be the same or very close. So it seems like it could work if the mounting holes issue could be corrected.

Thoughts?
    Jason

85 ATC 250R - restored stock other than 18" rears, nerf bars, Honda key switch, 14T front sprocket, and white tank and plastics (except rad shrouds)

87 ATC 200X - restored stock other than 18" rears and nerf bars

84 TRX 200 - rough but complete budget restore for wife and eventually daughters to bum around on

Eton Viper 50cc - oldest daughter's current ride

--
    I use to just mod the rear of the franes to match trx450r 06+ grab bars.

jasong_10 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    I use to just mod the rear of the franes to match trx450r 06+ grab bars.
    Interested . . .

What's involved in that process?
    Jason

85 ATC 250R - restored stock other than 18" rears, nerf bars, Honda key switch, 14T front sprocket, and white tank and plastics (except rad shrouds)

84 TRX 200 - rough but complete budget restore for wife and eventually daughters to bum around on

--
    If you are on facebook maybe this is something that might work for you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1209...9644527138363/

--
    Quote Originally Posted by sledcrazyinCT View Post
    If you are on facebook maybe this is something that might work for you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1209...9644527138363/
    Thanks, I joined that group and a couple other ATC ones, it gives me more options to check in on.
    Jason

--
    Started attempt #2 of fabricating an OE looking grab bar tonight. Attempt #1 failed miserably as I found out conduit will not bend to a tight enough radius 90* bend even with a custom jig and the help of torches . . .

Amidst the failure of attempt #1, the idea for #2 was discovered. I spotted an old push lawn mower handle in the corner and thought, hey that already has the 90* degree bends that I need and it looks like the right diameter. So I grabbed the tape measure and it was the right diameter.

The plan is to essentially narrow the handle to the width of the frame, shorten it, and drill the needed holes to use the existing mounting points on the frame. If this is successful then I'll grab an 83-85 taillight assembly and bracket (way easier to get) and fab it up with some L brackets utilizing the rear most mounting points.

Tonight I got both the "halves" cut to size and the mounting holes drilled. Next I'll grab the needed hardware, do a final mock-up to make sure everything is right then call on my father-in-law who is a great metal worker to weld them together. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.
    Jason

--
    The right grab bar for the 2nd gen, and tail lights/mounts show up every few months. They are expensive, but, you have an 87 and anything else hurts the value if you were to ever sell.

EMT conduit and lawnmower push bars are very thin metal. You may be unhappy with how long it lasts you.

You can make your own grab bar, I've been making headlight guards for 13 years now, but you need a good bender and I never use heat...

Edit - If you can modify your frame, those TRX grab bars are only about 40$ new.

It amounts to making some short collars and threading them 8mm x 1.25, grinding off a couple old ones and relocating/welding them on your frame. If done well, no one would know but it won't be period correct, that may not matter to you. doesn't matter to me, I don't sell trikes.

I could whip up the threaded bushings very easily on the lathe...
    Last edited by Dirtcrasher; 11-29-2020 at 01:53 PM.
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher View Post
    The right grab bar for the 2nd gen, and tail lights/mounts show up every few months. They are expensive, but, you have an 87 and anything else hurts the value if you were to ever sell.

EMT conduit and lawnmower push bars are very thin metal. You may be unhappy with how long it lasts you.

You can make your own grab bar, I've been making headlight guards for 13 years now, but you need a good bender and I never use heat...

Edit - If you can modify your frame, those TRX grab bars are only about 40$ new.

It amounts to making some short collars and threading them 8mm x 1.25, grinding off a couple old ones and relocating/welding them on your frame. If done well, no one would know but it won't be period correct, that may not matter to you. doesn't matter to me, I don't sell trikes.

I could whip up the threaded bushings very easily on the lathe...
    Granted I've only been looking on Ebay and FB marketplace, but I've only come across one grab bar and a single taillight mount since this past March, lol. It was right after I picked it up in March and it was listed for $115 and I thought no way, I'll be able to get one for $50 . . . boy was I wrong, haha. I've since joined some FB ATC groups to expand the search.

Yeah I know it won't be the strongest but honestly it's really just for looks, I've only wheelied three or four times and they were on quads I used to have.

After my bending failures with this project, I figured much better equipment would be needed to accomplish what I wanted with the material I had.

I think I'm going to run with this plan for now. That way I don't have much $$ in it and if I luck out and get my hands on the actual 86/87 stuff in the future, it will still bolt right on. I'll definitely keep the 450r bar plan in the bank though and I'll get ahold of you about the bushings if I go that route.

Thanks Dirtcrasher
    Jason

--
    Got time in the garage this afternoon and puttered a little with the grab bar. Got to the hardware store just before they closed to get the mounting bolts to do the final mock up and I think it's going to look pretty good. Here's where we're at.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201129_162055.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	265367

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201129_161603.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	265368
    Jason

--
    You have to drill larger holes in the grab bar (lawn mower handle or other tubing) and weld in a solid bushing, or the tube just continues to crush as you tighten it, it has no support...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    You have to drill larger holes in the grab bar (lawn mower handle or other tubing) and weld in a solid bushing, or the tube just continues to crush as you tighten it, it has no support...
    Yup, the father-in-law mentioned it as well when I was talking to him about it. ID matching OD round stock was plan A but the more I think about it, the more I like your bushing idea . . .
    Jason

--
    You can probably use pieces of 3/8ths black pipe.

One bolt is 10mm on the 86/87 200X, the other 3 are 8mm clearance. If you need 3 + 1 = 4 bushings I can make them fairly easily, only 4$ to ship first class...

--
    You can probably use pieces of 3/8ths black pipe.

One bolt is 10mm on the 86/87 200X, the other 3 are 8mm clearance. If you need 3 + 1 = 4 bushings I can make them fairly easily, only 4$ to ship first class...
    Okay, I'll let you know if I need you to make them up. Thanks.
    Jason

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //