//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Big red carburetor

mooseknuckle is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

Big red carburetor

Hi everyone, its great to be back! I’m looking for a carb expert. I have a 1985 Atc250es I picked up recently and of coarse someone had been into the carb and broke the “choke” plunger and the idle air mixture jet. I bought a great carb from Flyingw years ago for my previous trike, does anyone know if he is still working his magic? And if not does anyone know of a good source for a carburetor ready to go?
    TIA

--
    As far as I know, Jim's still doing this. There's a few others on here who do work on these carbs too. With the one that came with my 250ES, the pilot jet was stuck so badly that the previous owner broke off the top pieces that make up the screwdriver slot. I could have drilled it out and used a screw extractor, but I bought a 300EX carb instead. I much prefer the choke lever over the problematic cable and plunger. That's not mentioning the fact that the 300EX carb has a removable plug in the bottom of the bowl for easy main jet changes. I don't have to remove the carb for riding at higher altitudes now. I just tip it to the side.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    As far as I know, Jim's still doing this. There's a few others on here who do work on these carbs too. With the one that came with my 250ES, the pilot jet was stuck so badly that the previous owner broke off the top pieces that make up the screwdriver slot. I could have drilled it out and used a screw extractor, but I bought a 300EX carb instead. I much prefer the choke lever over the problematic cable and plunger. That's not mentioning the fact that the 300EX carb has a removable plug in the bottom of the bowl for easy main jet changes. I don't have to remove the carb for riding at higher altitudes now. I just tip it to the side.
    Duuude!! Thank you for the reply! I was considering trying one from '86 trx250x, I'll look into a 300ex carb
    Last edited by mooseknuckle; 11-28-2020 at 08:59 PM. Reason: dyslexia

--
    how was the fitment of the throttle cable? Any mods needed?

--
    Nope. No mods needed. In case I didn't mention it, the 250ES has a bigger Main jet than the 300EX does. So use the settings for a 250ES including the air/fuel screw. IIRC, the two had slightly different settings for it too. I believe that the pilot jest are the same size. If your machine is stock, using the stock sizes/settings will work fine. If there's been mods such as an aftermarket exhaust added, then you'll have to use trial and error if you can't get the jets out of the 250ES carb. I don't know much about the 250Xs to even have a guess if that carb will work on a 250ES. A 300EX carb is a VERY tight fit inside the 250Es frame, but it does fit. I actually have to remove the throttle cable from the carb in order to rotate it enough to rejet. I pull it loose from the throttle first and then work backward since it threads into the carbs (both the 250 and 300 carbs). I think it's still MUCH easier to do than to remove the carb entirely.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    Nope. No mods needed. In case I didn't mention it, the 250ES has a bigger Main jet than the 300EX does. So use the settings for a 250ES including the air/fuel screw. IIRC, the two had slightly different settings for it too. I believe that the pilot jest are the same size. If your machine is stock, using the stock sizes/settings will work fine. If there's been mods such as an aftermarket exhaust added, then you'll have to use trial and error if you can't get the jets out of the 250ES carb. I don't know much about the 250Xs to even have a guess if that carb will work on a 250ES. A 300EX carb is a VERY tight fit inside the 250Es frame, but it does fit. I actually have to remove the throttle cable from the carb in order to rotate it enough to rejet. I pull it loose from the throttle first and then work backward since it threads into the carbs (both the 250 and 300 carbs). I think it's still MUCH easier to do than to remove the carb entirely.
    Awesome! I’ve got a 300 carb coming to me from my bro-in-law. I knew I’d have to adjust the air/fuel to BR specs and figured on using the BR jets also. Thanks for your help!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //