//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Atc200s shifting issues

207wheelin is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

Wink Atc200s shifting issues

Well I usually just come here to read your posts and learn a lot from them. I have a fleet of ATC's that I trail ride with my family. A 200m 2 200s's and a 185s.

I built my daughters 200s last year, wiseco 10.25 to 1 piston, 200x cam and carb, new clutch shoes, discs and heavy duty springs. After a hard run through the gears it gets hard to shift between gears up or down. The shifter feels very tight. If I push the shifter with extra force it will go back to normal. Any ideas what's going on before I tear this thing back down? I really enjoy reading about your projects and new acquisitions.

Keep bringing em back to life everyone.
    207wheelin

--
    I seem to recall reading that the stiffer clutch springs would make the shifter harder to move. By the way, you don't have to post just for problems. You could show us some pictures from a ride or even just some trike pics. We like those.

--
    [IMG][/IMG]

--
    The green 200m I built for my son. We call it the mule. It hauls us and our fishing and hunting equipment. We trail ride these machines a lot in the summer. I usually ride the 200s. It's only modification is lower gearing as some of our trails are very rough and it's nice to have the ability to creep along. I will post up some pics of my daughters modified 200s tommorow. We call it the Mutant. It has 400ex rear plastic,350x front fender and a recovered seat. It's a blast to ride with the high comp piston, 200x cam and carb, dg exhaust. It's the machine I wish I had as a kid.
    My next project is a 80 atc110 for my youngest daughter. It needs rings, paint, and assembly. It also has 400ex rear plastic and will be the first project in my new garage. This winter I have a little work to do on each of our trail machines to make sure they are 100% for next spring. I will share some pictures as we bring them in.
    I really enjoy working on these machines. With a little work each season they provide hours and hours of riding and are very dependable.
    Take care

--
    You can try adjusting the clutch.

If it's too loose, the clutch won't disengage when shifting, causing a hard shift because the gears still have a load on them.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    [IMG][/IMG]
    This is a pic of the whole fleet before a long day of dusty trail riding.

--
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Here is one of me a d my daughter checking out a trail for the first time.

--
    That group photo looks like a group getting ready to have a good time for sure! Here's some from my first time river riding. Mine is the 250ES with the blue and white cooler.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	265363Click image for larger version. 

Name:	022.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	971.7 KB 
ID:	265364Click image for larger version. 

Name:	008.JPG 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	265365Click image for larger version. 

Name:	009.JPG 
ID:	265366

--
    This may sound to simple, did you adjust the adjustment nut on the right side case?
    what oil are you using? something for wet clutches I hope.

I have used the HD springs several times with no issues, NOW i did have an issue when they sent me the wrong springs, they were to long, and coil bound
    when I tightened them down, I didn't notice until it was all back together and it would not shift at all, I swapped them for the old factory springs and
    it works great now.
    I would loosen the adjustment nut if you can, see if that makes any difference, it may be to stiff springs, I use EBC springs now, I used no names in the past and got burned.
    order up some EBC springs there like 15$ on ebay, tear it down once, change the springs, and compare the new EBC to what you take out.
    MrC.
    mrc_builds on YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmw...confirmation=1

My Addiction
    85 200m "Tallahassee"
    84 200x "SouthPort"
    84 200x "Van Halen"
    84 250r "lucky"
    85 250sx "Enterprise"
    85 350x "The Money Pit"
    85 350x Code Red
    86 250r "Unicorn"
    86 trx250r
    88 Lt250r Suzuki

mrc_builds saves trikes like Jimmy Swaggart saved souls back in the day -said Patriot1

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    That group photo looks like a group getting ready to have a good time for sure! Here's some from my first time river riding. Mine is the 250ES with the blue and white cooler.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006.JPG 
ID:	265363Click image for larger version. 

Name:	022.JPG 
Size:	971.7 KB 
ID:	265364Click image for larger version. 

Name:	008.JPG 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	265365Click image for larger version. 

Name:	009.JPG 
ID:	265366
    River riding looks like ATC swimming to me. I bet that was a blast. We get into some mud and water when the trails first open up but once summer is here it's a dust bowl.

--
    I used the EBC springs and Barnett clutches and steels.
    Also used EBC shoes on the centrifugal clutch. It shifts great under normal conditions but when you put a hard load on it or really it through the gears the shifter gets hard to move. I think this winter when doing maintenance on it I'll pull the cover off and tear the clutches down to see what everything looks like after 2 seasons of riding.
    My other 200s is starting to slip in the higher gears and will need a clutch soon. What clutch do you reccomend for a stock replacement?
    Thanks for your advice.
    207wheelin

--
    Your brand choice is fine, I was under the impression this was a recent repair, since it has two seasons of riding on it, now I'm not sure.
    you say it shifts fine until you ride hard then it doesn't want to shift into the next gear.
    so its speed or load related. Are you letting off the gas when you shift? or are you steady holding the gas and shifting?
    how much slop is in the linkage? could that be binding?

I use EBC or "The clutch factory" for my personal bikes, I use off brand ebay brands for my flip bikes. honestly other than being sent the wrong parts (once) I have never had any issues with any of them. I have done about 7/8 clutch jobs this year.

MrC.
    mrc_builds on YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmw...confirmation=1

My Addiction
    85 200m "Tallahassee"
    84 200x "SouthPort"
    84 200x "Van Halen"
    84 250r "lucky"
    85 250sx "Enterprise"
    85 350x "The Money Pit"
    85 350x Code Red
    86 250r "Unicorn"
    86 trx250r
    88 Lt250r Suzuki

mrc_builds saves trikes like Jimmy Swaggart saved souls back in the day -said Patriot1

--
    It has happened to my daughter a couple times and she always let's of the throttle to shift. I think it's probably a good idea to pull it apart and look it over. The only time I ever ride it is to blow off a little steam and I'll be honest, I dont let off the throttle for long. With the performance parts and upgrades it's a really fun machine to ride. The 200s that needs a new clutch also needs a top end rebuild do toosmoking a bit. I plan to install a 200x piston and cam plus a new clutch kit. Last year I pulled the clutches and scuffed em with sandpaper and it worked fine for 1 season.
    Thanks again everyone for your ideas I will let you know what I find on teardown. If you think of anything else let me know. To show you how much I appreciate your help I have another pic for you.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 207wheelin View Post
    River riding looks like ATC swimming to me. I bet that was a blast. We get into some mud and water when the trails first open up but once summer is here it's a dust bowl.
    I don't really care much for riding in the mud or water. Once I get started, I really enjoy it. It's just getting me to start. I thought it was perfect, but these guys all live for river ridingand were disappointed that the water was so low. The pictures of the two guys in the water was about the deepest spot. I had my 1983 185S along and wanted to get it wet too, but we never went back until we were done.

--
    Besides adjusting the clutch also check your idle speed.... I have had them where they will be idling too fast after they warm up and its harder to shift, because the centrifugal clutch is just starting to slip at too high of an idle speed. Beyond that go back in and check on things.

And welcome to the community!
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1984 Honda ATC200ES "Big Red"
    1982 ATC200E "Hondie"
    1988 TRX300FW "Project Quad" Still in progress....

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //